This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
    Why would you want A.J. Green? Stockpiling on receivers year after year isn't the way to go. Especially when you don't have a proven quarterback on the roster. Just ask Detroit. It's not like we don't have anyone at all. Vernon Davis gives at least one go-to guy. I'm not a fan of Crabtree's apparent attitude that I've heard of, but at the same time he's not required to attend these unofficial "get togethers". I'm sure there are a lot of others players with better reputations that have done the same thing.

Honestly though we really won't be able to gauge Crabtree and everyone else's full potential until we get someone that can deliver them the ball. It's rare that a receiver shines without a good passer. Can't all be Calvin Johnson.
    I wanted Green because the guy looks to be an elite receiver and was hoping that if we drafted him, it would have a lit a fire under Crabs ass and if not, trade Crabs in 2012 and move on with Green.

And please dont remind me of Calvin Johnson. Guy is ******* awesome.

Comment

• We had no chance of drafting Green so arguing about it is ******* stupid.

Comment

• I dont think getting ANOTHER WR in the 1st would be considered stacking. Three would be stacking. Grabbing another is arming yourself. Arguing about this is stupid. Crabtree is an amazing WR. His personality, uhhhhh.. but this is football not a damn popularity contest

Comment

• I don't get the Crabtree hate. He is our best WR by far. He's shown potential and production in Jimmy ******* Raye's offense. That's sayin' something. Who cares if he's a douche off the field. A ton of stud NFL players are D-Bags.

Comment

• Originally posted by Victory X View Post
            I don't get the Crabtree hate. He is our best WR by far. He's shown potential and production in Jimmy ******* Raye's offense. That's sayin' something. Who cares if he's a douche off the field. A ton of stud NFL players are D-Bags.
            Well Crabtree hasn't really earned his stripes yet. Owens was apparently a jerk when he was with us (especially during his final couple of seasons), but I didn't really care because he was a good football player that helped us win games.

Not saying that being a great NFL player allows you to be a jerk, but seeing as I'm a fan and it doesn't really effect me and all I care about is winning...I can tolerate it obviously. But when someone apparently has reports that they are lazy, have a bad attitude and worst of all they aren't a good player...well it kind of comes off as a bother. Makes me think we should have took Hakeem Nicks instead.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
            Originally posted by Borat
            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Well Crabtree hasn't really earned his stripes yet. Owens was apparently a jerk when he was with us (especially during his final couple of seasons), but I didn't really care because he was a good football player that helped us win games.

Not saying that being a great NFL player allows you to be a jerk, but seeing as I'm a fan and it doesn't really effect me and all I care about is winning...I can tolerate it obviously. But when someone apparently has reports that they are lazy, have a bad attitude and worst of all they aren't a good player...well it kind of comes off as a bother. Makes me think we should have took Hakeem Nicks instead.
              TBH i really doubt Nicks would be any better if he was put in the situation here in SF. Terrible QB play along with the most simplistic offense in the league in the NFL won't make any WR look good. If Crabs went to a place like New York i bet he would have thrived by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Victory X View Post
                TBH i really doubt Nicks would be any better if he was put in the situation here in SF. Terrible QB play along with the most simplistic offense in the league in the NFL won't make any WR look good. If Crabs went to a place like New York i bet he would have thrived by now.
                Perhaps. One thing Nicks does get is separation though. We all knew Crabtree wasn't a speed demon going into the draft, but getting separation down the field more consistently would be nice. Maybe Nicks would at least not bring negative attention to himself.

Crabtree is also on thin ice because of the stunt he pulled with his holdout. Just doesn't seem like he ever wanted to be a 49er.

Comment

Perhaps. One thing Nicks does get is separation though. We all knew Crabtree wasn't a speed demon going into the draft, but getting separation down the field more consistently would be nice. Maybe Nicks would at least not bring negative attention to himself.

Crabtree is also on thin ice because of the stunt he pulled with his holdout. Just doesn't seem like he ever wanted to be a 49er.
                  I don't think his holdout was about "not being a Niner". It was about money, plain and simple. Its a business and he was handling his business the way he thought it should have been handled at the time. I didn't agree with his stance but I can't fault him for trying to get what he felt he was worth. But I don't see that as him not wanting to be a Niner.

