Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know if any of you folks listen to KNBR, but on Thursdays Greg Cosell comes on and talks for a few minutes on the Murph and Mac show. He's worked at NFL Films for 30 years and watched game film every day. Usually he makes some interesting points, but on Thursday I thought he was off the mark. Matt Barrows reported what he said on his blog word for word. Take a look:

It's been champagne and caviar this week for Alex Smith following the 49ers' pass-heavy victory over the Giants. His coaches are singing his praises. He's being mentioned for comeback player of the year. Readers are wondering when his contract might be extended. Not everyone, however, has Alex Smith Fever. In fact, today on KNBR radio, NFL Films' Greg Cosell seemed to credit Jim Harbaugh for the quarterback's play more than the quarterback's play itself.

GC: "I'm going to tell you exactly what I see: He's not a great passer. The ball does not come out with a lot of juice. You wouldn't call him an elite-arm talent by any means. But you don't have to be an elite-arm talent to be an efficient player. The goal is to make him efficient. The one thing that's clearly evident is you're not seeing the negative plays. You're not seeing the turnovers that have haunted him in the past.

".... By the way, in my opinion, what Jim Harbaugh is doing is really smart. He's building Alex Smith. ... Alex Smith is a quarterback that you have to manipulate to some degree. He's not an elite-arm talent. I know he was the No. 1 pick in the draft. That's not his fault. But he's not an elite-arm talent. He can be a quality player in this league. But you need to manage him. You're not going to ask him to do, nor is he capable of doing, what an Aaron Rodgers can do, for instance. You're just not going to ask him to do that. Harbaugh gets that. He's doing it exactly right. He's just not going to say this publicly because it serves no purpose."
    http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...ith-fever.html

I'm probably Alex's harshest critic here, but even I thought he played a good game on Sunday and while he's not a great passer at this point, it wouldn't be out of the question for him to approach the level of being an elite quarterback. He's erasing doubts on the field. Just seemed like Cosell implied that it's never going to happen for Smith even though he's playing very well at this point. And the Aaron Rodgers comparison came out of left field and was just dumb. I'd really like for him to elaborate on that. Did he mean throw the ball in the same fashion? Put a team on his back and win the game in the fourth quarter?
    Last edited by Ness; 11-19-2011, 05:24 AM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
    Originally posted by Borat
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
      Borat dragging ass

New Gameday Thread is up.
      The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
        Did he mean throw the ball in the same fashion? Put a team on his back and win the game in the fourth quarter?
        Cosell is on record as saying bad things about Smith's ability, from day-one. He's one of many that simply can't back off and admit that they were at least partially wrong about their thoughts on Smith. He's always said the 49ers can't win with Smith. They can't win games that they don't rush well, etc, etc. Smith has proven him wrong all season so now he has to say that Smith doesn't have "elite arm talent."

He's simply grasping at the last things he has to hate Smith with.

We say this every week, but the running game is absolutely critical for (the 49ers). If they can't run it, they're going to have a tough time against this Giants defense.
        I gotta tell you - I think Harbaugh is doing as good a job as there is in this league with what he has. And you know how I feel about Alex Smith. It's not personal knock on Alex Smith. Why do you think Jim Harbaugh is doing what he's doing? He's telling you - I don't have to tell you - he's telling you what he thinks of Alex Smith. He's managing him. He's manipulating him so he can be successful.
        A lot of questions re: Alex Smith. Arm strength limitations made worse by lifting back foot off ground before delivering. Fundamental flaw.
        • More Alex Smith: Struggles to drive the ball downfield. Needs functional space in pocket to have any chance. Otherwise limited as passer.
        • More Alex Smith: Big concern based on track record is efficiency drops dramatically with bodies around him. Tough to play consistently.
        • When QB has arm strength limitations he must compensate by being very good in many other areas: Speed of decision making, timing, accuracy.
        Last edited by phlysac; 11-19-2011, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• I really hope we don't have to play the New Orleans Saints in our first playoff game.

Comment

• I wouldn't mind playing the Saints at all, to be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
              I wouldn't mind playing the Saints at all, to be honest.
              Really? That seems to be an NFC team that could really beat anyone. I guess technically they could lose to anyone, but I still don't feel great about our secondary and Brees rarely gets sacked. And it's not like they even need to run the ball to be that successful. Do they even pound the rock? Our biggest strength on defense is our run defense, and if the Saints just want to throw, look out.

