This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ Fantastic post

It doesn't help that they insist on running against 8+ men in the box. Cincy actually had one play with 10 in on Sunday.

Most pass plays are two TE sets as well that doesn't set up well for a line that struggles in pass pro.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
      ^ Fantastic post

It doesn't help that they insist on running against 8+ men in the box. Cincy actually had one play with 10 in on Sunday.

Most pass plays are two TE sets as well that doesn't set up well for a line that struggles in pass pro.
      Im actually a fan of the 2 TEs sets, as our TEs are our biggest match-up nightmare in the passing game. I just haven't seen the creativity out of that personel group. There hasn't been alot motion and shifting out that package except for the first half of the Cowboy game. That package should be isolating VD or Delaine against a LB or a safety everytime if done right(like the TD grab by Walker in the second half of the Cowboys game) I watched the Packers-Bear game Sunday and the way McCarthy was shifting and moitioning in two and three TEs sets was a thing of beauty. And it seems like he would get a mis-match with Finely every time. I understand their WRs and QB offer more to think about as DC but we should be getting better defined reads out of that personel group for Alex to get the ball out quicker.

Comment

• • The 49ers' defense has gone 25 straight games without an opposing rusher finishing with 100 or more yards.
        http://www.sacbee.com/2011/09/26/393...#ixzz1Z2y31F1W

Comment

• Yes, they have been very good in the run game....BUT, why run it when you can throw all day on our secondary and pile up the points faster? This D is a couple of players away in the secondary from being in the upper echelon of the NFL, assuming the pass rush from the OLB group continues to develop. Aldon seems to be getting to the QB often on the limited downs he is playing.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
          Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
            Im actually a fan of the 2 TEs sets, as our TEs are our biggest match-up nightmare in the passing game. I just haven't seen the creativity out of that personel group. There hasn't been alot motion and shifting out that package except for the first half of the Cowboy game. That package should be isolating VD or Delaine against a LB or a safety everytime if done right(like the TD grab by Walker in the second half of the Cowboys game) I watched the Packers-Bear game Sunday and the way McCarthy was shifting and moitioning in two and three TEs sets was a thing of beauty. And it seems like he would get a mis-match with Finely every time. I understand their WRs and QB offer more to think about as DC but we should be getting better defined reads out of that personel group for Alex to get the ball out quicker.
            You're exactly right. But for the most part all the 2 TE sets the 49ers have run have simply brought more players into the box.

Also... I watched some clips of of last game closely... Many of the times that Smith is sacked... all 3 receivers (TE's included) are running 4 yard stop routes. Yes... the deepest route is 4 yards. All 22 players in a 5 yard rectangle on the field. Exciting.

Comment

• One thing that hasn't been discussed much is the strong play of Bowman on D. He's among the league leaders in tackles, even ahead of Willis. Maiocco noted on his blog that the coaching staff has even confused the two briefly on tape as they were both flying around, making plays. Takeo was a great player and leader but Bowman looks to be breaking out, teaming up with Willis to create a dominant ILB team for years to come. He's the pick in the questionable "Sing" draft that is making a big impact right now, though I believe Iupati will still figure it out soon and be a road-grader.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
              Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Would be interesting to see how other teams adjust to having Willis and Bowman on the field.

Comment

• Random things:

NaVorro Bowman and Ray McDonald have been amazing this year. Hard to believe everyone (me included) was upset at losing Franklin and Spikes when these two look like big improvements.

Hopefully Justin Smith gets some recognition after that play. There isn't a 3-4 DE in the NFL I would take over him right now but he never has gotten the credit he deserves since he's never been on a good team.

I know the Eagles pass rush is really good but Jason Babin getting 3 sacks is still ridiculous. Line has to improve but they did bully the Eagles around running the ball (not hard though).

We're still a corner away. I like the play of the secondary in general but we have no one to hang with someone like DeSean Jackson. Annoying to see him simply win sprints whenever he wanted. Surprised Culliver didn't make an appearance.

I'm still excited to see what the offense looks like when Braylon and Crabtree are healthy. Together with Josh Morgan, Vernon, and Walker I really like the receivers.

Going from Singletary to Harbaugh is even better than I thought. Simply having a game plan and being able to make adjustments is a massive improvement. Alex said the locker room had no panic and everyone simply worked to correct the mistakes. Last year I can't help but feel this team would have lost by a score of around 45-17.

Did the Eagles blow it? Yeah, of course. Still, the 49ers did a great job of taking the game. Plays like Justin Smith's fumble is the team working for the win.

Here are some highlights. The Eagles tackling is atrocious no one wraps up. Loved Crabtree toasting Nnamdi on that move and breaking his tackle twice. Asante Samuel's effort on the Josh Morgan TD is pathetic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arsenal View Post
                    Random things:

NaVorro Bowman and Ray McDonald have been amazing this year. Hard to believe everyone (me included) was upset at losing Franklin and Spikes when these two look like big improvements.

