Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, this place has become a ghost town, lol.....

In other news, Paul Chryst becomes the new HC at Pitt. For those who don't know, his brother Geep is our QB coach. He got the job over our very own Jim Tomsula, who interviewed for the position. He takes over for Todd Graham, who left Pitt after only a year to take over at ASU, where our LB coach Jim Leavitt interviewed for the HC position as well. Talk about six degrees of seperation....

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
      Wow, this place has become a ghost town, lol.....

In other news, Paul Chryst becomes the new HC at Pitt. For those who don't know, his brother Geep is our QB coach. He got the job over our very own Jim Tomsula, who interviewed for the position. He takes over for Todd Graham, who left Pitt after only a year to take over at ASU, where our LB coach Jim Leavitt interviewed for the HC position as well. Talk about six degrees of seperation....
      Turns out the Tomsula interview was just a rumor and never happened. It is interesting, however, that Paul Chryst runs an offense very similar to that of Jim Harbaugh and Harbaugh tried to get him to join his brother on the 49ers' staff this past offseason.

Comment

• So it was a rumor......coo.

PFF released their indiviual rankings for all our defensive players and Goldson graded out as being the weakest link on our defense. I can't put too much stock into their rankings because I think their formula for ranking DBs and Safties is a tad flawed but it brought me to a convo I was having with a fellow Niner fan at work.

Should we bring back Goldson and give him a long-term deal? Goldson proved this past off-season that he thinks highly off his skillset and wants to be one of the top paid players at his position. So anyone here thinking he sticks around for a fair contract is kidding themselves. So I ask you, is Goldson worth it? Personally I dont think so. To me, Goldson is the epitome of a boom or bust type of player. He's either going to make a play or give up one. Im not really found of the angles he takes in coverage and I think he misses far too many tackles. His 6 picks are great but still would like someone a little more stout in coverage on the back-end. I really wanted us to go after a Jim Leonhard but Im not so sure after he torn his patella tendon in his knee and will end up on IR for the second consecutive year. Leonhard is a sure tackler who is sound in coverage and is always around the ball. He has a little more range than Goldson, though he is also smaller than him too. I typically like a taller FS, and Leonhard is only 5'8 but I just like the way he plays the game. You rarely see him out of position or get fooled by a opposing QB. He wouldn't be that physical intimidator Goldson is. Not too many woo hits coming from Leonhard but I think he causes problems for opposing offenses with his speed and his smarts. But like I said, he will now have that "injury-prone" label on him so its buyer beware.

And if we do let Goldson walk, who in free agency do you think we could sign to come in and play as good, if not better than him? Aside from Leonhard, is there anyone else worth taking a look at?

Comment

• Colin Jones will be the savior of our secondary if Goldson follows the money.

Maybe not, but somebody has to be the guy that was calling for him to move up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rabscuttle View Post
            Colin Jones will be the savior of our secondary if Goldson follows the money
            he's the lowest safety on the depth chart.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
              he's the lowest safety on the depth chart.
              Bah, details.

Comment

• There are probably 20+ teams in the NFL that would kill for Dashon Goldson.

Comment

• Heres how Goldson ranks amongst all 32+ NFL Free Safeties...

Tackles - 16th (Is to be expected with his style of play and how stout the Front-7 is)

Forced Fumbles - Tied for 7th
                  Passes Defensed - 2nd
                  Interceptions - 2nd

Comment

• No way Goldson should be worse than Whitner or whoever is starting opposite Carlos Rogers. But I could see him being a bottom three member of our defense, though that is only because our front seven is so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                      There are probably 20+ teams in the NFL that would kill for Dashon Goldson.
                      You have a point.....sortta. He's better than average. And most NFL safties are average. That being said, would you make him the higest paid safety in the league? Because that's what its going to take to bring him back in my opinion.

And I would love for Jones to make a giant leap in the off-season and show us he could become that Jim Leonhard-type in a few years. But the chances of that happening are slim to none. Actually their stories are kind of similar. Lowly draft prospects who weren't given a real shot at making a NFL roster at their respective position. Made the mark early in their careers due to their STs prowless. Speedy, heady players. Could be something there......
                      Last edited by VAfy-ya; 12-22-2011, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                        No way Goldson should be worse than Whitner or whoever is starting opposite Carlos Rogers. But I could see him being a bottom three member of our defense, though that is only because our front seven is so good.
                        Why shouldn't he be worst than Whitner? Whit is one of the big reasons are defense is improved. If you gonna give Whit flack for not being able to cover TEs, well most SS can't cover TEs in this league, especially good ones. And he's held up pretty good in those one-on-one situations, all things considered. Without Whitner, Goldson doesn't have those 6 picks. Whitner does a myrid of things for our defense. Alot of it just goes unoticed. Just Whitner's presence means Goldson doesn't have to be the one locked on TEs in man coverage. He can roam in Cover 1 and hawk the ball. Or maybe you don't remember how it was having guys like Taylor Mays or Michael Lewis back there getting raped every week.

Comment

• Reggie Smith and Goldson are free agents. So Smith could be the replacement. He was tearing it up in training camp, but then he was set back by his injury.

Comment

• Honestly, Reggie Smith has never really impressed me. He just seems like a backup ... or a Cowboys safety.
                            The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Don't want to give Goldson a mega contract, but he's earned it. I mean six interceptions is pretty nice for his position and he's really thriving now that this entire defense is playing well. The front seven is allowing him to make a lot of plays. He gets turnovers. He's not great in coverage, but how many safeties in the NFL are really great in coverage? Like really, really good? So good that you'll feel comfortable against the deep ball every time. The only one that comes to mind in my opinion is Ed Reed, but he's a Hall of Famer. Good safeties are hard to come by. This is the best safety play we've probably had since Tim McDonald and Merton Hanks.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                              -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                              Originally posted by Borat
                              Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Workin on the new gameday thread. Should be up in a couple of hours.
                                The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information