This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie by rookie look at 49ers TC by Barrows

QB Colin Kaepernick: The second-round pick is as athletic and strong-armed as advertised. However, he's come in more prepared and more polished than perhaps was expected. Kaepernick is at his best hitting targets on crossing patterns down field.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...#ixzz1UO7P6olR

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
      Who do you think will be the Final 53???

I know it's early but I figured a week before the first Preseason game is a good time to start.

Who do you think the Final 53 will be? This has been the most difficult in several years for me. I listed several of the "Final Cuts" at the end whom I'm not so sure don't make the team.

Thoughts? What might yours look like?

Offense (25)

QB - Alex Smith | Colin Kaepernick | Jeremiah Masoli | (3)

RB - Frank Gore | Anthony Dixon | Kendall Hunter | (3)

FB - Moran Norris | Bruce Miller | (2)

WR - Braylon Edwards | Michael Crabtree | Josh Morgan | Ronald Johnson | Ted Ginn, Jr. | (5)

TE - Vernon Davis | Delanie Walker | Konrad Reuland (3)

OT - Joe Staley | Anthony Davis | Alex Boone | (3)

OG - Mike Iupati | Chilo Rachal | Tony Wragge | Daniel Kilgore | (4)

C - Jonathan Goodwin | Adam Snyder | (2)

Defense (25)

DE - Justin Smith | Ray McDonald | Ricky Jean Francois | Will Tukuafu | (4)

NT - Isaac Sopoaga | Ian Williams | (2)

OLB - Aldon Smith | Parys Haralson | Ahmad Brooks | Thaddeus Gibson | (4)

ILB - Patrick Willis | NaVorro Bowman | Scott McKillop | Larry Grant | (4)

CB - Carlos Rogers | Shawntae Spencer | Tarell Brown | Chris Culliver | Phillip Adams | Tramaine Brock | (6)

S - Donte Whitner | Reggie Smith | C.J. Spillman | Madieu Williams | Curtis Taylor | (5)

Special Teams (3)

K - David Akers

P - Andy Lee

LS - Brian Jennings

Final Cuts and/or close calls

TE - Colin Cloherty

WR - Dominique Zeigler | Kyle Williams | Kevin Jurovich

C/G - Chase Beeler

OT/G - Mike Person

OLB - Antwan Applewhite

ILB - Keaton Kristick | Alex Joseph

S - Taylor Mays | Chris Maragos | Colin Jones

Positions I'm most unsure of...

FB - Are two important with Delanie Walker playing HB in some sets? If only one, can it be a rookie who's never played the position before?

WR - Kyle Williams has rarely had an opportunity and Kevin Jurovich is supposedly vastly improved and has stood out. Do either of them allow the team to part with Ted Ginn?

OLB - Antwan Applewhite has the experience. How has Thaddeus Gibson looked? Tough call between those two. Will "upside" and ST ability be the deciding factor?

ILB - Staff supposedly likes both Keaton Kristick and Alex Joseph. Would either of them stick over Larry Grant? I can't see keeping five.

S - By far the most difficult to predict. Many aren't high on Curtis Taylor but he's a ST demon and has all the tools to become a gem in the backfield. Is he kept? What about Taylor Mays if he isn't dealt? Could he be allowed to just walk? Chris Maragos is in the same boat as C. Taylor minus some of the physical measurements. What about Colin Jones? He was drafted specifically for ST. Is it that imprtant? Just how much better at ST is he than C. Taylor or C. Maragos? Maybe the vet Madieu Williams gets the axe? Is his experience too valuable in such a young backfield? Tough calls.

Obviously I expect more changes. There is ZERO chance that I'd want our backup QBs to be non-traditional rookies, during a lockout offseason.

This was merely using the players currently on the roster.

I seriously doubt we will carry 3 QBs. One of the main reasons we haven't signed a vet QB is because CK has been further along, with knowledge of the playbook and where he is as a QB. Adding a vet to the mix will take meaningful practices reps from Colin, thus stunting his progress. I fully expect CK to be the back-up to Alex throughout the year, barring injury. Things might change as pre-season goes along but I dont see Masoli taking the spot of someone who can actually help on ST.

My 53 for now....

QB - Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick

RB - Frank Gore, Anthony Dixon, Kendall Hunter

FB - Bruce Miller, Moran Norris

TE - Vernon Davis, Delaine Walker, Konrad Reuland

C - Johnathan Goodwin, Tony Wragge

OG - Mike Iupati, Adam Synder, Chilo Rachal

OT - Alex Boone, Joe Staley, Anthony Davis

WR - Braylon Edwards, Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Ted Ginn, Ronald Johnson

NT - Issac Sopoaga, Ian Williams, Ricky Jean-Francois

DE - Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Will Tukuafu

OLB - Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Antwan Applewhite, Parys Haralson, Thaddeus Gibson

ILB - Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Larry Grant, Scott McKillop, Alex Jospeh

SS - Donte Whitner, Taylor Mays, Curtis Taylor

FS - Reggie Smith, Madieu Williams, CJ Spillman

CB - Carlos Rodgers, Tarrell Brown, Chris Culliver, Tramine Brock, Phillip Adams

K - David Akers
      P - Andy Lee
      LS - Brian Jennings

Pratice Squad - Colin Jones, Jeremiah Masoli, Mike Person, Chase Beuler, Chris Maragos, Colin Clothery, Chris Hogan
      Last edited by VAfy-ya; 08-07-2011, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• Only carrying 2 QBs would be an awful move.
        The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rabscuttle View Post
          I would be quite surprised if Colin Jones doesn't make the team. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be the best of all the current secondary players we have on the roster three or four years down the road.
          With Jones, its going to come down to his ST prowless. So the question will be, can he beat out guys like Spillman and Curtis Taylor on coverage units? I think he's battling those two guys for a roster spot. I think the best two end up on the 53.

