This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rabscuttle View Post
    When you throw the ball to a receiver and it looks like he's playing dodgeball, it's best to check to the next target.
    Last edited by phlysac; 06-03-2011, 07:53 PM.

Comment

What are the odds Crabtree makes it to through training camp? He has never done anything to make it appear he wants to be a member of the team whether it be hold outs, opt out language, dogging it in camp with "injury", putting in half-assed effort on the field, etc. His teammates don't seem to like him with Davis wanting to stomp a mudhole in his ass last year and now Alex Smith not defending his absence from their workout sessions.

Does he have any value to any other team? What options are there in a brief free agent period before training camp if he gets cut/traded for used practice socks?
      Really? I understand Crabtree has made his share of mistakes but the guy has only been in the league for 2 years. Already fans are calling for a trade? Because he isn't attending these glorified "workouts" that over 70% of the team has not participated in either? How quickly have we forgotten just how much of a headache VD was his first couple years with inconsisteny and immaturity. He got his act together and now he's considered one of the best at his position. Crabtree had great rookie season, all things considered, and a subpar sophmore season. He may not be the most personable guy in the world but that should hardly be a reason to write him off as a whole. I have no problem with Crabtree doing whatever he is doing elsewhere, as long as he is keeping himself in shape and is getting better at his craft. The media feels the need to need to drum up uneccessary drama with these "Where is Crabtree?" storylines. We all know the guy needs to improve but I haven't heard anything that suggests he's not doing just that. When its time for him to show up, I trust that he will, ready to play. If not, then your sentiments will be warranted. Only time will tell.

Comment

• Yes, Really.

When the only person associated with the team that seems to like Michael is Michael that may be a bit telling. Other than appearring in a matching uniform once a week what does he do that makes him a Niner?

Comment

• That's your perception. Who says Crabtree doesn't have friends on the team? He's more of a loner. That's not a crime last I checked. You act like the kid is out there sexual assulting women, carryin concealed weapons, and getting DUIs. And frankly, I could care less if the guy didn't have one friend on the team, as long as he does his job and they do theirs when they get between those lines on Sundays. Like I said before, the kid may need to improve his work ethic but at least give him the chance to learn from his mistakes. Has he been late to meetings? Has he been a no show to any mandatory team functions(excluding his holdout)? Has he missed any practices that he was healthy enough to participate in?

You see a kid that "just doesn't get it and never will". I see a kid who is probably shy and withdrawn who doesn't really like getting in front of reporters/cameras and talking about himself. He'd rather be playing football. The media tends to spin that as a guy who's not very likeable or as a guy who's all about self. They used to say the same things about Charles Haley, who incidently had incidents off the field to substansiate some of those claims. The media likes guys who are accessible. They loathe guys who make a habit of brushing them off. This is why the majority of them spin stories about Crabtree in more of a negative light from my perspective. He had the little incident with VD last TC but if memory serves me correctly, VD has made a habit of these little TC skirmishes since his rookie year. And he was knocked for his immaturity by Gore and others, on record, his first couple of years. Like I said, give the kid a chance to learn from his mistakes and be a better player before crowning him as the "anti-Niner" and trying to ship him elsewhere.
          Last edited by VAfy-ya; 06-04-2011, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• Agree. Isaac BRUCE was a player notorious for being a bit of a loner and disliked by media-types. If it weren't for Josh Morgan complimenting him here in SF, people likely would've felt porrly towards BRUCE, as well.

Punches self for combining Ike Bruce and Torry Holt.
            Last edited by phlysac; 06-04-2011, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• I see a guy that plays scared shitless on the field who makes a business decision on every play.

How you compare him to guys that bust their asses making temamates better when the ball doesn't come their way is hilarious. This is a guy that has found every reason not to build chemistry with his quarterbacks including avoiding training camp and pre-season games. Nobody expects him to be best buddies with the other guys, but at some point he does need to be a teammate. Being shy has nothing to do with shirking duty.

Comment

I see a guy that plays scared shitless on the field who makes a business decision on every play.

How you compare him to guys that bust their asses making temamates better when the ball doesn't come their way is hilarious. This is a guy that has found every reason not to build chemistry with his quarterbacks including avoiding training camp and pre-season games. Nobody expects him to be best buddies with the other guys, but at some point he does need to be a teammate. Being shy has nothing to do with shirking duty.
                Scared shitless? you've gotta be kidding me

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                  Scared shitless? you've gotta be kidding me
                  Ever see him extend for a ball in traffic?

It looks like he's a db practicing a tip drill out there. He plays like the old Rams receivers when Lott roamed centerfield for us. I think you need to look back at all those ints caused by Crab's tips when he heard steps last year before the ball quit going his way. Name a receiver that looks more scared of contact than him from any point in Niner history. Lloyd who didn't give a damn if we didn't win or lose could be on the list and who else?

