Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by phlysac View Post
    Culliver surprised me but Im happy with adding as many DBs that are 6'+ and run sub 4.4's

    We need speed in the secondary desperately
    One of the knocks I read on him is instincts. Can you imagine pairing him with Mays if that's true? Two safeties that are never where they should be.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Rabscuttle View Post
      One of the knocks I read on him is instincts. Can you imagine pairing him with Mays if that's true? Two safeties that are never where they should be.
      Instincts are difficult to judge when he changes positions every year.

      He was a top WR recruit out of HS. He played WR his Freshman year. Free Safety his Sophomore and Junior Years and Cornerback his Senior Year

      Comment


      • Sione Fua is gone - this is really early for him I think. I was hoping we could get him much later than this.

        Yeah, we have taken 3 raw players, but Aldon Smith I believe is going to be turned lose and he's a natural pass rusher. I'm not too concerned there.

        Kaepernick is a developmental kid, but if anyone is going to do it, it's Harbaugh - not as concerned as I would have been in years past.

        Culliver - dont know anything about him aside from he's a bigger guy, fast as hell, and we certainly need that in our secondary.

        Specimens, yes. But I do believe our football team is better after these last two days.
        Last edited by king2am; 04-29-2011, 09:29 PM.
        Originally posted by Babylon
        It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by phlysac View Post
          Instincts are difficult to judge when he changes positions every year.

          He was a top WR recruit out of HS. He played WR his Freshman year. Free Safety his Sophomore and Junior Years and Cornerback his Senior Year
          Fair enough. He's raw, but he better live football if he wants to catch up.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by king2am View Post
            Sione Fua is gone - this is really early for him I think. I was hoping we could get him much later than this.

            Yeah, we have taken 3 raw players, but Aldon Smith I believe is going to be turned lose and he's a natural pass rusher. I'm not too concerned there.

            Kaepernick is a developmental kid, but if anyone is going to do it, it's Harbaugh - not as concerned as I would have been in years past.

            Culliver - dont know anything about him aside from he's a bigger guy, fast as hell, and we certainly need that in our secondary.

            Specimens, yes. But I do believe our football team is better after these last two days.
            I like Aldon, he's drawn comparisons to Jason Pierre-Paul and even DeMarcus Ware if he reaches his potential. Interesting to note, Jim Leavitt coached Pierre Paul at USF, now he has Aldon Smith to mold..

            I like the Kaepernick pick too, he fits all of Harbaugh's requirements. Athletic instincts, mobile, leaderhsip, work ethic, accurate...a project, but if you're taking a project might as well go sky high.

            Culliver is the only question mark i have about the draft...don't like hearing he lacks instincts.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Rabscuttle View Post
              Fair enough. He's raw, but he better live football if he wants to catch up.
              Harbaugh said that the "wiring" in guys was very apparent and a reason why they are selecting these guys with lots of upside. Guys who love the game and love to get better and are willing to work is what you want to have as part of your draft class each year. Let's have faith that they evaluated them properly.


              #thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
              Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done


              "He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

              Comment


              • If we take another quarterback late, I'd love to roll the dice on Tyrod Taylor. Colin Kaepernick is an alright pick. Hopefully he pans out. I haven't watched much college ball so I haven't seen him play that much, but at this point in time I've giving Harbaugh the benefit of the doubt as our new head coach and assume he knows what he's doing. We shall see.
                Last edited by Ness; 04-30-2011, 04:00 AM.

                "Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                Originally posted by Borat
                Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Ness View Post
                  If we take another quarterback late, I'd love to roll the dice on Tyrod Taylor. Colin Kaepernick is an alright pick. Hopefully he pans out. I haven't watched much college ball so I haven't seen him play that much, but at this point in time I've giving Harbaugh the benefit of the doubt as our new head coach and assume he knows what he's doing. We shall see.
                  I have been wanting Tyrod ever since watching Three for the Show on ESPN.

                  I think that he is the prototypical (if there is one) 3rd string/developmental guy

                  Comment




                  • not sure why the youtube didn't work, but here's the link

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NNizpJO3gk
                    Last edited by king2am; 04-30-2011, 07:38 AM.
                    Originally posted by Babylon
                    It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

                    Comment


                    • Possible targets for the final day no particular order

                      Christian Ballard - Great value at this point, I know he's #1 for Scott - i just think he'd be a great addition to our front rotation

                      Taiwan Jones - Adds the speed back to the offense we've been lacking

                      Jalil Brown - I think he's my guy for the 4th round. Another big framed kid int he secondary

                      Sam Acho - You can never have enough of these guys

                      Greg Salas

                      Davon House

                      Marcus Cannon - I know Harbaugh is a ground and pound kind of guy, but does Cannon fit, or is he just far too large?

