Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Maybe Williams makes a comeback like Walt Harris, but usually these things don't happen. Williams is just going to be an average starter...hopefully not worse than Mark Roman was. Regardless, we're screwed in the secondary. Really, who is our best player back there? Spencer might be it, and I'd rater him as barely decent. Right now I think it's in the the hands of the front seven to get a good pass rush. Or we're screwed.

    "Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
    Originally posted by Borat
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
      To my understanding, that part of the new CBA doesn't go into effect until the 2013 season. So they don't have to spend money. But they are trying to build a new stadium and that can't happen with a struggling team so they can't tank a season and not be competitive. Hopefully, there's a method to madness.
      They have to spend 99% this year and next, then it is down to 90% in 2013

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Ness View Post
        Maybe Williams makes a comeback like Walt Harris, but usually these things don't happen. Williams is just going to be an average starter...hopefully not worse than Mark Roman was. Regardless, we're screwed in the secondary. Really, who is our best player back there? Spencer might be it, and I'd rater him as barely decent. Right now I think it's in the the hands of the front seven to get a good pass rush. Or we're screwed.
        We're in serious f***ing trouble if we're having any conversation in which we're comparing Williams as a starter to Roman. I hope they sign Goldson and create more competition for the safety jobs on the 53. If the CB market is dry and they have little depth, they might as well stock up on Safeties to at least give the secondary a chance. Perhaps a guy like Reggie Smith can show some diversity in his abilities and play some corner if needed.

        I really strongly believe that the Malcolm Floyd signing has to happen. He seems to be one of the younger guys with potential left in the market. Adding a 6 foot 5 WR as a red zone target, etc. wouldn't hurt, especially if they have a few million to spend and it is for a position of need. It seems like a no brainer to me as I have been hoping the Niners would draft or add a big WR (6 foot 4+) through FA for a couple years now.


        #thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
        Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done


        "He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

        Comment


        • Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
          They have to spend 99% this year and next, then it is down to 90% in 2013
          Nope. The entire LEAGUE has to spend 99% of the cap. If not the owners have to pay the remaining difference to the NFLPA. It's not a team-by-team requirement.

          But, given the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement, the question becomes obvious: Don't the Niners have to, eventually, get aggressive in order to spend the majority of the nearly $124 million per-team cap in 2011? According to CSN Bay Area, the Niners are currently about $20 million under the cap.

          The 49ers aren't compelled to spend. Not this year. And not in 2012. Under the terms of the new CBA, teams, individually, aren't required to meet a salary-cap minimum until 2013. There has been confusion because there is a league-wide commitment to cash spending of 99 percent of the cap in 2011 and 2012.

          So what happens if that 99-percent league threshold isn't met the next two seasons? The NFL would then be required to pay the difference to the players.

          For the 2013-2016 seasons, and again for the 2017-2020 seasons, the clubs collectively will commit to cash spending of at least 95 percent of the cap.

          Each club is committed to cash spending of 89 percent of the cap from 2013-2016 and 2017-2020.
          http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=94344

          Comment




          • I'll miss you Manny!!! :(


            Signs with Bengals (1 year $3 Million)

            The 49ers didn't even feel he was worth $3 Million???

            What the hell is going on Baalke??? We need some answers.

            Comment


            • Alex Smith gets 5m+ and Lawson gets 3m?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
                Alex Smith gets 5m+ and Lawson gets 3m?
                Not just that.... Parys Haralson got $3 Million a year in 2-thousand-*****-9.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by phlysac View Post


                  I'll miss you Manny!!! :(


                  Signs with Bengals (1 year $3 Million)

                  The 49ers didn't even feel he was worth $3 Million???

                  What the hell is going on Baalke??? We need some answers.
                  This is bull***t. He's definitely worth $3 Mil on a short contract. If they're not spending money on other teams' guys, then they should at least keep their own that they drafted (especially in the first round). Man-Law is overall better than Parys and could have come cheaper. What a joke. I can't want to see when Goldson signs for; prob a little more than Lawson.


