This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
    Some more info on our newest CB Holcomb....

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...l-born-leader/
    If he was on the Packers radar, that has to be a plus. They've found recent success with under-the-radar CBs.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Nice to see someone got this up on youtube. Here is the NFL "Game Changer" series featuring Aldon Smith.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg-zL...eature=related

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
        If he was on the Packers radar, that has to be a plus. They've found recent success with under-the-radar CBs.
        I was thinking the same thing when I read it. And then there's this also....

Director of player personnel Tom Gamble noted that Holcomb had what the 49ers term a “plus workout” at his pro day. Baalke didn’t get into the specifics of what a “plus workout” is, but it’s obviously an indication of an impressive performance.

The Niners compiled a list of “plus workout” players and then had their pro staff do film research on them. If the staff believed the player was worthy of a cut-up, they passed that film along to Baalke and Gamble, who reviewed it.
        http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...re-dirty-bird/
        Last edited by VAfy-ya; 05-17-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• Still have no clue how Holcomb had to stand out as a Freshman to be voted team captain. 4 years as a team captain? Unheard of.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
            Still have no clue how Holcomb had to stand out as a Freshman to be voted team captain. 4 years as a team captain? Unheard of.
            Yeah, if you're going to take a late-round flier on a guy, he might as well be unique in good ways like this. Phillip Adams is going to have a lot of competition for a roster spot.

On the discussion of CBs, I could realistically see the Niners cutting Clements outright due to him not wanting to take as much of a pay cut as they'd like. That would make for a very young secondary.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
            Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

Yeah, if you're going to take a late-round flier on a guy, he might as well be unique in good ways like this. Phillip Adams is going to have a lot of competition for a roster spot.
              Quite possibly. Tramaine Brock and Will James, as well. Spillman if he doesn't move to Safety.

Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
              On the discussion of CBs, I could realistically see the Niners cutting Clements outright due to him not wanting to take as much of a pay cut as they'd like. That would make for a very young secondary.
              It would be terribly young. However, I don't think this is about Nate refusing a pay-cut. Discussions can't be made between the parties at all so it's kind of a moot point, unfortunately. I think it's a good sign that Nate has been working out with teammates. That shows that he at least hopes to be a 49er.

Comment

I think Adams is definitely makes the roster if he heals completely from that ankle. Baalke and the staff are very high on him and so am I. More likely either Holcomb, Brock, or Spillman are the odd men out. Jones looks to be drafted as a upgrade to Spillman. Will James won't be back. I believe Clements, Spencer, Taylor and Brown are all on the hot-seat. Clements and his contract will be the big story whenever the lockout ends. I like Spencer as a #2 CB but if a younger guy steps up, I have no problem letting him walk. Brown was extended 2 years ago, in the hopes of being starter in a year or two. Not even. A decent nickel-back but Culliver was brought in for a reason. Writing may be on the wall for him as well. Taylor will make the team on ST. I think he, Jones, and Spillman are going to battle for two spots, maybe one depending on how the LBs shake out. May the best man win. Goldson's status will also play a role. If he's back, does Reggie Smith back him up or is Smith the starting SS? And if Smith and Goldson are the starters, who's the back-up at FS? I know Mays will back-up SS and Smith probably slides over to FS if Goldson is hurt. But what if they both suffer injury? Maragos? Alot of questions and alot of bodies in regards to our secondary at the moment. Here's the rundown

CB

Nate Clements
                Shawntae Spencer
                Tarrell Brown
                Phillip Adams
                Tremaine Brock
                Chris Culliver
                Curtis Holcomb

S

Dashon Goldson
                Reggie Smith
                Taylor Mays
                Curtis Taylor
                CJ Spillman
                Chris Maragos
                Colin Jones

And who knows what we'll do once free agency starts. But the beauty of a new staff is its open competition across the board and I'm all for that. Can't wait to see who emerges from the fire.
                Last edited by VAfy-ya; 05-20-2011, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• I'm about 90% sure that once the lockout ends, Clements is released, and a FA cb is signed

Comment

• Kaepernick just put this up on his twitter:
                    http://twitpic.com/50nags

I wish the season started tomorrow. Hunter look like MoJo with the #32 and how short he is.

