Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny Lawson is a solid player but he's a lot better suited for the 4-3. He's going to make a 4-3 defense like the Giants or Eagles very happy I'd say, so good for him if we let him go. I understand since he doesn't seem to fit Fangio's system. No use throwing big money at a player that doesn't fit. Still sucks since we are bad at the position and only makes it worse.

Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I think Dashon Goldson will definitely be back. I think Nate Clements will be back after a renegotiation and I don't really see why they can't get something worked out with Aubrayo Franklin if they want him back. Franklin's just worrisome because he's still never really played that great when he's not in a contract year. I love Takeo Spikes but Navarro Bowman was just drafted last year as a replacement and I think he's at least capable if Takeo wants to go. And Lawson is good but doesn't fit Fangio's profile of an outside linebacker, so it's going to be wasted money if he's just a square peg in a round hole.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of work to do but I don't think it's a doomsday scenario.

Comment

• Lawson has been a dissapointment here. Maybe he'll suit the 4-3, but it's clear that he's terrible in the 3-4. Good bye. I will not miss you Manny.

Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
      Fangio hasnt been impressed with Lawson??? Hmmmm, I wonder if he's been impressed with Harlason or Brooks??? If so, our defense is in trouble.

Personally, i would re-sign Lawson as he's easily better than Haralson and Brooks. He just needs a pure pass rusher opposite him.

It's looking like our defense is going to be crap in 2011. Lawson, Franklin, Goldson and Spikes all appear to be on the way out with Clements 50/50.
      Losing Goldson, Clements, and Lawson might be a good thing.
      Last edited by Ness; 02-24-2011, 04:00 AM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• All we need to do is hit on a pass-rusher in the draft, and all problems will be solved. If only it were easy to find the Clay Matthews' in the draft...

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
          maybe so, he saw limited playing tie as a rookie b/c of coverage problems & adapting to the pro game with its speed, complexity of defense, etc.

He better Get It as a 2nd yr. guy or they will start using that b-word (bust) about him. I still have hope for him as their SS of the future though
          Mays is a stiff, get used to it. Terrible pick.

Comment

• Lawson never fit the 3-4, Haralson is worse. Looking forward to the new staff cleaning out this garbage. If Brooks can learn the system, I think he can be productive, the athleticism is all there. Robert Quinn, Von Miller, Aldon Smith would all be great.

Comment

• If Lawson is not re-signed, that moves OLB to the top of the list for the 7th pick, where Miller and Quinn will be the targets. There is some decent depth at CB and QB that can be found in the 2nd (and possibly 3rd) rounds.

I still think Lawson is a unique athlete that would do well as an all-around OLB, opposite a dominant pass rusher.

We have to trust that the Niner's coaches (who have coaching experience, access to practice & game tape, the players, etc.) will make the right call on personnel for both the short and long term.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
              Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                Yeah, $14m is high but if they sign him to a long term deal and give him at least $10m guaranteed, I would much rather see them franchise him for one more season and then let him go in 2012 and hope that we have his replacement by then. Who our NT will be in 2011 and beyond is just one reason why I was hoping they were going to go back to the 4-3. Oh well.
                I am with you as well on this, not the 4-3 part. This team has been looking for a NT for years and they finally have a proven one and are giving him the chance to walk away. I would have franchised him just to cover our asses. Elite NT are just as hard to find as Elite QBs and pass rushers so the price is worth it. I could see maybe with FA happening late it would force Franklin to take a loaded one year deal just so he can hit the market again next season but I wouldn't take that risk.

Comment

• What players are on y'all short list for free agency?

Lets be realistic about this as well, I highly doubt be get Nnamdi!