                  #thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                  Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done


                  "He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

                  Comment


                  • And there goes our defense.What aren't they spending hard money for upgraded players dang it!Sadly hope we can make something of this poor FA period we've had so far.Better go get some WR to make up for it.

                    Comment


                    • Lawson is gone. I wasn't a fan of his services as evidenced from what I've posted on this forum, but if we were going to pay only 3 million to retain him I would have been down for it. I wish they would have let Haralson walk instead. Not sure what his money deal is.

                      Really, it's like the 49ers are saving money to sign Andrew Luck or something. Perhaps Harbaugh convinced the brass to tank the season and free up as much space as possible in the hopes of landing Andrew Luck. Of course this would be a pretty foolish idea. But I have no other thoughts as to why the 49ers would spend so little of their cap money.
                      Last edited by Ness; 08-02-2011, 02:07 AM.

                      "Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                      Originally posted by Borat
                      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                        Nope. The entire LEAGUE has to spend 99% of the cap. If not the owners have to pay the remaining difference to the NFLPA. It's not a team-by-team requirement.


                        http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=94344
                        Ohhh, I thought that each team had to this whole time... Thanks for clearing that up. So yes, they can continue to be a cheap team.

                        Also about Lawson. He was one of my favorite player son the team and I really wanted him back, but hopefully Aldon can make us forget him. I'm starting to think that the two starters might be Smith and Brooks. I really don't like Haralson, and think he should go back to being a situational guy where he was most effective. This is what I like about having all new coaches, everyone has to start from scratch.
                        Last edited by edgrenade; 08-02-2011, 02:07 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
                          Ohhh, I thought that each team had to this whole time... Thanks for clearing that up. So yes, they can continue to be a cheap team.

                          Also about Lawson. He was one of my favorite player son the team and I really wanted him back, but hopefully Aldon can make us forget him. I'm starting to think that the two starters might be Smith and Brooks. I really don't like Haralson, and think he should go back to being a situational guy where he was most effective. This is what I like about having all new coaches, everyone has to start from scratch.
                          Losing Lawson wasn't that bad. He simply wasn't getting to the quarterback. I'm sure someone may bring up the fact that he had a boatload of hurries last year, but that wasn't enough to make game changing impacts. The possibility needs to at least be considered that either Lawson just isn't a good player or he just isn't fit for the 3-4 defense. Not surprising that when he hit the free agent market the phones weren't exactly ringing off the hook with mega deal offers.

                          "Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                          -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                          Originally posted by Borat
                          Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

                          Comment


                          • In Fangio's D, OLBs MUST get to the QB.....the one thing Lawson couldnt do. Sucks to see him go, but we did spend the #7 overall pick on a pass-rusher for a reason. Loved his overall game but he's in a ideal scheme with Zimmer that suits him as a player much better.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by 49erNation85 View Post
                              And there goes our defense.What aren't they spending hard money for upgraded players dang it!Sadly hope we can make something of this poor FA period we've had so far.Better go get some WR to make up for it.
                              there goes our defense? Lawson is good but he's no pass rushing demon like everyone though he would be. if our defense is gone, it left years ago


                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Ness View Post
                                Really, it's like the 49ers are saving money to sign Andrew Luck or something. Perhaps Harbaugh convinced the brass to tank the season and free up as much space as possible in the hopes of landing Andrew Luck. Of course this would be a pretty foolish idea. But I have no other thoughts as to why the 49ers would spend so little of their cap money.
                                They don't need to save $ to sign Luck. With the new CBA, he'll make $20-25 mil less than what Bradford got last year. Check out Cam Newton's contract; the rookie salaries in the Top 10 no longer instantly make them the highest paid players in the league at their respective positions.

                                If they're saving money, it's to re-up their own guys, wait until next year to make big splashes in FA, or something else. At this point, I'd rather them continue to save for next year than overpay a bunch of average guys that may not be much of an upgrade. A CB, a big WR and maybe even a NT would be nice.


                                #thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                                Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done


                                "He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information