Guys who play STs will add to their value. Its why I can see a guy like Bruce Miller making the 53 over a guy like Colin Clothery. Clothery could probably end up being a more productive player from as far as contributions on offense this year go, but because Miller has added value of playing STs and being the heir apparent at FB, he probably holds more value in the coaches eyes than carrying a 4th TE. Seely's unit will have guys who make the roster for that purpose only. So the way I see it, those depth guys who look like stud speacial teamers will make it over stud depth guys who look to only provide depth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
            Only carrying 2 QBs would be an awful move.
            Its been done before. And if we carry Masoli, you might as well say we're only carry two because its no way he gets activated on Sundays.

Comment

• I believe they changed the roster rules to allow teams to carry three active quarterbacks for games without the penalties they had before. At least there was a bunch of talk about it, maybe it didn't go through.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rabscuttle View Post
                I believe they changed the roster rules to allow teams to carry three active quarterbacks for games without the penalties they had before. At least there was a bunch of talk about it, maybe it didn't go through.
                Yes, they made this change. No team is going with only 2 QBS. That's never going to happen.
                The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Is Brent still over at that ghost town?

Comment

• Yeah, many teams will keep 4 QBs. I don't see any team carrying 2, perhaps ever.

You cut Shawntae Spencer?

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                      Yeah, many teams will keep 4 QBs. I don't see any team carrying 2, perhaps ever.

You cut Shawntae Spencer?
                      Okay let me be clear.......I dont think our 3rd QB is on the roster yet.....so Im going with two as of now. Unless you REALLY believe Harbs goes into his first NFL season with Alex and two rookies as his back-up. BUT it wouldnt shock me if he went with two and stashed Masoli on the PS.

As far as Spencer, its a new day. We have young guys in camp stepping up and making plays(Brock, Culliver). He's on the sidelines hurt. If it comes down between him or a young guy, I think we'll go young. Like i said its very early. Preseason will sort he roster out. Just what I see as of now. Every year there is a vet cut that nobody sees coming......just saying.

Comment

• Spencer is still a decent corner in my opinion. Having him start a couple of seasons back was probably the only great thing Singletary did. He's currently hurt, but I don't think he warrants getting cut. We'll see the extent of his injury. Unless one of the other corners really shines, he's definitely staying. We're already hurting there as it is. We need some guys there with some experience. Rogers, Spencer, and Brown (minimal) are really the only guys we have at corner that have a good amount of starting experience.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                        Originally posted by Borat
                        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• From Michael Lombardi:

Have the 49ers improved their defense this offseason? Losing nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin is a significant loss, not because Franklin is the best of the best but rather because there is no one on the roster who can handle his role. The 49ers were the second-best team in the NFL last year in limiting teams' running on first down, which can be directly linked to Franklin's run-stuffing ways. Even with the additions of Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner and Madieu Williams, I am not sure the Niners will be better this year on defense.
                          http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...module=HP11_cp

I kind of have to agree with him. I was never high on Sopoaga at nose when he first tried it a few years ago. I'm assuming we'll still be decent at the run though, but it would have been nice to have had Franklin back. I didn't know we were that good on first downs last season against the run. I still think we've improved our defense this season though. Goldson and Lawson weren't doing anything for us in my opinion and I like the additions of Whiter, Rogers (after doing more research on him), and rookie Aldon Smith. Chris Culliver sounds like he's doing well for a rookie too.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                          -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                          Originally posted by Borat
                          Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Experience is great but sometimes you have to let young talent shine. Look at guys like McCourty and Sam Shields last year. If guys are deeme talented enough to override experience, so be it. I think Spencer is good starting CB. But if there's a young guy with more talent that gives us a better chance on Sundays, I have no problem sending him packing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                              From Michael Lombardi:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...module=HP11_cp

I kind of have to agree with him. I was never high on Sopoaga at nose when he first tried it a few years ago. I'm assuming we'll still be decent at the run though, but it would have been nice to have had Franklin back. I didn't know we were that good on first downs last season against the run. I still think we've improved our defense this season though. Goldson and Lawson weren't doing anything for us in my opinion and I like the additions of Whiter, Rogers (after doing more research on him), and rookie Aldon Smith. Chris Culliver sounds like he's doing well for a rookie too.
                              Eh, I'm on the other side of the fence. Manusky ran a run-stuffing scheme. Fangio wants to run a pass-pressure scheme.

Yeah, the 49ers were great at stopping the run on 1st down but were consistently near the bottom at stopping the pass on 3rd down.

I'd rather soften up on run defense if it means constant pressure on the QB and better pass D.

Comment

• Run defense will defintely take a hit with Franklin and Lawson gone, but I expect our pass-rush and pass defense to be better. I'll take the trade off.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information