As far as Nicks, you have to consider the offense he's played in and the guy throwing him the ball. If you swap Nicks and Crabs, I would suspect both would have put up very similar numbers. They are almost the exact same player. Same height, weight, build and everything. Nicks probably has the more reliable hands at this point but I'm not buying he gets more separation. I think he's a better route-runnner than Crabs and that's another area Crabs needs to improve but neither one is a reliable deep threat at this point.
                  Last edited by VAfy-ya; 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Uplifting article that may calm some fears about Crabtree or at least offer another side to the story about his play on the field.

New WRs coach expects "phenomenal" year from Crabtree

The 49ers' new wide receivers coach expects big things from his pupils this season, starting with Michael Crabtree. John Morton, who steps in for long-time receivers coach Jerry Sullivan this season, said that Crabtree is "going to be a phenomenal football player in this offense. And so is Josh Morgan. I think the sky's the limit for those guys."

Morton suggested that Jim Harbaugh's West Coast offense is a better fit for Crabtree's skill set than the power-based vertical passing attack that the 49ers have used in recent seasons. Crabtree does not have blazing speed and he is not particularly big. But he is sudden in and out of breaks and has quick hands.

When Crabtree finally got on the field following a lengthy contract dispute his rookie season, team officials expected him to be effective after the catch, one of his fortes at Texas Tech. Those yards-after-catch (YAC) totals have been good but certainly not as gaudy as expected. Last year, Crabtree ranked 51st among pass catchers with 298 YAC yards, according to statistics compiled by ESPN.com. By contrast, Morgan finished with 275 yards despite 11 fewer receptions.

Morton said one of the tenets of the West Coast offense was getting the ball in the receiver's hands as quickly as possible. "And there are certain routes that do that," he said. "It's quick routes or it's slants or shallow crosses and things where you get the ball in their hand real fast and let them use their God-given ability. I don't think they've had a chance to really do that yet from what I've seen on tape. I don't think I've seen a slant here run ever since ... since Terrell Owens left."
                    http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-coach-ex.html

Comment

• Good post phlysac. Thats excatly why I feel like Crabtree is just scratching the surface. People don't realize that Crabs is still learning his position. He was a quarterback in HS and played WR for two yeas in college. In a offense that didn't help his development really, as The Spread offers very little in terms of the NFL route-tree. Then he comes into the pro ranks and is inserted into a vertical-based system that doesn't really cater to his strengths. I'll admit, he's hands haven't been as good as they were advertised coming out of college, but he's defintely got a ton of room to grow and become one of the better WRs in the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
                        I don't think his holdout was about "not being a Niner". It was about money, plain and simple. Its a business and he was handling his business the way he thought it should have been handled at the time. I didn't agree with his stance but I can't fault him for trying to get what he felt he was worth. But I don't see that as him not wanting to be a Niner.

As far as Nicks, you have to consider the offense he's played in and the guy throwing him the ball. If you swap Nicks and Crabs, I would suspect both would have put up very similar numbers. They are almost the exact same player. Same height, weight, build and everything. Nicks probably has the more reliable hands at this point but I'm not buying he gets more separation. I think he's a better route-runnner than Crabs and that's another area Crabs needs to improve but neither one is a reliable deep threat at this point.
                        Maybe. He might have signed with his favorite team Dallas quicker or for a lower price. You never know. Regardless, that puts him in a bad light. And his stance was pretty stupid. He felt like he should have been paid higher than Darius Heyward-Bey, even though he was taken at a lower spot.

Well the offense Nicks plays in has nothing to do with him getting separation down the field from his man. That's just being a good player. As far as his numbers go, being on a team like the Giants helps yes. I think he's better at getting separation. You believe different and that's fine.
                        Last edited by Ness; 06-18-2011, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• Its not Crabtree's skill or talent that I question, its his desire and work ethic. That needs to improve in my opinion.

Comment

• It appears that C Eric Heitmann will miss the season after having neck surgery. Baas demands just went up. :(

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                              It appears that C Eric Heitmann will miss the season after having neck surgery. Baas demands just went up. :(
                              I'm fine with Bass. He needs to learn how to longsnap though. I think he only did that twice last season, but it's pretty much inexcusable.

Comment

• Obviously Baas is a priority to re-sign, however, I feel good about the bodies at the position.

At this point last year only Heitmann and Baas had made snaps. Thus far it appears that going into 2011 snaps will have been given by...

Baas
                                Snyder
                                Wragge
                                Kilgore
                                Person
                                perhaps another such as Chase Beeler.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information