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                    Agree. Isaac Holt was a player notorious for being a bit of a loner and disliked by media-types. If it weren't for Josh Morgan complimenting him here in SF, people likely would've felt porrly towards Holt, as well.
                    Who the heck is Isaac Holt? Did you mean Isaac Bruce?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                    Originally posted by Borat
                    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                      Who the heck is Isaac Holt? Did you mean Isaac Bruce?
                      Of course. See what I get when I try to sneak a post out from work and my brain is elsewhere. Good catch. I'm an idiot.

Comment

• You combined Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce lol

Comment

• How about highlighting all the good things Crabtree has done. When I watch him play, I dont see a guy whos scared shitless. I see a QB and a WR who aren't on the same page mentally. Who's at fault here? No telling. Either way, Crabtree did what he could with subpar QB play and subpar OLine play.

Comment

• The Crabtree bashing is part of the Bi-Polar nature of our fanbase and reminds me of how so many 49ers fans panned Vernon Davis until 2009.

This Eric Branch article, I think is important to revisit...

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...atch-on-later/

Look at how Crabtree stands up against the NFL's top WRs after 27 games.

RECEPTIONS
                            1. Larry Fitzgerald, 132
                            2. Dwayne Bowe, 128
                            3. Andre Johnson, 127
                            4. DeSean Jackson, 106
                            5. Michael Crabtree, 103
                            6. Calvin Johnson, 101
                            7. Greg Jennings, 98
                            8. Brandon Marshall, 85
                            9. Reggie Wayne, 67
                            10. Brandon Lloyd, 51
                            11. Roddy White, 49

YARDS
                            1. Andre Johnson, 1,869
                            2. Larry Fitzgerald, 1,779
                            3. Calvin Johnson, 1,727
                            4. Dwayne Bowe, 1,719
                            5. DeSean Jackson, 1,681
                            6. Greg Jennings, 1,552
                            7. Michael Crabtree, 1,366
                            8. Brandon Marshall, 1,223
                            9. Reggie Wayne, 928
                            10. Brandon Lloyd, 701
                            11. Roddy White, 669

TOUCHDOWNS
                            T1. Larry Fitzgerald, 15
                            T1. Greg Jennings, 15
                            3. Calvin Johnson, 12
                            4. Dwayne Bowe, 11
                            5. Andre Johnson, 9
                            T6. Michael Crabtree, 8
                            T6. DeSean Jackson, 8
                            8. Brandon Lloyd, 7
                            9. Brandon Marshall, 6
                            10. Roddy White, 3
                            11. Reggie Wayne, 2
                            The one that sticks out to me is DeSean Jackson. Many 49ers fans seemingly masturbate to DeSean Jackson and repeatedly bash the 49ers for not drafting him. Only 3 less catches and equal in TDs.

All of these numbers with Jimmy Raye/Mike Johnson at OC and Shaun Hill, Alex Smith, David Carr, and Troy Smith throwing him passes.

He's far from perfect, has alot of improvement to make in several areas, and could mature significantly on and off the field. But give the guy a break. He's been so far from a terrible player it's not even funny.

Comment

Ever see him extend for a ball in traffic?
                              I haven't seen any Niner WR extend for a ball in traffic here recently. If you have evidence that every WR not named Michael Crabtree are making all these spectacular catches in traffic, I'd sure like to see it.

Originally posted by Rabscuttle View Post
                              I think you need to look back at all those ints caused by Crab's tips when he heard steps last year before the ball quit going his way.
                              Ok, lets re-visit those.....

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-franci...fs-defense-INT

Bad read by Alex, even worst pass as he threw it inside where Flowers was sitting, ready to pounce. Not Crabtree's fault.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-franci...ts-defense-INT

Tip ball by the LB, int....again, not on Crabtree.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-franci...ks-defense-INT

Its clear in the reply, Crabtree doesn't look the ball into his hands before he turns his head upfield. You can definitely fault his hands for this one but I don't have a problem with the effort. Needs to make the simple play first before looking for YAC.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-franci...defense-INT-TD

Obvious mis-communication. Crabtree went out, the ball went in(and a high at that). I can't remember who was at fault but nothing there suggests to me he was scared of any contact.

Comment

• And to piggy-back phlysac post.....

Crabtree is coming off a 55-catch second season in which his numbers almost exactly matched established averages for wideouts in Jimmy Raye-coordinated offenses. The 49ers fired Raye after three games, but they ran essentially the same offense. San Francisco, like some of Raye's teams in Kansas City, had a prolific receiving tight end, which affected opportunities for wide receivers.
                                http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...pects-in-new-o

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information