Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The vast majority of 49ers fans simply don't want Gabbert or Newton regardless of what more knowledgable people think about them. I think it's mainly fear driven based on Alex Smith's track record. If Harbaugh has Gabbert as his #1 QB and rated as highly as many other reported "experts", I think he wouldn't hesitate at all to take him at #7.

But as for what the 49ers do if PP and Miller are taken...

It wouldn't surprise me to see HarBaalke move UP to get their man. And I wouldn't be against it.

Comment

• 49ers schedule:
      http://www.nfl.com/schedules/interactive#/team=SF
      Notable games:
      -First game is at home vs Seattle
      -3 prime time games. Thanksgiving is the "Harbaugh Bowl"
      -Short week between 15 and 16. MNF at home vs Steelers and then fly up to Seattle for a Saturday night game
      -Just like last season final weeks may determine divison. 4 of last 5 games against divison oppenents.

I'm most fired up for week 2. Cowboys coming to the Stick. Gotta get tickets to that game.

Comment

• I dont think that its a tough decision at all because its amazing that people seem to forget that if Luck was in the draft, NO ONE would even be talking about Newton and/or Gabbert and neither would be a top ten draft pick. This is basically 2005 all over again but unlike 2005, I say draft the best player at a position of need.

QB may be our biggest need but it doesnt have the best player available at that position. CB has the best player in Peterson and the second best player at CB would be Prince and BOTH are better than either Newton/Gabbert/QB of choice in my opinion and are worth the 7th overall draft pick.

While I would love Peterson the most, if he drops to 7 and HOU wants him as badly as the rumors say they do, I would trade down to 11 if they give me their 2012 first rounder and while the value is definitely in our favor (unless HOU gets in the playoffs in 2011), the Texans could definitely use a CB like Peterson to shutdown half the field especially when you're playing Manning twice a season. Not only that but the defense is bad and will be in a transition year as they're going back to the 3-4. A player of Peterson's caliber easily warrants a future first rounder.

While very unlikely, if Newton/Gabbert was to fall to 7 with Peterson and WSH wants Newton/Gabbert that badly and want to give me their 10th overall draft pick plus their 2012 first rounder, I would do that trade instead but right afterwards, I would offer my 10th overall draft pick and my 4th rounder to TEN for number 8 because Peterson would still be there. I trade up and then make the same offer to HOU for Peterson.

Imagine that, getting the Redskins and Texans first rounders for 2012 and have our own. Then, draft Prince at 10. We have our franchise CB and three first rounders in 2012 which would definitely be enough to move all the way up to number one for QB Andrew Luck. Of course, HOU could offer TEN more to move up to 8 and if thats the case, oh well. At least I would still get Prince and have two first rounders in 2012.

Personally, I have a feeling that Harbaugh is going to use Newton, Gabbert, Peterson and Green as trade bait for a 2012 first rounder. While Luck could stay in school for 2012, I think Harbaugh knows that he wont and will make sure he does whatever he has to do in order to get him in 2012. Not only that but why else would he try to re-sign Smith to a one year deal? It's because Harbaugh is going to use 2011 as a transition year (which it is), solidify other positions that need to be solidified and then just sit back and wait to get Luck(y) in 2012. So, in 8 days if Harbaugh someway somehow comes away with an extra first rounder for 2012 from a team like WSH or HOU who could have a top 15 or top 10 draft pick in 2012, dont be surprised if he passes on a QB altogether and waits for 2012 to draft one instead.

And here's a question for everyone here -

While it's unlikely to happen, if Newton, Gabbert, Miller, Peterson and Prince are all drafted in the top 6 but CLE passes on WR A.J. Green, would you draft Green at 7 or trade down for a team that wants him (like WSH)?

Me personally, like with Peterson or a QB, I would want a 2012 first rounder in addition to the team's current first rounder but anything less than that, I draft him myself and move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
          But as for what the 49ers do if PP and Miller are taken...

It wouldn't surprise me to see HarBaalke move UP to get their man. And I wouldn't be against it.
          If Peterson and Miller are gone, I draft Prince/Green or trade down but still make sure I get Prince. If SF trades down and doesnt get Prince, I would trade down again a few spots and draft Pouncey. Solidify the OL and get rid of Rachal. With the extra draft picks, could always trade back into the first round for a CB, QB or an OLB.