Hopefully Justin Smith gets some recognition after that play. There isn't a 3-4 DE in the NFL I would take over him right now but he never has gotten the credit he deserves since he's never been on a good team.

I know the Eagles pass rush is really good but Jason Babin getting 3 sacks is still ridiculous. Line has to improve but they did bully the Eagles around running the ball (not hard though).

We're still a corner away. I like the play of the secondary in general but we have no one to hang with someone like DeSean Jackson. Annoying to see him simply win sprints whenever he wanted. Surprised Culliver didn't make an appearance.

I'm still excited to see what the offense looks like when Braylon and Crabtree are healthy. Together with Josh Morgan, Vernon, and Walker I really like the receivers.

Going from Singletary to Harbaugh is even better than I thought. Simply having a game plan and being able to make adjustments is a massive improvement. Alex said the locker room had no panic and everyone simply worked to correct the mistakes. Last year I can't help but feel this team would have lost by a score of around 45-17.

Did the Eagles blow it? Yeah, of course. Still, the 49ers did a great job of taking the game. Plays like Justin Smith's fumble is the team working for the win.
                    Bowman has been ******* amazing thus far. Every play, he's there. He's a sideline to sideline type player and I wasnt concerned about losing Spikes whatsoever. Franklin, on the other hand, I was but Sopoaga has played well at NT and McDonald has earned that contract and starting spot. My one negative is that they should have had Vick sacked a few more times but let him get away. They need to just hold him up and allow other defenders to come in and make the gang tackle sack. Too many times, it seemed like they were trying to just get an arm on Vick and thats not going to do it. He's too athletic for that.

Smith is awesome and our second best defensive player after Willis. His forced fumble at the end was an awesome veteran play that sealed the win for us.

OL wise, we're still average at best and need to improve.

WR wise, they can be a good or better group but only if the OL gives Smith time.

Gore was solid finally but Hunter is a beast. I love that guy. Note to Harbaugh though - run outside more because they do work. I dont like seeing run up the middle every time there's a run play. Need to do pitches, tosses, sweeps, etc. to the outside because the plays are there for the taking.

Agree about CB/DB area but at the same time, Jackson was being allowed to run straight from the LOS into zone coverage with no one around him. Any WR with speed can do that. I hate zone coverage because the receivers arent beating the defenders. They're beating the open space in between defenders. Fangio needs to be more aggressive at the LOS. Let the CB's put pressure on the WR's at the LOS and do some bump and run instead of letting the receivers run free off the LOS.

Harbaugh is easily better than Singletary and Nolan but he still has areas to improve in and in time, he will.

And credit to Alex Smith to playing the best second half of his career and best game he's had since hmmmm, well, ever. LOL. :)

Comment

• Well last time I was reading through here it seemed pretty negative. You guys are 3-1, the 1 loss was an OT game you should have won, with a 2 game lead in the division. You guys are looking at the playoffs at least, Alex Smith will depend on how far you go.

I've heard great things about Bowman all over. Even 1 of the Eagles beat writers was on Mike & Mike earlier singing his praises saying more people should know who he is. I have to keep an eye on him more.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• So Crabtree looked pretty good, huh? Was he on the field for the majority of snaps?
                        "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• Bowman is playing out of his mind and arguably better than Patrick Willis. Now it looks like we're going to have two Pro Bowl type of linebackers in the middle. And Brooks and Aldon Smith are the best OLB we've had since Julian Peterson was actually doing something. This is the first time in a while where something "on paper" actually turned out to be as good as hoped.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                          -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                          Originally posted by Borat
                          Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                            Bowman is playing out of his mind and arguably better than Patrick Willis. Now it looks like we're going to have two Pro Bowl type of linebackers in the middle. And Brooks and Aldon Smith are the best OLB we've had since Julian Peterson was actually doing something. This is the first time in a while where something "on paper" actually turned out to be as good as hoped.
                            I'll go ahead and say it, Bowman IS playing better than Patrick Willis. Not only is he almost as fast sideline-to-sideline, he attacks the line of scrimmage as good, and he rushed the passer BETTER...dude is looking like a monster.

Comment

• Yeah guys... Wanna feel pumped about the present and future...

Listen to Sal Paolantonio on Mike and Mike this morning discussing the Eagles game.

1st half of clip is Eagles, last chunk is 49ers (6:20) and WOW, was it positive.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7054115

Comment

• Blount went buckwild on the Colts defense. I'd be surprised if we get slashed like that at home though. It's been over 24 games since we've let someone rush for over 100 yards.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                                -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                                Originally posted by Borat
                                Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information