Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He had the skill-set, just not the right attitude it appears and unfortunately that is going to kill a career.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
    Originally posted by Borat
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
      What was wrong with Gibson? I was hoping to see him play.
      I would have liked to see him play as well. Probably didn't impress the coaches.
      Last edited by Ness; 08-15-2011, 09:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
        Gibson is another example of Sing being very high on a guy when the Niners new regime is not. He held a roster spot for much of last season that could have been used to retain a core special teams player like M-Rob.
        This is simply a fabricated characterization...

Aside from losing, blind-hate associated from said losing is my least favorite thing about being a 49ers fan.

Thaddeus Gibson was signed by the 49ers 2 full months after Michael Robinson had already signed with the Seahawks. I also, highly doubt tha Mike Singletary religiously followed the waiver wire and saw the Steelers waived Gibson and immediate had Baalke snatch him up. Gibson was a Baalke pickup all the way. He didn't have much Sing on him at all.

But this is what happens when transactions are made. We automatically categorize certain players into a This coach or That coach type of player.

From all reports last season Gibson had a terrible time with the playbook. Do I know this to be fact this season? Absolutely not. But for him to be cut this early isn't a good sign as to what he was showing his coaches on a daily basis.

I was pulling for him, and the timing of it is fishy, but it didn't look like he had a shot at the Final-53 anyways. I just wish I could've seen him rush the QB a time or two this preseason.

Comment

• I'm really hoping Brooks becomes a starter this season and blows up. Never was a fan of Haralson.

Comment

The kid could sling it, but he didn't have the work ethic to be a successful NFL QB. Additionally, his learning disability was likely a factor in not being able to digest the playbook quickly.
            This x 1,000,000

If you judged Nate Davis solely on his college film, and limited reps against 4th teamers last preseason, you'd think he was a legit NFL QB prospect.

Unfortunately, he lacked the proper work-ethic, motivation, and learning ability necessary to have success. These are three things that are impossible for fans such as ourselves to have any knowledge of.

Comment

Gibson is another example of Sing being very high on a guy when the Niners new regime is not. He held a roster spot for much of last season that could have been used to retain a core special teams player like M-Rob.
              I dont see the correlation. Robinson was one of the final cuts to trim the roster to 53 after camp last year. Gibson was picked up during the season after Pittsburgh released him to make room on their 53 for a extra O-Lineman I believe.

I think Gibson was ultimately waived because he wasn't that great on special teams. If you gonna be the 4th/5th OLB and be carried on the 53, you gotta be a standout on special teams if nothing else. Gibson never stood out on special teams. He didnt look that good versus the Saints, taking a bad angle and whiffing on a tackle on that punt return TD. A guy to keep a eye on is Rowe. Looked really good on coverage units and if Applewhite doesn't step up his play on the 2nd team, may find his spot taken by a guy who makes the roster off his special team contributions and potential at OLB.

Comment

• Did you guys watch Chris Culliver closely during the game? I didn't catch much of him.

Comment

• Davis couldn't halfass his way to an NFL career. He was going to have to outwork everyone else to put the gifts he had to use and it doesn't appear that he chose to do that. His choice, maybe he can find another league to learn in while he matures.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                    I'm really hoping Brooks becomes a starter this season and blows up. Never was a fan of Haralson.
                    Brooks main problem has been staying healthy. But another issue was he just wasn't well-rounded enough to see snaps other than in nickel situations. He wasn't stout enough in run support and wasnt adept in coverage. If Brooks is going be a starter and play all 3 downs, he has to make strides in those areas. Right now he's pigeon-holed as a situational guy. If he can start making plays against the run and not be a liability in coverage, he could be ready to take that next step. He has the ability physically. Its always been his understanding of the scheme that has come into question.

Comment

Did you guys watch Chris Culliver closely during the game? I didn't catch much of him.
                      I thought he looked pretty good for a rook. I mean it is pre-season but I didn't remmeber him giving up any catches. Can defintely see the potential. Culliver and Adams are the future at CB. Im calling it now. Both those guys ooze potential.
                      Last edited by VAfy-ya; 08-15-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

I'm really hoping Brooks becomes a starter this season and blows up. Never was a fan of Haralson.
                        Me too. I'm hoping for a Brooks/Smith starting combo. Haralson was most effective when he was used as a situational pass rusher, and I think that is what is going to happen this year.

The one position we do have depth at is LB, inside and out. It's been a while...

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
                          I thought he looked pretty good for a rook. I mean it is pre-season but I didn't remmeber him giving up any catches. Can defintely see the potential. Culliver and Adams are the future at CB. Im calling it now. Both those guys ooze potential.
                          Don't know about Adams. I think it depends on how he recovers from his injury. Even before I was never really impressed with him, but he hasn't been here long.

Comment

• Yeah I dunno about Adams ever being a solid starter, that's a bit of a reach. Culliver looks the part though, definitely.

Brooks is going to be absolutely key for this team this year. Dude has always had massive potential, plus it would get bum-arse Haralson off the field. If Brooks and Aldon become legit pass rushers, our D will take HUGE strides

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
                              I dont see the correlation. Robinson was one of the final cuts to trim the roster to 53 after camp last year. Gibson was picked up during the season after Pittsburgh released him to make room on their 53 for a extra O-Lineman I believe.

I think Gibson was ultimately waived because he wasn't that great on special teams. If you gonna be the 4th/5th OLB and be carried on the 53, you gotta be a standout on special teams if nothing else. Gibson never stood out on special teams. He didnt look that good versus the Saints, taking a bad angle and whiffing on a tackle on that punt return TD. A guy to keep a eye on is Rowe. Looked really good on coverage units and if Applewhite doesn't step up his play on the 2nd team, may find his spot taken by a guy who makes the roster off his special team contributions and potential at OLB.
                              Allow me to clarify for you and PhlySac - I wasn't talking about the moves for Gibson and M-Rob being connected; they weren't. They were several weeks apart and I'm very well aware of that. I was simply discussing the poor roster choices that were made last year by Sing IMO that were a catalyst to him getting fired after the Niners had a horrible start to the season and underachieved in a historically bad division when they had the best talent 'on paper.' My point was simply that the roster spot that was used on Gibson could have been used for a player that would have had an impact on the team, like a special teams player (as the Niners unit rapidly declined lats year). I used M-Rob as an example only; not as a direct transaction correlation to Gibson. Bottom line, (and my point is) Sing screwed up with the 53 on several occasions.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                              Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• I acquired the preseason game on my computer from Friday. Just re-analyzing the offensive line with the starters. It does look pretty bad on a good amount of the snaps. In regards to Alex Smith though there were a few attempts he made (when he did get some time) that were just purely off the mark. Notably the first throw towards Vernon Davis which was at his feet and the throw behind Braylon Edwards. There was one he throw towards Davis earlier which was defended fairly nice. Everything else was chalked up to pretty poor protection...with arguably one play where he should have gotten the ball out faster on a three step drop...which resulted in a fumble by Will Smith (Anthony Davis should have been called for a first start here). His short dump off to Dixon was nice though. I'm really concerned (or at least was last year) about his short throws, which I thought were awful. Maybe he's actually improved in that area.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information