This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
    Experience is great but sometimes you have to let young talent shine. Look at guys like McCourty and Sam Shields last year. If guys are deeme talented enough to override experience, so be it. I think Spencer is good starting CB. But if there's a young guy with more talent that gives us a better chance on Sundays, I have no problem sending him packing.
    I completely agree, in theory. However, you have to compare Spencer's talent (as the current #2 CB) to the #5, #6 or #7 CB if he's going to be cut. He wouldn't be cut because Brown or Culliver is better.

It'd be different if Spencer had a big contract, but he doesn't, so as long as he is better than the likes of Cory Nelms and Philip Davis, then I keep him.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
      I completely agree, in theory. However, you have to compare Spencer's talent (as the current #2 CB) to the #5, #6 or #7 CB if he's going to be cut. He wouldn't be cut because Brown or Culliver is better.

It'd be different if Spencer had a big contract, but he doesn't, so as long as he is better than the likes of Cory Nelms and Philip Davis, then I keep him.
      Very true. But let's say Harbs really likes a couple of young CBs and doesn't want to expose them to the waiver wire. Do you keep a guy that is probably not on the roster past this year so you can win now, or do you secure young talent and give them some experience so they can help you in the future, when your looking to be better and headed for the playoffs if all goes well? Its always another angle to look at, in terms of experience versus youth.

Comment

Very true. But let's say Harbs really likes a couple of young CBs and doesn't want to expose them to the waiver wire. Do you keep a guy that is probably not on the roster past this year so you can win now, or do you secure young talent and give them some experience so they can help you in the future, when your looking to be better and headed for the playoffs if all goes well? Its always another angle to look at, in terms of experience versus youth.
        I could see us keeping 6 CB's. Rogers, Spencer, Adams, Culliver, Brock, and Brown. Just looking at your 53 list, i would take Spencer over Alex Joseph. We'll see how it pans out in a few weeks though.

BTW, here's a nice article from Grant Cohn on the state of the 49ers. Interesting read.

So, have the 49ers improved? You bet.
        Most of the players they’ve lost are on defense, and they’re mostly big, run-stoppers. In today’s NFL, you’ve got to be able to stop the pass, and this 49er team has improved in that area.
        Why? Because the defense is just plain faster. Rogers is quicker and better in coverage than Clements. Whitner plays faster than Mays. And Aldon Smith, who may not be as fast as Lawson, will get to the quarterback quicker and more often. He should make the entire defense better against the pass. They may have more trouble against the run or covering faster tight ends, but overall they’re a better unit than last year.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...-organization/

Good read. I'm willing to take a little hit on run defense if we can add some speed to the team. We still have Willis so i doubt we'll be too bad at defending the run anyways.

Comment

Experience is great but sometimes you have to let young talent shine. Look at guys like McCourty and Sam Shields last year. If guys are deeme talented enough to override experience, so be it. I think Spencer is good starting CB. But if there's a young guy with more talent that gives us a better chance on Sundays, I have no problem sending him packing.
          If he has more talent and showcases it, sure. We'll see in the preseason how they do. But you don't just give a younger player a chance because they are simply young. Spencer is only 29 and all of the younger competition are going to have to have more than youth on their side to unseat him.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
          -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
          Originally posted by Borat
          Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Oh and yes, seeing how this is a passing league we should be focusing a good amount of actually stopping the pass. I feel confident in stopping the run with Willis and Bowman in there anyways. Whiter could help in run support as well.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
            Originally posted by Borat
            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Let us all hope and pray that it's just pessimism and rumor but...

Reggie Smith rumored to be seriously injured...

Eric_Branch Eric Branch
              S Reggie Smith and LT Joe Staley did not finish practice, leaving with apparently minor injuries. #49ers
              superreg30 Reginald L. Smith II

Everything happens 4 a reason & I believe it. Just wished it wouldn't have happened right now. But with God on my side I know it will be OK

Appreciate all the support from everybody. I'll be fine twit fam 
              But perhaps, and let's hope that it's just a personal issue that he will handle...

Up and ready, time to get busy!!!

Comment

• Goldson re-signed. WTF.
                The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Smith might be hurt.

He's an improvement over Mays, Williams, Taylor, and Maragos, regardless.

Comment

• Goldson back on 1 year deal:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...urns-to-49ers/

Crowded secondary but we need competition there so that unit can improve over last year. Williams' days appear to be numbered as a 49er as he's not as good as Goldson, Whitner and he's not young-and-upcoming like Smith, Jones, etc. I like that they didn't have to break the bank for Goldson or commit to him long term, allowing him to prove himself for another year (a year in which he's not secretly injured all season) before he gets any kind of big money deal.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
                      Goldson re-signed. WTF.
                      Wow talk about a turn of events. Love the Goldson/Whitner combo in the secondary. Really surprised that Goldson swallowed his pride and took a one-year deal to come back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                        Goldson back on 1 year deal:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...urns-to-49ers/

Crowded secondary but we need competition there so that unit can improve over last year. Williams' days appear to be numbered as a 49er as he's not as good as Goldson, Whitner and he's not young-and-upcoming like Smith, Jones, etc. I like that they didn't have to break the bank for Goldson or commit to him long term, allowing him to prove himself for another year (a year in which he's not secretly injured all season) before he gets any kind of big money deal.
                        I dont even think Jones is getting even 3rd team reps and I have yet heard anyone in the media utter his name in their write-ups on players in TC. His value lies in ST only at this point. Unless he becomes the next Steve Tasker, I expect him to be PS bound. Which wouldnt be a bad thing at all.

People will realize soon enough what Whitner brings to the table. I think he is that good but like Kyle Williams, he gets overlooked because he played on a bad team. And because last year was his first year playing a full-season. Goldson coming back really doesn't change my feelings on Reggie Smith.....I think he's a better fit at FS. He's more sound in coverage. Goldson's aggressivness gets the better of him alot. It will be interesting how it all shakes out. One thing for sure, I dont think I ever remember seeing a team with this much quality depth and so many inter-changeable personel at safety before. Its nice to have that luxury for a change.
                        Last edited by VAfy-ya; 08-08-2011, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• And when you really think about, Smith, Whitner, and Goldson all have a history of being injured. Makes sense to stockpile talent if you can. So what are guys feelings on the starting safties for the start of the season? Im going with Smith and Whitner for now.

Comment

And when you really think about, Smith, Whitner, and Goldson all have a history of being injured. Makes sense to stockpile talent if you can. So what are guys feelings on the starting safties for the start of the season? Im going with Smith and Whitner for now.
                            If Smith isn't too seriously injured, i agree. I could also see Goldson as the Nickel safety and primary backup to both. The 4th safety will probably be C.J. Spillman or Chris Maragos. If we keep a 5th safety, it could be one of Spillman/Maragos as well, or maybe Colin Jones if he shines in pre-season. But right now it looks like Jones is PS bound. Mays, Curtis Taylor, and Madieu Williams look to be gone at the end of pre-season. JMO.

Comment

• I really like the Whitner signing and think that the 49ers Faithful will definitely grow to love him once they see what he brings to the table over the next couple years. He's a pro and will help the Niners, bringing some brains and swinging some wood in the secondary.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                              Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• hows thaddeus gibson doing?

:-(
                                E]

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information