Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by PatrickWillis View Post
    WR is not an issue. Talk to any scout and they will tell you that there is plenty of talent at the skill position. You got 2 TE's who run 4.4's, matchup nightmares. You got a receiver with very good power, rac ability in Crabtree. Braylon is hurt, but when healthy has put a turd like Derek Anderson in the pro bowl. Kyle Williams would kill in the slot.

    2) Tackles. I'd like to keep Anthony davis because he can run block but we need an upgrade over Staley for the blindside.
    Not gonna bother arguing with you about Smith because you are obviously just trolling but WR is definitely an issue. Crabtree is making it abundantly clear that he is not a #1 WR and Braylon is going to be gone next year. Davis, who I love, has been pretty good this year and Walker is good but really overrated by a lot of 49er fans. Kyle Williams definitely has potential but with him, Crabtree and a healthy Morgan we still don't have a go-to receiver.

    As for the second comment, lol. Staley is our best offensive lineman and Davis is our worst, when Rachal is out.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by PatrickWillis View Post
      Eric Davis, while I have not heard much of him, seems to sound like a lot of other former players that don't have much clue as to what they're talking about.
      Got it. Note to self: Do not use former players as a reference when arguing points in the future.

      Originally posted by PatrickWillis View Post
      As for 49er analysts...I heard Dwight Clark after the rams game call Crabtree's route running "precise" and "exceptional". But surely, his opinion doesn't matter since he disagrees with you, right?
      Oh.
      Originally posted by Babylon
      It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

      Comment


      • Patrick Wills I think we all understand your viewpoint on Alex Smith pretty clear now but I want to hear what is your solution to the QB problem? What QB's would you target in the upcoming draft, FA or through trade to improve this team?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by king2am View Post
          Got it. Note to self: Do not use former players as a reference when arguing points in the future.



          Oh.
          Notice I did it BECAUSE....Binary seems to love other analysts opinions instead of his own. I used his own logic against him.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
            Not gonna bother arguing with you about Smith because you are obviously just trolling but WR is definitely an issue. Crabtree is making it abundantly clear that he is not a #1 WR and Braylon is going to be gone next year. Davis, who I love, has been pretty good this year and Walker is good but really overrated by a lot of 49er fans. Kyle Williams definitely has potential but with him, Crabtree and a healthy Morgan we still don't have a go-to receiver.

            As for the second comment, lol. Staley is our best offensive lineman and Davis is our worst, when Rachal is out.
            1) Trolling? No. Another excuse. Crabtree has shown plenty of times this year that despite his speed, he can create separation deep with his precise cuts on double move and burst off the LOS. There has not been a receiver in football that has been overthrown or underthrown more than Crabtree has. I wouldn't say he's top 10 in terms of talent but I would put him in the top 20. He'd have 1100+ yards with a competent QB.

            2) Walker is not overrated. He might just be our best player after the catch in space, and that's saying something. He runs past most defenses, if you noticed that 1st offensive play vs the Ravens he ran past their whole team but your boy Alex Smith decided to check it down for 2 yards. Lol.

            3) Joe Staley gets abused quite often. Not sure how you could say he's our best lineman. Best lineman don't get beat as often as staley does. The one thing he is good at is moving in space on the toss sweeps. His inline blocking is poor, and he gets eaten alive in pass protection. Davis is not a good pass protector at all but he can run block with the best of them. Hence why I'd be fine keeping him at RT and finding a replacement for Staley.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
              Patrick Wills I think we all understand your viewpoint on Alex Smith pretty clear now but I want to hear what is your solution to the QB problem? What QB's would you target in the upcoming draft, FA or through trade to improve this team?
              Obviously I would love to trade up and get Barkley. I know USC QB's have been overrated in years past but I feel really good about Matt Barkley's ability to actually throw receivers open, not run into sacks(you know, DECENT movement within the pocket) and doesn't seem to have accuracy issues.

              There's also 2 other guys I like that we could get in Late round 1, those being Ryan Tannehill and Kirk Cousins. Tannehill would be a semi-project as he is a converted WR but he has shown some natural passing skills at A&M this year. He has an outstanding arm, very good footspeed for the position and has good movement within the pocket. Cousins is a guy who won't wow you at all with physical skill, but he is deadly accurate on the intermediate routes, has a very quick release, and can elude the rush with the best of them.

              In free agency I would target Matt Flynn from the packers, as from the little I have seen him he has much better accuracy both intermediate and deep than Alex, and a quicker release. Doesn't telegraph his throws or stare receivers down.

              Now as for Alex Smith, people think I am trolling or "hating". Simply not true.

              My problems with him are this:

              -Horrible deep ball accuracy. Especially to the far sideline.

              -Pocket movement. I'm serious. People LOVE to place all the blame on the line. But take a look at how Tony Romo operates in the pocket, then watch Alex Smith's footwork. There is a world of difference.

              -Plays with no urgency. Now EVERYONE (including me) blamed all the clock management issues last year on old Jimmy Raye. Yet, it turns out, Alex Smith seems to just LOVE to waste timeouts whenever his fragile psyche is confused by the look of the defense. And how many delay of games have there been? This is inexcusable stuff. And since it's happened with two staffs already I'm not so sure it's the coordinators fault.

              -Lack of throwing receivers open, backshoulder throws, etc...

              I have YET to see Alex Smith throw a pass before the receivers break to create maximum separation. All the elite guys do this regularly. But not Alex. It seems like all the big plays we've had this year are a product of "rub design', which means Alex doesn't throw it until the receiver is wide open. This also hurts the YAC, as it allows the defense that extra second to close on the receiver/ball carrier.