Here is my top 10:

NT Paul Soliai
                  OLB Mathias Kiwanuka
                  S George Wilson
                  QB Matt Hasselbeck
                  OLB Kamerion Wimbley
                  S O.J. Atogwe
                  WR Malcolm Floyd
                  QB Seneca Wallace
                  NT Pat Williams
                  WR Mark Clayton

I am not a huge fan of FA, but there are some players I like this year. I look for deals though, players who are getting away because their team has depth at their position. I also don't think the Niners are too many pieces away from a playoff team. I would rather fill most holes in the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by thediggler3030 View Post
                    What players are on y'all short list for free agency?

Lets be realistic about this as well, I highly doubt be get Nnamdi!

Here is my top 10:

NT Paul Soliai
                    OLB Mathias Kiwanuka
                    S George Wilson
                    QB Matt Hasselbeck
                    OLB Kamerion Wimbley
                    S O.J. Atogwe

WR Malcolm Floyd
                    QB Seneca Wallace
                    NT Pat Williams
                    WR Mark Clayton

I am not a huge fan of FA, but there are some players I like this year. I look for deals though, players who are getting away because their team has depth at their position. I also don't think the Niners are too many pieces away from a playoff team. I would rather fill most holes in the draft.
                    I bolded the 3 that I think are worth looking at the most, but it's all circumstantial with the labor situation. I have a feeling that FA is going to likely suck or be all but eliminated this offseason, with teams plugging holes in training camp.

Mark Clayton has the warning label "older Brandon Jones experiment gone bad" written all over him. I'd rather they make sure that Morgan stays on the team.

They may have some chance at Nnamdi, allowing them to cut Clements or offer him a very reduced salary. CB is definitely a big position of need for the Niners.

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

• 49ers Bleacher Report gave us :

1. Patrick Peterson
                      2. Jake Locker
                      3. Dontay Moch
                      4a. Ronald Johnson
                      4b. Sione Fua
                      5. Zach Hurd
                      6a. Noel Devine
                      6b. Wayne Daniels
                      7a. Alex Green
                      7b. Buster Skrine

I thought this was a really good mock draft for us, damn near perfect imo. i wanted your guys opinions on it.
                      San Francisco 49ers: 5 Super Bowls
                      Auburn Tigers: 2 National Championships

Comment

• Originally posted by txparkes49x View Post
                        49ers Bleacher Report gave us :

1. Patrick Peterson
                        2. Jake Locker
                        3. Dontay Moch
                        4a. Ronald Johnson
                        4b. Sione Fua
                        5. Zach Hurd
                        6a. Noel Devine
                        6b. Wayne Daniels
                        7a. Alex Green
                        7b. Buster Skrine

I thought this was a really good mock draft for us, damn near perfect imo. i wanted your guys opinions on it.
                        I like it aside from Locker.

Comment

• What Harbaugh thinks of Carr

Harbaugh's scouting-combine experience promises to be vastly different than his 2002 experience with the Raiders when he was an offensive quality control coach. Back then, his job involved a lot of grunt work and a lot of computer input. He also was asked to evaluate the quarterbacks.
                          I asked Harbaugh about his evaluation of David Carr, the No. 1 overall pick that year. His response was preceded by a long pause ... "What my personal evaluation was of him? Yeah, I mean, it was good. Good player coming out of Fresno State. It was good."

According to a source, Harbaugh rated Carr as a sixth-round pick.

This just makes me trust his opinion even more.

Comment

• Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                            What Harbaugh thinks of Carr

This just makes me trust his opinion even more.
                            I want to know what he would have had Alex rated as in 2005.

He seems to like him a lot now, but I can't tell if it's as he really sees something, or he just looks at the alternative QB options and the pending issues with the CBA.

Maybe Habaugh will find a guy or two he likes this weekend at the Combine to target in the middle rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                              If we let go Goldson and negoiate Clements down or cut him. That could help open up for Atogwe, Mays/R. Smith could play SS, Clements and Peterson would be a solid secondary imo.
                              San Francisco 49ers: 5 Super Bowls
                              Auburn Tigers: 2 National Championships

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                                Eh, if Harbaugh wants Locker, then I'll trust his opinion.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information