Move up? For who exactly? Peterson? He's the only player I would even think about in regards to trading up but I seriously hope we dont at all. I stay at 7, draft Peterson/Prince/Green and move on or trade down if I can get a team's 2012 first rounder but still make sure I get Prince.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
            49ers schedule:
            http://www.nfl.com/schedules/interactive#/team=SF
            Notable games:
            -First game is at home vs Seattle
            -3 prime time games. Thanksgiving is the "Harbaugh Bowl"
            -Short week between 15 and 16. MNF at home vs Steelers and then fly up to Seattle for a Saturday night game
            -Just like last season final weeks may determine divison. 4 of last 5 games against divison oppenents.

I'm most fired up for week 2. Cowboys coming to the Stick. Gotta get tickets to that game.
            Our schedule looks pretty difficult. Combine that with a new coach and it could be another long season. Hopefully that long season is a promising one though.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
            Originally posted by Borat
            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
              Our schedule looks pretty difficult. Combine that with a new coach and it could be another long season. Hopefully that long season is a promising one though.
              I see 9 or 10 - call me an optimist.

5 in the NFC West
              Cincinnati
              Cleveland
              Washington
              Detroit

10 if we sweep the west. This seems far fetched but, I don't think there was any doubt who had the most talent on the field in our division. The debacle in SEA? Definitely not a refleciton of our talent.

Harbaugh will get them going, there's no film on us to start with...
              Originally posted by Babylon
              It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• I just hope they figure out this CBA sooner than later... with a new HC and new offense and chance of a new QB, we will need more time than others play at the highest level.

I would hope for 10 wins, but not sure we can do it if the lack of a CBA delays the start of mini camps/pre-season.

Comment

• Dan, just wondering how you're coming up with these draft pick trade values. Why does it cost a 2012 1st rounder to move up from 10 to 7, but then it only costs a 4th rounder to move up from 10 to 8. It just seems so unlikely. If the Niners move down from 7 to 10 and pick up a future first, they surely will have to give that 1st up to move up from 10 to 8, which then makes that trade scenario practically worthless. Might as well just stay at 7 or 10.
                  The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
                    Dan, just wondering how you're coming up with these draft pick trade values. Why does it cost a 2012 1st rounder to move up from 10 to 7, but then it only costs a 4th rounder to move up from 10 to 8. It just seems so unlikely. If the Niners move down from 7 to 10 and pick up a future first, they surely will have to give that 1st up to move up from 10 to 8, which then makes that trade scenario practically worthless. Might as well just stay at 7 or 10.
                    I'm adding the Redskins 2012 first rounder because they always trade away draft picks to the point that the NFL should just eliminate them from the Draft completely. Also, Newton and his rolling out would be a perfect fit for the Shanahan twins offense. The third reason is that especially with the Redskins, they would be more willing to trade a future first in case there's no draft next year.

The last reason can also be added to HOU but also because HOU is rumored to be in love with Peterson and since their pass defense was horrible and they play Manning, they may want to go all out for Peterson.

As for us trading up from 10/11 to 8 for just a 4th rounder, it would be because both QB's are gone as well as Peterson and Green. Basically, the two QB's and the top two players in most rankings overall in the draft would be gone so there's no reason to go all out to move up to 8.

In short, I would use both QB's and Peterson/Green as trade bait with the hopes of getting WSH or HOU to give up their 2012 first rounder for a guy they covet more than anyone else. For me personally to give up Peterson or Green, a team would HAVE TO give me their 2012 first rounder in order for that team to get him guaranteed. If not, I draft Peterson or Green myself. Of course, if I was to somehow get that extra first rounder, I would probably give up my 3rd if needed to make sure im still able to get Prince.

Granted, giving up a 3rd to move up 2 or 3 spots may seem like much but im still getting a potential franchise CB in Prince and I still have that extra first rounder in 2012.