              - Release. His release is very slow. Not sure how even his most hardcore fans could dispute this. Release plays a big factor in being able to make stick throws.

              Bottom line: I just want a quarterback who shows some natural passing skill. A quarterback who is not going to create a bunch of sacks on his own clueless movement in the pocket.And a quarterback who does not suffer from his mechanics failing every 4 or 5 games.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by PatrickWillis View Post
                3) Joe Staley gets abused quite often. Not sure how you could say he's our best lineman. Best lineman don't get beat as often as staley does. The one thing he is good at is moving in space on the toss sweeps. His inline blocking is poor, and he gets eaten alive in pass protection. Davis is not a good pass protector at all but he can run block with the best of them. Hence why I'd be fine keeping him at RT and finding a replacement for Staley.
                Are we talking about the same Staley here? Staley is a top 12 pass-blocking LT and has only given up a few sacks and a handful of pressures all year. His run-blocking is also better than Davis'.

                Comment


                • Abbadon, I think Crabtree can be a #1 guy, he's improved a lot over the last rtwo yeas...actually just over the last handful of games, there's not reason to think he can't keep it up. He'll never be an athletic beast or be incredibly explosive, but now that he runs better routes and is healthy, his suddenness and change-of-direction is killing people. He's also a lot stronger than most think.

                  He used to have really questionable hands, run sloppy routes, and just had a problem with balance overall - he's remedied most of those concerns. He'll still drop a key pass here and there, but he's not nearly as bad as the others on the team. I think what we're seeing is the result of him being healthy and building some chemistry with Alex. Harbaugh is recognizing what Crabtree is good at and utilizing him in those areas, that's the key. Finally, he's in a good system for once. Now if we had another threat on the opposite side, who knows how good he could be.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                    Are we talking about the same Staley here? Staley is a top 12 pass-blocking LT and has only given up a few sacks and a handful of pressures all year. His run-blocking is also better than Davis'.
                    I'm not sure I can take your opinion seriously since you're the same guy who said Alex Smith was our best offensive player yesterday. But I will bite.

                    Staley does not run block. He is good in space on toss sweeps. He does not move anyone back. Saying that he is a better run blocker than Davis really hurts your credibility (again). I'd also like to see some stats on how Staley is a top 12 pass blocking LT, when it seems he lets a someone free almost every game.

                    Comment


                    • I don't disagree that Crabtree has improved but I just don't see him getting better anymore. He was supposed to be an elite receiver but he is pretty much just a solid blocker that can create separation with decent routes on intermediate pass plays. He and Josh Morgan are basically the same player, imo.

                      I would love for Crabtree to prove me wrong but until he can go two games without dropping a pass or not finding the ball in the air or just running the wrong route I can't support him as our #1 receiver.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by binary View Post
                        Abbadon, I think Crabtree can be a #1 guy, he's improved a lot over the last rtwo yeas...actually just over the last handful of games, there's not reason to think he can't keep it up. He'll never be an athletic beast or be incredibly explosive, but now that he runs better routes and is healthy, his suddenness and change-of-direction is killing people. He's also a lot stronger than most think.

                        He used to have really questionable hands, run sloppy routes, and just had a problem with balance overall - he's remedied most of those concerns. He'll still drop a key pass here and there, but he's not nearly as bad as the others on the team. I think what we're seeing is the result of him being healthy and building some chemistry with Alex. Harbaugh is recognizing what Crabtree is good at and utilizing him in those areas, that's the key. Finally, he's in a good system for once. Now if we had another threat on the opposite side, who knows how good he could be.
                        He ran questionable routes last year......Baloney.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                          I don't disagree that Crabtree has improved but I just don't see him getting better anymore. He was supposed to be an elite receiver but he is pretty much just a solid blocker that can create separation with decent routes on intermediate pass plays. He and Josh Morgan are basically the same player, imo.

                          I would love for Crabtree to prove me wrong but until he can go two games without dropping a pass or not finding the ball in the air or just running the wrong route I can't support him as our #1 receiver.
                          How do you know he runs the wrong route? WTF? Evidence please.

                          And laughable you would say Morgan is even close to the talent Crabtree is. Morgan is a tick faster. Thats it.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by PatrickWillis View Post
                            I'm not sure I can take your opinion seriously since you're the same guy who said Alex Smith was our best offensive player yesterday. But I will bite.

                            Staley does not run block. He is good in space on toss sweeps. He does not move anyone back. Saying that he is a better run blocker than Davis really hurts your credibility (again). I'd also like to see some stats on how Staley is a top 12 pass blocking LT, when it seems he lets a someone free almost every game.
                            Can you give five examples of sacks Staley has given up this year? You probably can't even give 10 examples of pressures he has given up. He has made a few big mistakes this season and those have completely overshadowed his otherwise very good play.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by PatrickWillis View Post
                              How do you know he runs the wrong route? WTF? Evidence please.

                              And laughable you would say Morgan is even close to the talent Crabtree is. Morgan is a tick faster. Thats it.
                              I didn't say that Morgan is close in talent to Crabtree. I said that right now they are basically the same player

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                                Can you give five examples of sacks Staley has given up this year? You probably can't even give 10 examples of pressures he has given up. He has made a few big mistakes this season and those have completely overshadowed his otherwise very good play.
                                Yeah I will give you those examples right after you show me evidence that Crabtree runs the wrong routes...Especially since Harbaugh has said Crabtree has been "100%" on his assignments.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information