Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLB was also a bigger position of need for us, though. Clements is still a good corner and Spencer is at least decent at times, he was actually good before last year. The 49ers have no one across from Manny Lawson, if he is even resigned.

Comment

• Originally posted by fenikz View Post
      I disagree here, Harris & maybe House are the only year one starters left at CB while you got guys like Akeem Ayers, Brooks Reed, Justin Houston, Jabaal Sheard & even Martez Wilson at rushbacker

you may very well get Harris but OLB has more depth
      More depth NOW, but not likely at #45 and certainly not through the remainder of the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        As for Lawson, anyone who thinks that he sucks is a ******* moron. The reason everyone thinks Lawson is a disappointment is because since before we even drafted him, he was expected to be a pass rusher and get double digit sacks for us and because it didnt work out that way, everyone thinks that he sucks but he doesnt.
        same could be said about all busts. Ryan Leaf was supposef to be great but BECAUSE IT DIDNT WORK OUT THAT WAY, he's a bust.

Now im not calling Manny a bust but you are delusional if you think our pass rush wpuld have been well off without someone new.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
          same could be said about all busts. Ryan Leaf was supposef to be great but BECAUSE IT DIDNT WORK OUT THAT WAY, he's a bust.

Now im not calling Manny a bust but you are delusional if you think our pass rush wpuld have been well off without someone new.
          But Leaf sucked across the board, and was a bad teammate to boot. Lawson is great against the run and in coverage and he is not a bad pass rusher. Honestly, I don't understand the comparison?

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
            and Aldon Smith was top-5 on Baalke's board.

It surprised me because there wasn't even a whisper of it... but a GREAT pick.

If Von Miller is Clay Matthews then Aldon Smith is DeMarcus Ware.
            I have compared Smith to Willie McGinest, I think there are alot of similiarities to the two of them coming out myself.
            I have to say though, although I was surprised by the pick, I thought it made a ton of sense...
            Quick question, do you see any comparsion to him and Manny Lawson?
            "It must be contract year!"

Deion Sanders

Comment

• So who do you guys expect us to go for in round two?A trade up for QB,staying put and drafting a CB or WR maybe.Any ideas?

Comment

• I think he's different from Lawson. Lawson started out as a linebacker in college, then moved to defensive end, then back to linebacker. Smith is a much more natural pass rusher then Lawson. Not a workout warrior like Lawson either, but he's really explosive on the field. I can't see Smith ever being near as good in coverage like Lawson either.

Also, Wade Phillips has said that the Texans were looking at Aldon Smith at #11 for their pick. Say what you will about him as a head coach but the guy knows his sack artists, not a bad endorsement.

https://twitter.com/#!/evansilva/sta...96418540568577

Comment

• Originally posted by Arsenal View Post
                  I think he's different from Lawson. Lawson started out as a linebacker in college, then moved to defensive end, then back to linebacker. Smith is a much more natural pass rusher then Lawson. Not a workout warrior like Lawson either, but he's really explosive on the field. I can't see Smith ever being near as good in coverage like Lawson either.

Also, Wade Phillips has said that the Texans were looking at Aldon Smith at #11 for their pick. Say what you will about him as a head coach but the guy knows his sack artists, not a bad endorsement.

https://twitter.com/#!/evansilva/sta...96418540568577
                  Thanks for the input on Lawson, that makes sense.
                  I heard something like that (Phillips comments) on the radio the a.m. I was unable to push out a last mock, but in the partical one I had put together had moved Smith up to Houston, and Quinn down to the Lions. Philliips certainly has a defensive mind, and I would agree that is a strong endorsement for Smith.
                  "It must be contract year!"

Deion Sanders

Comment

• Smith is a more natural pass rusher than Lawson but he is nowhere near the overall athlete. They are very different players, imo

Comment

• Originally posted by 49erNation85 View Post
                      So who do you guys expect us to go for in round two?A trade up for QB,staying put and drafting a CB or WR maybe.Any ideas?
                      I would be ecstatic if we took Paea. Part of me wants Dowling but I think he'll make it to the 3rd. Just hoping for a solid guy. I wouldn't be surprise if we took another OLB. The more, the merrier. Just depends on what value certain positions have on our big board.

Comment

• I want Colin Kaepernick or Aaron Williams today

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post

First, I didnt say that we would be better off. I just said that CB is a bigger need and after Peterson/Prince, the talent level drops off where as at OLB, after Miller, there's a lot more depth.

Second, whether or not Smith becomes great or not remains to be seen but let's be realistic. Everyone here is going to expect him to probably win a starting spot and record at least 8+ sacks in 2011 and if he doesnt, people will start saying that he's a disappointment or a bust.

I personally would have traded down for a 2nd or 3rd, draft Prince and then an OLB later on in the draft. Phillips wanted Smith for HOU and whoever said that Phillips knows his pass rushers, who exactly would that be because he wanted Spencer in DAL and he's average at best and I prefer Lawson over him and Ware was drafted by Parcells so its not him.

Personally, if Wade wanted Smith at 11, I would have stayed far far away from him because while Wade is a good DC, he's not a guy who can find good players in the draft.

Back to us, I just wanted Prince more than Smith period. Whether or not either one becomes any good remains to be seen but one thing is for sure, Clements needs to be replaced sooner rather than later and no, I dont want Nnamdi Asomugha. I was hoping for Panthers CB Richard Marshall and either Peterson/Prince at 7 as our two new starting CB's. Oh well.

One thing that has puzzled me is I have a feeling that Harbaugh was pushing for Julio Jones at 7 because why else would ATL move that far up or him if they didnt think that SF was going to draft him.

And we can now definitely use another WR because the Cardinals having Peterson and Cromartie is going to suck for us. UGH.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            And we can now definitely use another WR because the Cardinals having Peterson and Cromartie is going to suck for us. UGH.
                            Wuuuhhh?

Why do we need a WR because the cards have two guys that can cover WRs?

They still don't have anyone that can cover Vernon, and Harbaugh's passing game runs through the TE - stop trying to panic over things.
                            Originally posted by Babylon
                            It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Still waiting on the compensation, but a quarterback with upside is a good thing for Harbaugh to spnd his free time on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rabscuttle View Post
                                Still waiting on the compensation, but a quarterback with upside is a good thing for Harbaugh to spnd his free time on.
                                45, 108, 141

Great move for us, love the pick.
                                Originally posted by Babylon
                                It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information