Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondary wise, I would still go after Atogwe to play FS, start Mays at SS, sign UFA CB Richard Marshall, release Clements the next day, draft Peterson/Prince at 7 and keep Spencer as the nickelback. Brown, Adams and Brock rounds out the CB depth with backups Smith and Taylor at SS and FS respectively.

Comment

• Just a couple thoughts before class starts:

Ras I Dowling - love this kid, wanted him last year, would we have to take him in round 2 to have a shot? There's no way he goes to the 3rd does he?

Brent - The return of the sig, feels like home around here.
      Originally posted by Babylon
      It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Looks like Baas' stock just went up a little more to the Niners.

Source: Panthers tag center Ryan Kalil

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6147197

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
        Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
          Source: Panthers tag center Ryan Kalil
          http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6147197
          I thought teams were expecting the tag to go away?

Originally posted by king2am View Post
          Brent - The return of the sig, feels like home around here.
          The draft is upon us, thus it returns. However, I am still celebrating that Giants WS win.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
            I thought teams were expecting the tag to go away?

The draft is upon us, thus it returns. However, I am still celebrating that Giants WS win.
            Yes, the franchise tag may soon be useless, but it's still TBD. There has been discussion that even if the tag disappears, there may be an extra year option added for teams to tender younger players (like Kalil and Goldson). It shows their commitment level to him, and if anyone was thinking he might hit FA as a 2 time Pro Bowl C, think again.

F*** yes. Still celebrating the Giants WS win is a must!

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
              Secondary wise, I would still go after Atogwe to play FS, start Mays at SS, sign UFA CB Richard Marshall, release Clements the next day, draft Peterson/Prince at 7 and keep Spencer as the nickelback. Brown, Adams and Brock rounds out the CB depth with backups Smith and Taylor at SS and FS respectively.
              Anyone banking on Mays starting, is very questionable.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                maybe so, he saw limited playing tie as a rookie b/c of coverage problems & adapting to the pro game with its speed, complexity of defense, etc.

He better Get It as a 2nd yr. guy or they will start using that b-word (bust) about him. I still have hope for him as their SS of the future though

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                  He was a high second round draft pick and if Smith goes into the regular season without an extension, there would be no reason NOT to start Mays. Personally, I think he's a superior Michael Lewis but like Lewis, needs a playmaking coverage FS *coughAtogwecough* to be good. Mays weak link is in coverage but then again, most SS are weak in coverage which is why they're SS and not FS.

Also, I dont think Smith is that good either. He's had three seasons and hasnt impressed me at all which is why I think they drafted Mays to begin with but regardless of who the starting SS is in 2011, they still need a playmaking coverage FS period.

Comment

• With two days left to franchise tag players, is management going to tag Franklin again? Personally, im hoping that they do because without a good NT, we're screwed. I know $14m is probably high for Franklin but I wouldnt mind it because im still avoiding a long term deal while keeping a starter for another year which would hopefully give the team time to develop Jean-Francois or someone else to replace him in 2012.

Thoughts???

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                      With two days left to franchise tag players, is management going to tag Franklin again? Personally, im hoping that they do because without a good NT, we're screwed. I know $14m is probably high for Franklin but I wouldnt mind it because im still avoiding a long term deal while keeping a starter for another year which would hopefully give the team time to develop Jean-Francois or someone else to replace him in 2012.

Thoughts???
                      There is no way they tag Franklin at that price tag. It would make more sense to work out a long term deal with him if they wanted to spend big money.

Jean-Francois made improvements last year when Franklin was holding out, but he's not an elite NT option for the future. If he's the Niners starting NT, you'll see that front struggle as a result.

Comment

• Yeah, $14m is high but if they sign him to a long term deal and give him at least $10m guaranteed, I would much rather see them franchise him for one more season and then let him go in 2012 and hope that we have his replacement by then. Who our NT will be in 2011 and beyond is just one reason why I was hoping they were going to go back to the 4-3. Oh well.

Comment

• Probably not a popular opinion, but I have wanted us to go back to the 4-3 for years now. All the more reason to now, having no true NT or sack artist at rush LB. Sounds like Fangio will keep us as a 3-4 though, so oh well.

Comment

• Looks like Manny Lawson is on the way out.

Fangio believes in a 3-4 defense, with outside linebackers as primary pass rushers and frequent blitzes. He has apparently not been impressed by the play of Manny Lawson, now a free agent, so itís unlikely the 49ers will try to persuade Lawson to return.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/nfl...#ixzz1EobcoVSF

Comment

• Good. Lawson was a huge disappointment for me.
                              The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Fangio hasnt been impressed with Lawson??? Hmmmm, I wonder if he's been impressed with Harlason or Brooks??? If so, our defense is in trouble.

Personally, i would re-sign Lawson as he's easily better than Haralson and Brooks. He just needs a pure pass rusher opposite him.

It's looking like our defense is going to be crap in 2011. Lawson, Franklin, Goldson and Spikes all appear to be on the way out with Clements 50/50.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information