This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
    He also got sacked on his last attempt on a third down right? Not blaming him for the Rams late surge, but if I remember correctly he took another self sack. Needs to get rid of the ball on that play.
    That was a really smart play, it forced the RAms to use a timeout. Harbaugh said the same.

Comment

• Right, but I think there was a receiver open on that play he could have made a completion to. I'll have to look again, but I think there was an open man he could have easily made a completion to.

If the 49ers simply wanted to run out the clock and keep it going, why risk a pass at all?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
        Not even Dez Bryant Part 2. His name shouldnt even be mentioned in the same breathe as Megatron. He's good but far from elite. He reminds me alot of Crabtree. Not sold on his ability at the next level just yet. No where as physically gifted as Megatron. I'm not even sure I'd put him on AJ Green's level. Just a notch below.
        My thoughts exactly. I don't understand the hype. He's solid, just not elite...

Comment

If the 49ers simply wanted to run out the clock and keep it going, why risk a pass at all?
          Maybe it was a "if the guy is open throw it, otherwise run for it" type of deal?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

he could have easily made a completion to.
            The way you word it, it's like you almost believe that Alex Smith INTENTIONALLY makes plays that you deem poor.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
              The way you word it, it's like you almost believe that Alex Smith INTENTIONALLY makes plays that you deem poor.
              Just saying he could have completed a pass instead of take a sack.
              Last edited by Ness; 01-03-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Greg Cossell talking **** again. Apparently the 49ers are pretenders. I really hate this guy.

Perhaps just as important, Smith has thrown the fewest passes of any quarterback who has started all 16 games. And the second fewest third down passes. That’s not an accident. Jim Harbaugh recognized immediately that Smith had limitations as a passer, and those limitations had to be managed and manipulated within the overall context of his team and its strengths. Such an evaluation is the job of the head coach, and Harbaugh has made it brilliantly.
                http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/01/02/c...ng-pretending/

Comment

Greg Cossell talking **** again. Apparently the 49ers are pretenders. I really hate this guy.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/01/02/c...ng-pretending/
                  What do you feel Cosell says that you don't say regularly?

Truly not trying to argue. I'm trying to get Ness to be more confident in this team.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                    What do you feel Cosell says that you don't say regularly?

Truly not trying to argue. I'm trying to get Ness to be more confident in this team.
                    Well if were are talking about the Lions and 49ers comparison, that's just flat out dumb. The 49ers beat the Lions in their own stadium!

And most of my complaining about Alex Smith and such has been for the long term of this franchise year in and year out. Obviously nothing can be done about the quarterback situation now.

Comment

• What Jimbo saw was the abortion of an O-Line in the preseason.

The offense was deliberately dialed back and hope was D and ST could hold the games close and we could pound the ball for those crucial 1st downs and TDs. That was the personnel he was handed.
                      That happened and the offense was trying to come together with better o-line play and WR depth chart falling into place but Morgan IR and Braylon MIA really put us in trouble.

O-line also was picked on BADLY by some quality D schemes.

Other things are holding us back beyond Smith. Jim never had a 300 yard passing attack in mind to begin with. Probably 250. The reason we haven't reached that is mostly the OL and WR and how can Gore have 6 drops with only 17 catches?

Comment

Just saying he could have completed a pass instead of take a sack.
                        According to whom? I like how you just assume there had to be a open receiver somewhere. Show me a open receiver running free on that play. So let's just say he does complete the pass, its probably short of the first down so what does a completed pass do that taking a sack doesn't? You just dont want him taking a sack because it looks bad to you, even though it is absolutely the right play to make at that point in time to help preserve a victory. So its all about style points with you, not playing the game to win.....got it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ViperVisor View Post
                          What Jimbo saw was the abortion of an O-Line in the preseason.

The offense was deliberately dialed back and hope was D and ST could hold the games close and we could pound the ball for those crucial 1st downs and TDs. That was the personnel he was handed.
                          That happened and the offense was trying to come together with better o-line play and WR depth chart falling into place but Morgan IR and Braylon MIA really put us in trouble.

O-line also was picked on BADLY by some quality D schemes.

Other things are holding us back beyond Smith. Jim never had a 300 yard passing attack in mind to begin with. Probably 250. The reason we haven't reached that is mostly the OL and WR and how can Gore have 6 drops with only 17 catches?
                          Excellent post. And I think Jimbaugh would like the ability to throw for over 300 yards if the game calls for it. But you will never have a Jimbaugh coached team be a very pass-happy team the way the Saints or Pats are. He very much believes in running the ball to control clock. That will never change. I doubt you'll ever see a Jimbaugh QB throw for over 450 yards in a game. That's not how he believes the game is played. Of all the WCO guys around the league he's probably the least like Walsh in that regard. He doesn't believe in passing to set-up the run.....not even. He wants a O-Line and TE personel with the ability to run agaisnt 8 in the box on a consistent basis. I think it is more important to him then finding a big play WR at this point. He wants the ability to physically dominate the LOS. He has it on defense. No where near so on offense. That's why I keep harping on the need for upgrades at Center and RG. And add 3rd TE to that as well, depending on how Byham returns from his injury. If he gets those three positions into place, you will defintely see more running for first downs in the future on 3rd and 3, 3rd and 2. Thats what he wants to do, so he can have the ability to play-action in those instances.

Comment

Excellent post. And I think Jimbaugh would like the ability to throw for over 300 yards if the game calls for it. But you will never have a Jimbaugh coached team be a very pass-happy team the way the Saints or Pats are. He very much believes in running the ball to control clock. That will never change. I doubt you'll ever see a Jimbaugh QB throw for over 450 yards in a game. That's not how he believes the game is played. Of all the WCO guys around the league he's probably the least like Walsh in that regard. He doesn't believe in passing to set-up the run.....not even. He wants a O-Line and TE personel with the ability to run agaisnt 8 in the box on a consistent basis. I think it is more important to him then finding a big play WR at this point. He wants the ability to physically dominate the LOS. He has it on defense. No where near so on offense. That's why I keep harping on the need for upgrades at Center and RG. And add 3rd TE to that as well, depending on how Byham returns from his injury. If he gets those three positions into place, you will defintely see more running for first downs in the future on 3rd and 3, 3rd and 2. Thats what he wants to do, so he can have the ability to play-action in those instances.
                            So much this.

Well said Vafy
                            The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

According to whom? I like how you just assume there had to be a open receiver somewhere. Show me a open receiver running free on that play. So let's just say he does complete the pass, its probably short of the first down so what does a completed pass do that taking a sack doesn't? You just dont want him taking a sack because it looks bad to you, even though it is absolutely the right play to make at that point in time to help preserve a victory. So its all about style points with you, not playing the game to win.....got it.
                              According to the game.

LOL okay well clearly you are going to believe what you want to believe or won't be satisfied with what you don't want to hear. I'll go back and freeze frame the game on the play I'm talking about.

Comment

• Here it is. Michael Crabtree was doubled on the other side. Swain was left in one on one coverage on that play. Vernon Davis was open in a zone and Smith could have darted it to him.

Instead, this is what happened:

I think I would have taken the one on one coverage with Swain or tried to dart it to Vernon Davis. Alex looked he was going to pull the trigger to Vernon, but when he got pressured he panicked and rolled to his right for a sack.
                                Last edited by Ness; 01-04-2012, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information