Quite simply, I dont see Harbaugh trading up period because there's no one worth trading up for. I do see Harbaugh trying to trade down if Peterson falls to 7 if he can get that first rounder because I believe that his sights are set on Luck next year and no one knows Luck better than Harbaugh and im pretty sure that if Harbaugh knows 100% that Luck will enter the NFL Draft in 2012, he's going to do whatever he can in order to get that extra first so he can move up next year.

With the lockout going on, new coaching staff, players coming and going (eventually), its going to be a transition year which is why Harbaugh tried to re-sign Alex Smith because he sees 2011 as a throwaway season if he knows 100% that Luck is coming out next year. Even if Luck plays bad in 2011, he'll still be a perfect fit for us and would still most likely be better than any QB that we would be drafting this year.

Excluding Luck, I think Harbaugh will eventually trade for a QB once the lockout ends, possibly two with Buccaneers QB Josh Johnson being almost a guarantee.

Oh well, im off from work Thursday and Friday and will be able to see who they draft for rounds 1-3. I'm just hoping that at 7, its not a QB or Quinn and I will most likely be a happy camper.

And Scott's new mock draft is up -

Our top three picks are -

CB Patrick Peterson
                    QB Ricky Stanzi
                    OLB Chris Carter

Love the Peterson pick but im 50/50 on the other two mainly because I dont know anything about either player since after first rounders, I dont bother.

Comment

• Interesting mock by Peter King who does a "will pick" and "should pick". He has us trading down and still getting Prince. I like that. He is also in "love" with Andy Dalton. Guess the King likes red hair.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

Comment

• Dan, we better not be wasting out time with a love fest on QB's and previous from JH.We need a fresh start in either this draft or FA.I still us either draft Dalton,Ponder or maybe we get and get Locker!

Dude for get this guy.If PP is there at 7 and we trade I will just ******* shoot my self in the foot. That would be the dumbest move ever.That guy doing the mock is a moron Dalton has no business going in the top 20 picks.We have a bigger need at CB then Houston does by far.Plus I really hope the 9ers do that.Just a waste of a trade.Instead we can get Peterson.
                        Last edited by 49erNation85; 04-21-2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by king2am View Post
                          I see 9 or 10 - call me an optimist.

5 in the NFC West
                          Cincinnati
                          Cleveland
                          Washington
                          Detroit

10 if we sweep the west. This seems far fetched but, I don't think there was any doubt who had the most talent on the field in our division. The debacle in SEA? Definitely not a refleciton of our talent.

Harbaugh will get them going, there's no film on us to start with...
                          Look at this brutality they call the Rams' first-half schedule...

1 Philadelphia Eagles
                          2 @ New York Giants
                          3 Baltimore Ravens
                          4 Washington Redskins
                          5 Bye
                          6 @ Green Bay Packers
                          7 @ Dallas Cowboys
                          8 New Orleans Saints

I see 2 wins tops.

Comment

• Originally posted by 49erNation85 View Post
                            Dude for get this guy.If PP is there at 7 and we trade I will just ******* shoot my self in the foot. That would be the dumbest move ever.That guy doing the mock is a moron Dalton has no business going in the top 20 picks.We have a bigger need at CB then Houston does by far.Plus I really hope the 9ers do that.Just a waste of a trade.Instead we can get Peterson.
                            I think Peterson would be a great pick... but it would be even better to get Prince and add another pick to allow us to trade back into the first round to get the QB JH wants.

The teams that are the best in the draft over time know that you will have more success with a quantity of pics. Bill Walsh pioneered that strategy and you now see the Patriots following that example. I would place an educated bet that JH would adopt that strategy as well.

Comment

• We all new this day was coming.Here is a good read on Peterson visit to SF today.It is a good read if I must say.here is a link.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...he_49ers_today

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                                Look at this brutality they call the Rams' first-half schedule...

1 Philadelphia Eagles
                                2 @ New York Giants
                                3 Baltimore Ravens
                                4 Washington Redskins
                                5 Bye
                                6 @ Green Bay Packers
                                7 @ Dallas Cowboys
                                8 New Orleans Saints

I see 2 wins tops.
                                I was jokingly going to say that all the 49ers had to win was 7 games to win the division and after looking at the Rams schedule that maybe the case again this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information