This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
    If the Ravens can do it with Trent Dilfer the 9ers can do with Smith.
    Yeah except this isn't 2000 where offenses didn't have as much leverage as they do today. And our defense is great, but it's not like that 2000 Ravens D.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
    Originally posted by Borat
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Damn, I wish I could complain about a 13-3 team.

Originally posted by 49erNation85
      I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
        Though our defense isnt the same caliber of that Ravens team, that isnt even the most recent example. 2009 Giants are a perfect example of what a stingy, opportunistic defense, coupled with a good running game and some timely throws and plays in the passing game can lead you. Eli back then was far from the QB he is today. But he made plays all through the playoffs when they were there to make. And they beat a offensive juggernaut in a game where nobody gave them a chance. Like I've been saying, I like our chances in these playoffs.
        I think you mean the 2007 Giants. Even so, they weren't god-awful on third downs. 42%. That's pretty respectable. 49ers offense in 2011? 29%. Terrible. I will say that the thing that balances that out for the 49ers is that they were -9 in turnover difference and we are +28.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
          You are frustrated because you want the 49ers to be a glorified passing offense that lights up the stat sheet and the scoreboard. GET OVER IT! It won't happen that's not how Harbaugh runs is offense. Harbaugh had the best and most talented qb in college last year, and they ran the SAME offense. Harbaugh runs the football and the big passing games come off of play action. That's his offense.

As long as Harbaugh is the coach maybe you should just switch the team you follow you might be happier.
          I'm not asking for the greatest show on turf. Just middle of the pack. And using the "it's the type of offense" card is a terrible excuse. That doesn't mean you can't convert third downs and throw accurate passes to receivers and capitalize on big plays. When that isn't happening it's usually because your quarterback isn't consistent enough is just isn't that good.

Comment

• Matthew Icicle?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits...2010/matt-ryan

Consider me unimpressed.

Meant to be 2011 but you can click and see his 3 and 6+ or specifically his 3rd and 9+
            Nothing much, he's alright. No better than Smith in 3rd and forever.
            Last edited by ViperVisor; 01-02-2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ViperVisor View Post
              Matthew Icicle?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits...2010/matt-ryan

Consider me unimpressed.
              Why did you a post a link to his 2010 split stats?

Comment

• 1st Downs when rushing on 3rd.

Alex Smith 6 out of 19
                Frank Gore 7 out of 30
                Kendall Hunter 3 out of 14

Marshawn Lynch 10 out of 13
                Adrian Peterson 10 out of 14

There's your problem.

Comment

• Well it seems Roman is one of the finalist for the Penn State gig. Out of all our assistants, I care about losing Roman the least, as it is Harbaugh's offense and Im sure he'd bring in capable replacement. With all these vacancies around the league, I could see teams coming after a few guys on our staff. Just as long as we hold on to Seely, Rathman, Tomsula, Fangio, and Donatel.
                  Last edited by VAfy-ya; 01-02-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

1st Downs when rushing on 3rd.

Alex Smith 6 out of 19
                    Frank Gore 7 out of 30

There's your problem.
                    You want to put the down and distance for each of those third downs while you are at it? Because those numbers are useless without the down and distance.

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
                      Well it seems Roman is one of the finalist for the Penn State gig. Out of all our assistants, I care about losing Roman the least, as it is Harbaugh's offense and Im sure he'd bring in capable replacement. With all these vacancies around the league, I could see teams coming after a few guys. Just as long as we hold on to Seely, Rathman, Tomsula, Fangio, and Donatel.
                      Wow we can't have one year while keep all of our assistants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                        You want to put the down and distance for each of those third downs while you are at it? Because those numbers are useless without the down and distance.
                        I was hoping you'd ask.

3rd and less than 3

Frank Gore 6 out of 13

Adrian Peterson 10 out of 11
                        Marshawn Lynch 8 out of 10

We were terrible at running in the clutch and redzone.

Comment

1st Downs when rushing on 3rd.

Alex Smith 6 out of 19
                          Frank Gore 7 out of 30

There's your problem.
                          Its really irrelevant without knowing the distance and where on the field(EDIT * I just saw your reply to Ness's post) all these took place. But it does illustrste my point that we arent a good short-yardage running team. We're much better at pulling or trapping. Its why I feel we need upgrades at center and RG to be the Power running team Jimbaugh wants to be. Too many finesse guys upfront(Goodwin, Synder). Maulers needed to get those tough yards.

Comment

I was hoping you'd ask.

3rd and less than 3

Frank Gore 6 out of 13

Adrian Peterson 10 out of 11
                            Marshawn Lynch 8 out of 10

We were terrible at running in the clutch and redzone.
                            Can you do the same thing for passers? Third down and let's say 5 or 6 yards to go?

It would be nice if we choose other runners on other teams other than Seattle and Minnesota. How about New Orleans? Atlanta? Green Bay? Detroit? Let's check out teams with quarterbacks that are actually good.

Comment

Can you do the same thing for passers? Third down and let's say 5 or 6 yards to go?

It would be nice if we choose other runners on other teams other than Seattle and Minnesota. How about New Orleans? Atlanta? Green Bay? Detroit? Let's check out teams with quarterbacks that are actually good.
                              Atlanta? Matt Ryan ain't better than Smith.

Lots of neat stats
                              http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/l...0&type=Passing

Comment

I'm not asking for the greatest show on turf. Just middle of the pack.
                                No, you want yards, yards, yards. The 49ers rank 11th in points per game. That's 5 better than the "middle of the pack" that you hope for.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information