This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
    We signed a 30 year old CB in Rogers for one year and signed a 32 year old C in Goodwin for three years with $4m guaranteed and just under $11m overall. Am I the only one that DOESNT like these signings?
    I don't love the signings either, but at this point, it's pretty much the best they could do with what's out there.

Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
    Seriously, instead of re-signing our young core players like Lawson and Goldson or young or younger UFA's to replace them, we're signing veterans to one year deals and im sure Goodwin will be a one year deal too come February.
    Lawson wasn't a "young core player". He was an average OLB that couldn't rush the passer at all, and he wanted elite OLB money. His loss isn't a loss at all.

And if we do get Luck next year, wouldnt that defeat the purpose of the drafting Keapernick in the second round this past draft?
    They have no idea who they'll be able to get in next year's draft. They can't just ignore the QB position and bank on getting Luck. There is no way in hell, they should pass on taking Luck because they took Kaepernick in the second round this year. That would be stupid.

As for Braylon Edwards, he's a good receiver but isnt great and has too many problems off the field. If we sign him, I'll only be happy if he does good and stays out of trouble and/or jail. LOL.
    Ummmm, yeah, me too. I hope he plays good and stays out of trouble. This applies for every player on the 9ers. Also every player on my favorite teams in every sport.
    The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Goodwin is a nice addition to the team very good leader and solid player. As for Edwards anything that keeps Ted Ginn off the field as a receiver is ok by me.
      Originally posted by 49erNation85
      I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
        in your dreams bro. I'll be the first to eat crow on that.
        No it's reality I watched every game liked what I saw.
        Originally posted by 49erNation85
        I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

We signed a 30 year old CB in Rogers for one year and signed a 32 year old C in Goodwin for three years with $4m guaranteed and just under $11m overall. Am I the only one that DOESNT like these signings?

Seriously, instead of re-signing our young core players like Lawson and Goldson or young or younger UFA's to replace them, we're signing veterans to one year deals and im sure Goodwin will be a one year deal too come February.

I'll admit that im not happy we didnt re-sign Lawson and Goldson but whats ever worse is that we're replacing them with older players who 50/50 in terms of being better and that it doesnt fit in with our young core.

And if we do get Luck next year, wouldnt that defeat the purpose of the drafting Keapernick in the second round this past draft?

As for Braylon Edwards, he's a good receiver but isnt great and has too many problems off the field. If we sign him, I'll only be happy if he does good and stays out of trouble and/or jail. LOL.
          Goodwin is a upgrade over Baas is every way imaginable. And centers can play for years, look at Kreutz and Saturday. 3 years is enough time to groom his replacement and he cost a fraction of what Baas got from the Giants. Seriously, how can anyone not like this move?

And if Goldson is so great, why is still unsigned? Anytime the Cowboys fanbase is clamoring for Abram Elam over you, that should tell you something. We added a better cover CB than Clements to the secondary to help with our patheic pass defense. We added veteran depth to the safety spot in Williams. If Mays isnt ready to step up, you have insurance now. And if Goldson is re-signed(still a possibilty) than he can back-up FS.

And I understand the love for Lawson but again, it was clearly evident he was not a high priority. How anyone could call him a "core" peice is beyond me, especially when he was only a 2-down player for us. And seeing as the position that he played in our scheme, earn their money on that one down he was usually on the sideline watching, the writing was on the wall. People can rag on Haralson, but he has shown to be a better pass-rusher in a situational role than Lawson ever did. And hopefully with the addition of Aldon Smith, Applewhite, and a healthy Ahmad Brooks to start the season for a change(hopefully), he can go back to that role instead of being a underacheiving starter.
          Last edited by VAfy-ya; 08-03-2011, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Smith has looked very good - even awesome at times - early on in training camp. Today he roughed up the team's running backs during 11-on-11 running drills, including a pancake of 250-pound fullback Moran Norris, who is one of the most powerful players on the team.

Smith today switched his number from 48 to 99, which of course has been worn by Manny Lawson for the last five seasons. The two are similar in height. In power, however, there is no comparison. Once Smith starts chopping away with those massive and long meathooks of his, blockers have a hard time containing him.

But on the field, Smith looked like a veteran stud. He pressured the quarterback more often than anyone else. On one play, Gore took a handoff and met Smith in the hole and the two collided. Gore didn’t like the hit, so he slapped Smith in the face. Smith didn’t back down or apologize – he slapped Gore right back. Vernon Davis stepped in right away to break it up.

Harbaugh squashed any potential fight by blowing his whistle and ordering the team to start another play. It was another Gore run, and at the end of it, the defensive players jumped and hooted with delight at Smith’s hit on Gore. Gore even jogged over to Smith and gave him a high five and the two made up.
            Gives me a chuckle when I think back to draft night and all the Niner fans who were jumping off cliffs after they heard the pick@#7. Who? LOL.....keep it up Aldon!
            Last edited by VAfy-ya; 08-03-2011, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• This really getting exciting. Really, the last time we had a legitimate one man pass rush was in Andre Carter under Mariucci.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
              -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
              Originally posted by Borat
              Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
                Gives me a chuckle when I think back to draft night and all the Niner fans who were jumping off cliffs after they heard the pick@#7. Who? LOL.....keep it up Aldon!

Apparently Kaepernick has looked good in practices too. I'm really excited, because pass rush and QB are the 2 most important positions on the team, and we could potentially hit on both of them in one draft. That would be outstanding!

Comment

• im happy with the signings.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                    im happy with the signings.
                    Yes, considering the circumstances.

I still want to see Floyd signed over Edwards (who would likely be just a 1 yr deal).

Goldson should be coming back in soon as his other suitors appear to be evaporating.

I much preferred Joseph over Rogers at CB but I'm fine with him for this season. Maybe he has a break out year with a change of scenery.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                      I still want to see Floyd signed over Edwards (who would likely be just a 1 yr deal).
                      Jets and Cards offered one year deals. 49ers are believed to be more serious.

ALLsportsINTEL Rich Smith

NFL UPDATE- It is believed that if Braylon Edwards were to sign with the 49ers it would be for more than one year, negotiations are ongoing.

Comment

• i wouldn't mind them signing braylon. dudes an asshole but he'll be our asshole on sundays.

Comment

• Getting hyped for Aldon Smith??? When he starts getting sacks in regular season games, then I'll be hyped. Until then, I'll take a wait and see approach.

As for Lawson, love him or hate him but if Aldon becomes a legitimate pass rusher, I would rather have had him and Lawson as our starting OLB's instead of Aldon and Haralson/Brooks.

Oh well, im looking forward to seeing Lawson in the 4-3 as an OLB in Cincy with Rivers and Maulagua as the starting LB core.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness
                            Lawson didn't fit the 3-4 plain and simple. And I hear the Bengals are going to be running a good amount of 3-4. Not sure if that's true, but if it is good luck with Lawson. Really, he might just be better suited to play DE in a 4-3 setup.
                            I have been saying that for years. :(

Comment

Getting hyped for Aldon Smith??? When he starts getting sacks in regular season games, then I'll be hyped. Until then, I'll take a wait and see approach.
                              well we've been waiting for manny lawson to get sacks in regular season games too

Comment

• Lawson is not a DE in any scheme, he's a 4-3 OLB. With his speed an athleticism he could be like a more stout Julian Peterson.

I want Braylon on this team. I don't care what it takes, we haven't had elite physical talent at the WR spot since Owens. Braylon still young and he has produced with QBs that were crappier than Alex, in much crappier systems. Get him here, he's still extremely tough to cover one on one.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information