                      Virgil Green - With all the tape they watched on Kaepernick, and Harbaughs' love for TEs in his offense - I think if he's available in the 6th he's a slam dunk to be a 49er.

                      Owen Marecic - love the kid

                      Roy Helu Jr. - worth a shot I think, has all the physical ability and we need horses in the stable

                      Tyrod Taylor
                      Originally posted by Babylon
                      It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by king2am View Post
                        Possible targets for the final day no particular order

                        Christian Ballard - Great value at this point, I know he's #1 for Scott - i just think he'd be a great addition to our front rotation

                        Taiwan Jones - Adds the speed back to the offense we've been lacking

                        Jalil Brown - I think he's my guy for the 4th round. Another big framed kid int he secondary

                        Sam Acho - You can never have enough of these guys

                        Greg Salas

                        Davon House

                        Marcus Cannon - I know Harbaugh is a ground and pound kind of guy, but does Cannon fit, or is he just far too large?

                        Virgil Green - With all the tape they watched on Kaepernick, and Harbaughs' love for TEs in his offense - I think if he's available in the 6th he's a slam dunk to be a 49er.

                        Owen Marecic - love the kid

                        Roy Helu Jr. - worth a shot I think, has all the physical ability and we need horses in the stable

                        Tyrod Taylor
                        Good list. I wish SF didn't have such a huge gap between the 4th and 6th round picks. Would have been ideal to add another pass rusher (Acho, Carter) and then draft Owen Marecic with the 5th rounder.

                        But with just the 4th I would no issue taking Marecic. Knows the offense and can contribute on special teams. Also think if Edmond Gates is on the board they will think about him. Reminds me a lot of another WR they targeted in last year's draft in Emmanuel Sanders.

                        Other players I want to see targeted:
                        QB: T.J. Yates, Greg McElroy, Adam Froman (local pick!), Pat Devlin
                        RB: Hoping Jacquizz Rodgers falls to round 6 /crosses fingers (Not happening)
                        WR: Sales, Jeff Mahel

                        Would like to add a NT at some point in the draft. Jerrell Powe seems to be a good developmental project. Scrolling through the workout list the small school guys of WRs Raymond Webber, Jordan Watson, and OLB Marc Schiechl look like good flier picks with no ability to sign UDFA once the draft ends.

                        Comment


                        • Burton would be another corner to look at, Johnson at safety.

                          I haven't looked at receivers too much, but good west coast receivers tend to be tougher than Crabtree.

                          Comment


                          • I noticed a lot of you guys have questions about Culliver...

                            Another Niners poster asked me about him in the draft thread, here's that post. Any other questions about him, just ask. haha.

                            He's a fantastic athlete. Came to SCAR as a 5 star WR. Played WR, S, and CB at SCAR. Though his move from S to CB was more of a demotion, due to his suspect tackling ability and his lack of playmaking. His technique is unconventional/could use refinement, but he plays with a lot of swagger and has good overall range. He's a return guy, with excellent timed speed...however, I never saw that speed translate to his returns often. He is still a solid return man, though. He just doenst look like a 4.3 guy out there.

                            He needs work, but athletically speaking, he's a hell of a talent. And while he never became a major star in college, he was good player...who was normally solid in coverage and sometimes great. He does possess good cover skills and he showed a lot of flashes throughout his tenure at SCAR. And make no doubt about it...he's a corner in the pros.

                            Thanks BoneKrusher^

                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                            KO KNOWS

                            Comment


                            • my take on the 1st - 3rd picks.

                              1. aldon smith - don't know much about him so i can't say anything good/bad. on tape he looks the part. he needs to add some weight but the comparisons to demarcus ware i can live with that. its going to take some time but when he is ready looks like a guy who can be good. sort of a reach but it's early to tell.

                              2. colin kaepernick - did sf need a quaterback? yes. this guy needs work but this league is always looking for the next " mike vick " it seems. if anyone can work with him, its the coach. i hope this pick pans out.

                              3. chris culliver - another reach but consider this. he held his own against julio jones among other top wrs. he played wr so he has an idea of ins/outs of what they want to do. he can be coached. nobody has said anything bad about him other than needs to mature. i'm 28 and still get told that so go figure...

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                                Harbaugh said that the "wiring" in guys was very apparent and a reason why they are selecting these guys with lots of upside. Guys who love the game and love to get better and are willing to work is what you want to have as part of your draft class each year. Let's have faith that they evaluated them properly.
                                I'm hoping so. This wouldn't have worked with our last coaching staff, but Harbaugh and the coaches he surrounds himself with seem to get a lot out of their players.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information