Comment

• I would prefer to play whatever team is not entering the post season with a hot hand.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                  Really? That seems to be an NFC team that could really beat anyone. I guess technically they could lose to anyone, but I still don't feel great about our secondary and Brees rarely gets sacked. And it's not like they even need to run the ball to be that successful. Do they even pound the rock? Our biggest strength on defense is our run defense, and if the Saints just want to throw, look out.
                  They pass alot, so does GB.....it is what it is. Guys on the back-end will have to step up and be ready for the task at hand. I'll take our D against any O in the league. That's not homerism talking, that's my eyes telling me we are on the verge of a being a elite defense. Our secondary, like our O-Line earlier in the year, seems to be getting better as they go along. I like what i'm seeing in Goldson and Whitner. The CBs look to be improving, even Brown. I like the progress they've shown. The Ravens and Steelers will be a big test for our secondary to see how they'll fair in the playoffs. Let the chips fall where they may.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness

Didn't Harbaugh say after the game or maybe it was before, that Edwards still isn't 100%? Maybe he came back from his knee injury way too early. I'm still bummed we lost Josh Morgan. We could have really used his services. At least Crabtree is getting extended time and seems to be developing a rapport with Alex to a decent degree.
                    That crossed my mind when I was reading about Edwards' latest injury. It is rough watching this offense without a 2nd dependable WR. If Pats cut Ochocinco I wouldn't mind SF bringing him on board. 49ers had interest in him when he was on the trade block. I think he would be a much better fit in this offense, with Alex's style of play, compared to the Pats more vertical offense. He doesn't have the speed he used to but he is still a very good route runner.

Comment

• If the 49ers win the rest of their divisional games they will have the two seed locked up:
                      http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-surprise.html

Those of you who watched the Saints (8-3) creep to within a game of the 49ers (9-2) in the NFC playoff race are probably wondering which team would get the first-round bye if they finished with the same record. The first tiebreaker, according to the NFL, is head to head. That's moot in this case. The second is the teams' respective conference records.

The 49ers have lost one conference game (Dallas). The Saints have lost three (Packers, Bucs, Rams). That means if the Saints were to win the rest of their games, the 49ers could afford one more loss -- to any of its upcoming opponents -- and still get the bye.

The 49ers' remaining games: vs. Rams, at Cardinals, vs. Steelers, at Seahawks, at Rams.

The Saints' remaining games: vs. Lions, at Titans, at Vikings, vs. Falcons, vs. Panthers.
                      More incentive to play the starters through the year. I don't see the Saints losing from here on out.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
                        If the 49ers win the rest of their divisional games they will have the two seed locked up:
                        http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-surprise.html

More incentive to play the starters through the year. I don't see the Saints losing from here on out.

I could defintely see them losing to ATL. That might be a playoff birth on the line for the Dirty Birds and they always play the Saints tough. They wouldn't
                        steam-roll them like they did the G-Men.

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
                          I could defintely see them losing to ATL. That might be a playoff birth on the line for the Dirty Birds and they always play the Saints tough. They wouldn't
                          steam-roll them like they did the G-Men.
                          I could see the Saints even losing to the Lions in a shootout. I think the Falcons have the best chance to beat them at this point though.

Comment

• Long and informative one-on-one interview with Alex Smith done by Tim Kawakami...

-Q: How dangerous do you think this team can be in the playoffs?

-SMITH: Good question, how am I going to word this? I think on offense, and I really mean this, we’ve only begun to scratch the surface of what we can do. Really only kind of toyed with what we can become and when we play well and kind of firing on all cylinders.The defense is playing really well right now, special teams… I mean, we’re playing as a team, playing good football across the board.

But I think on offense, we’ll show it in spurts here and there, but really haven’t really scratched it… for me, and I’ve said this before, that’s the encouraging thing. That’s the scary thing for all of us—we haven’t really hit it yet.

-Q: Haven’t really needed to.

-SMITH: Yeah, and have been winning games like that. Boy, wait until we really get going and get in a groove.

-Q: You mean cutting loose?

-SMITH: Yeah, both ways, just firing, attacking. Just attacking defenses. And we do it. But obviously, the first year, the long season, we’re still just learning and still growing every week with each other. It’s only the tip of the iceberg.
                            http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...in-a-good-way/

Comment

• Encouraging words. Show me though. Don't tell me.

Comment

• By the way watching a lot of Jim Harbaugh's press conferences and listening to his weekly radio show he's had this season...dude kind of seems like an asshole. I know he's not in this business to make friends, but still...it's like he has a personal vendetta with the media. His brother seems a lot more friendly.

In the long run I guess it doesn't matter, but at the same time I feel like he's just gonna explode one of these days. Especially if the 49ers have a losing season down the road during his tenure. Man has a short fuse.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information