This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
    Personally, I would have no problem signing Atogwe to a two year $10m deal because he's a playmaker and thats what we need in the secondary. He'll be an upgrade over Goldson and if Goldson is looking for $5m+ a year, I let him walk as an UFA. If he returns as an RFA due to the next CBA, then, I would probably tender him at a third round level. Either way, I still sign Atogwe because he would easily be the best safety we have on our roster and worse case scenario, we have Atogwe, Goldson, Mays, Smith and Taylor for 2011 which would be great depth.
    Yes, this makes sense Dan. A realistic scenario if the Niners don't see a long-term future with Goldson. Wouldn't hurt to have safety depth. CB depth would be even better. I'm thinking that Atogwe will command more than a 2 year deal. The Niners might have to 3 or 4 years to get a deal done.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
      Yes, this makes sense Dan. A realistic scenario if the Niners don't see a long-term future with Goldson. Wouldn't hurt to have safety depth. CB depth would be even better. I'm thinking that Atogwe will command more than a 2 year deal. The Niners might have to 3 or 4 years to get a deal done.
      Atogwe has forced 44 turnovers in the last five seasons which is amazing and something we definitely need in the secondary. If SF needs to make the deal longer than so be it but he could always be signed to a phony long term deal like the one he signed with STL last June. Sad part is that Atogwe is still interested in re-signing with STL which is stupid in my opinion. Team released him twice and since he's going to be 30 in a few months, this is the last time that he'll get a chance to get a big deal. I think that STL is going to screw him again so if im Baalke, I go after Atogwe now.

And I agree with you about CB depth which is why I would sign Marshall as an UFA, keep Spencer and draft Peterson/Prince at 7. Add Brown, Adams and Brock and I would say that we have the best depth we've had in years at CB.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        Atogwe has forced 44 turnovers in the last five seasons which is amazing and something we definitely need in the secondary.
        Who cares about what he did that far back? He's not in his mid-20s any more.

Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        If SF needs to make the deal longer than so be it but he could always be signed to a phony long term deal like the one he signed with STL last June. Sad part is that Atogwe is still interested in re-signing with STL which is stupid in my opinion.
        Maybe he likes living where he's been for so long?

Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        Team released him twice and since he's going to be 30 in a few months, this is the last time that he'll get a chance to get a big deal. I think that STL is going to screw him again so if im Baalke, I go after Atogwe now.
        That's all speculation; surely he understands that the NFL is a business and his being released is a product of the system, as well as the current CBA situation.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by txparkes49x View Post
          I love goldson but if the money is right, id take atogwe. For FS and Mays could finally play the SS he can be with a very good consistent FS as opposed to a good FS.
          Doubt Mays will start though, Reggie is better.

Comment

• updated mock:

1. patrick robinson - cb

2. sam acho - olb/de

3. ryan mallet - qb

4. jeron wilson - s

4. derrick locke - rb

5. demarcus van dyke - cb

6. jake kirkpatrick - c

6. owen marecic - fb

7. kenrick ellis - dt

7. jeff mahel - wr

Comment

• I don't think highly of Mallett, but I don't see him falling that far unless he just blows it in combine interviews.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• I wouldn't take Mallett in the 7th round

Comment

• Even if Mallett slips i dont think Harbaugh would want him. He doesn't fit the system at all.

I still have a slight hunch that we will take Locker. Not saying i want to but it wouldn't shock me. He still has the combine, pro day and interviews to improve his stock. His accuracy is a concern, but everything else Harbaugh wants in a QB Locker has. And I get the feeling character and work ethic are very important to Harbaugh. Locker's intangibles are second to none, he wants to be great. I think Harbaugh can teach accuracy, and he knows it. He's talking highly of Alex and has even called him accurate when he clearly has been inconsistent in that department. You look at how accurate he made Josh Johnson and Andrew Luck at the collegiate level. Look at the accuracy spike Rich Gannon had when Harbaugh was his QB coach. He could definitely look at Locker as a guy he could mold into a heck of a QB in a year or two.

Comment

• Chapo, nice mock for all rounds.I doubt Mallet slips into the third round.Though we could take a chance on him in round two,it would still be a steal.I like him or Ponder in Round 2.Mehli would be a nice pick up at slow WR for us. Not sure if we need to draft to CBs but if dyke is bpa sure why not. All other rounds are good though.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                      Doubt Mays will start though, Reggie is better.
                      Even though they have the investment in Mays I hope they bring in a cheap vet SS to compete for the job. Reggie was sound but I wasn't impressed. He just seems a step to slow to be a starter and Mays still a year away. But I know realistically SS is going to be low on the list.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                        I don't think highly of Mallett, but I don't see him falling that far unless he just blows it in combine interviews.
                        Or gets nailed with blow on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
                          Or gets nailed with blow on him.
                          Damn, was that a reference to Matt Jones?!

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

• Originally posted by 49erNation85 View Post
                            Chapo, nice mock for all rounds.I doubt Mallet slips into the third round.Though we could take a chance on him in round two,it would still be a steal.I like him or Ponder in Round 2.Mehli would be a nice pick up at slow WR for us. Not sure if we need to draft to CBs but if dyke is bpa sure why not. All other rounds are good though.
                            well, thank you.

mallet i think will have the clausen affect where he will drop...maybe not a ton but he won't go in the 1st round for sure.

ponder, not really feeling his game play. i'd rather make a move for josh johnson or kevin kolb over spending time to work with ponder.

mehli is not a quick AT ALL but he does have good hands & can factor in as 3-4th wideout in certain plays. kyle williams still needs to play.

my thing with the 2 cbs are this. clements is going to want some money & spencer has played poorly in my book. sf hasn't had a good young corner in some time. it's time they look into drafting 1-2. again, this my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by chapo123 View Post
                              sf hasn't had a good young corner in some time. it's time they look into drafting 1-2. again, this my opinion.
                              Also have to consider the severity of Phillip Adams' ankle injury. It's not a certainty that he will be able to regain any potentially lost speed, and as a CB, speed simply cannot be lost.

I wanted the 49ers to draft 2 or 3 CBs last draft and my opinion hasn't drastically altered entering this draft season.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                                Also have to consider the severity of Phillip Adams' ankle injury. It's not a certainty that he will be able to regain any potentially lost speed, and as a CB, speed simply cannot be lost.

I wanted the 49ers to draft 2 or 3 CBs last draft and my opinion hasn't drastically altered entering this draft season.
                                Yes, Adams' injury is a concern. Because he is so physical, he may be able to make a switch to safety if he's lost a little speed but still shows potential, but his best chance to make the 53 is to prove he's capable of being a CB for the Niners.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information