Comment

• So Matt Maiocco confirmed that we had agreed to the same trade wit the Falcons that they ended up doing with the Browns.
                      The 49ers agreed to the same deal the Atlanta Falcons ultimately executed with the Cleveland Browns to move up to No. 6 to select receiver Julio Jones.
                      http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/22/11/M...63&feedID=5936

So what does our draft look like if the Browns say no and we take the Falcons deal? Do we trade back up to grab Smith? Is Kaepernick a 1st round pick instead of a 2nd rounder? Alot of possibilities with those extra picks.

Comment

• The more I read up on Roman, the more I'm excited about having this guy around. Capers can't say enough about him every article I read on him raves about his football mind....

“What we did at Stanford was a direct reflection of what our players told us they could (do) and that’s kind of how we (do it) — put a big, broad system in and then start to see what your players tell you in practice, what they’re good at,” Roman said. “At then it starts to shift one way or another. To just say, ‘Here’s the system, here’s what we’re doing,’ we’ll never do that … the players direct where the system goes.”
                        http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...-resurrection/

In 2004, Capers, then the Texans head coach, examined his staff and decided the 49ers offensive coordinator would help mentor struggling quarterback David Carr, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft. Capers moved Roman from tight ends coach to quarterbacks coach – an unlikely title for a former defensive lineman at John Carroll University with scant hands-on experience with quarterbacks.

“He understood the total concept so well that I ended up making him the quarterbacks coach,” Capers said in a phone interview this week. “That was just because I felt he was the best guy for the job and he understood defense. He understood how to attack things. He not only knew the protections in the pass game, but he knew the route concepts.”
                        David Carr had a career-high 83.5 passer rating with Greg Roman as his quarterbacks coach in 2004. In two seasons with Roman as his quarterbacks coach, Carr had 30 touchdowns, 25 interceptions and an 80.5 passer rating--In his three other seasons as Houston’s starter, Carr had 29 touchdowns, 40 interceptions and a 71.7 rating.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...ing-with-carr/
                        Last edited by VAfy-ya; 05-25-2011, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
                          The more I read up on Roman, the more I'm excited about having this guy around. Capers can't say enough about him every article I read on him raves about his football mind....

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...-resurrection/

David Carr had a career-high 83.5 passer rating with Greg Roman as his quarterbacks coach in 2004. In two seasons with Roman as his quarterbacks coach, Carr had 30 touchdowns, 25 interceptions and an 80.5 passer rating--In his three other seasons as Houstonís starter, Carr had 29 touchdowns, 40 interceptions and a 71.7 rating.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...ing-with-carr/
                          I remember reading some articles in the past couple of months that Roman, not Harbaugh, was the X's & O's guy behind the operation..take it for what its worth.

Comment

• Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                            I remember reading some articles in the past couple of months that Roman, not Harbaugh, was the X's & O's guy behind the operation..take it for what its worth.
                            I don't doubt that Roman is very influential, however, Harbaugh has been having documented success in the coaching ranks since 2002 and Roman only worked with him in 2009 and 2010. David Shaw was part of the brains at Stanford as welll, and he worked with Harbaugh since 2006.

Comment

• 49ers.com is doing a series of video interviews with the coaching staff that looks like it is going to be pretty good. They have a preview vid up now, go check it out!

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
                                I'm about 90% sure that once the lockout ends, Clements is released, and a FA cb is signed
                                John Clayton reported the other day that we are going to make a play to sign Ike Taylor. Clements also stated that he will be back as a Niner......take it for what its worth.

Don't really believe too much Clayton says, but I would love Taylor for the right price. Big, physical, blazing speed, and one of the better CBs in run support you'll find. We'll probably have to offer more that what the Steelers will but I like the fit.
                                Last edited by VAfy-ya; 05-26-2011, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information