Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I likr Vick Ballard a lot as far as power backs go in the draft. I'm not sure how long he will last though.
    Originally posted by 49erNation85
    I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
      I like how Dan is preaching aggression over conservatism when it was Kyle Williams' aggression that cost them the most.
      It wasnt Williams aggression that cost us the game, it was his inexperience and im sure, nervousness that cost us the game.

Originally posted by Borat View Post
      New topic: Should the 9ers make a run at Mike Tolbert?

I think he's a perfect compliment to Gore. Kind of what I thought Anthony Dixon was going to become. He's a strong redzone runner where Gore is weak. You can still mix in Hunter on 3rd downs. And hopefully keeps Gore fresher for the playoffs. Seems like a great fit to me.
      Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
      I thought about it, but we really have bigger fish to fry in free agency. And really dont see the Chargers letting him walk with a injury-prone Matthews as your lone opiton in the backfield. Honestly it wouldnt surprise me if they franchised him.
      Wouldnt mind Tolbert but dont see SD letting him leave as an UFA.

Comment

• Here's a tidbit that I just read on PFT.....

With the new CBA, tendering an RFA at the highest level ONLY requires a first round draft pick in trade compensation. The Steelers are trying to clear enough cap room to franchise WR Mike Wallace. Texans are also trying to do the same so they can franchise RB Arian Foster who's also an RFA.

Back to Wallace, is everyone here still not willing to trade away our first rounder to PIT for him? If we end up going after a WR at 30, I dont think that receiver could come in and start day one where as Wallace would not only start opposite Crabtree but he would automatically become our number one receiver.

Look at the receivers im hoping for -

1) DeSean Jackson (expected to be franchised by PHI)
        2) Mike Wallace (RFA, expected to be tendered at the highest level and possibly franchised by PIT)
        3) Dwayne Bowe (expected to be franchise by KC)
        4) Pierre Garcon (expected to test the market, could re-sign with IND)
        5) Vincent Jackson (expected to hit the market, will most likely be allowed to leave SD)
        6) Marques Colston (expected to hit the market and leave NO, highly unlikely to be franchised as Brees and Nicks would be tagged before him)
        7) Stevie Johnson (expected to hit the market but could be franchised by BUF)
        8) Robert Meachem (expected to leave NO via UFA) / Mario Manningham (expected to leave the NYG via UFA)

I think that lists every WR that everyone here is hoping for. Other receivers include Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne and others but I dont think that they will leave their respective team and I dont think anyone here wants any other WR thats on the list.

Looking at that list, the only receiver that seems to be as close to a guarantee of actually hitting UFA would be Vincent Jackson but at 29, is he worth the risk of a long term contract? I would rather have Garcon because he's younger but Jackson can be more dominant. Tough decision. All I know is that we need a true number one playmaking WR on the outside because Crabtree isnt a number one receiver and as the number two receiver, maybe he'll finally break out.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Bryant Johnson didn't make the list?
          The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• No to Wallace. I know your in love with him Dan but we're not giving up a first round draft pick for any RFA. There is no guanranteed we're going WR at 30th. Anything can happen. Too many good WRs who are UFA to worry about giving up a 1st rounder to sign a RFA. Garcon, VJ, Meachem, or Manningham can have a equal effect to Wallace in this offense. Me personally, I really like Garcon and Meachem. And this draft class is way too deep at receiver to give up a draft pick. What Wallace brings to the table, we can draft after the first. Plenty of speedsters in this draft to be had later on.

Comment

• Wallace tends to disappear in big games, and has yet develop much of a game outside of running go routes and bubble screens. Antonio Brown is a far more complete receiver on that team.

Comment

Bryant Johnson didn't make the list?
                And no Eric Moulds?
                Originally posted by 49erNation85
                I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Bryant Johnson didn't make the list?
                  Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                  And no Eric Moulds?
                  Funny but if the 49ers go back to being what they were from 2003-2010, then, you'll both be wishing that the team took a chance on Owens and/or Moss.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                    Funny but if the 49ers go back to being what they were from 2003-2010, then, you'll both be wishing that the team took a chance on Owens and/or Moss.
                    Why would they go back to '03-'10? Is the entire defense a free agent? Is Mike Nolan coming back? Is Terry Donahue plowing John York's daughter?

Dan, I've said this before, but Owens is never allowed near my franchise again. He made his feelings known when he left. That's fine. But he doesn't get to come back now. No hard feelings T.O., but you have to get the **** out of my city and never come back. Those are the rules.
                    The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya
                      No to Wallace. I know your in love with him Dan but we're not giving up a first round draft pick for any RFA. There is no guanranteed we're going WR at 30th. Anything can happen. Too many good WRs who are UFA to worry about giving up a 1st rounder to sign a RFA. Garcon, VJ, Meachem, or Manningham can have a equal effect to Wallace in this offense. Me personally, I really like Garcon and Meachem. And this draft class is way too deep at receiver to give up a draft pick. What Wallace brings to the table, we can draft after the first. Plenty of speedsters in this draft to be had later on.
                      If we dont sign a WR in FA, then I think that WR is number one on the list at 30 so instead of drafting a rookie receiver, why not trade for a receiver who has already proven himself to be a number one receiver and is exactly what we need which is a speed playmaking receiver on the outside who requires a double team just because of his speed.

As for drafting a speed receiver, that guy wont be a starter so what would be the point? We need a starting speed receiver opposite Crabtree. Not a rookie who's not going to start anyway.

Garcon would be good and Vincent would be damn good but he's 29 and isnt worth paying huge money too. Manningham and Meachem are nowhere close to Wallace and are slot receivers. We need a WR on the outside to start opposite Crabtree.

Originally posted by phlysac
                      Wallace tends to disappear in big games, and has yet develop much of a game outside of running go routes and bubble screens. Antonio Brown is a far more complete receiver on that team.
                      If it wasnt for Wallace drawing double teams (and Miller), Brown wouldnt even be considered as the far more complete receiver because he wouldnt have the one on one chances that Wallace (and Miller) give him.

And while there's no guarantee that we'll draft a WR at 30, there's no guarantee that the potential FA WR's hit FA to start with and that we'll sign one.

Comment

Why would they go back to '03-'10? Is the entire defense a free agent? Is Mike Nolan coming back? Is Terry Donahue plowing John York's daughter?

Dan, I've said this before, but Owens is never allowed near my franchise again. He made his feelings known when he left. That's fine. But he doesn't get to come back now. No hard feelings T.O., but you have to get the **** out of my city and never come back. Those are the rules.
                        Because the schedule will be tougher, our division will be tougher, defenses will know to double Davis and let our other receivers beat them and they know that those others cant.

Yeah, yeah. I know. Its amazing, you and others would rather not see T.O. come back even if meant adding a 6th SB championship. Sorry, but if you're a true fan, you're supposed to want them to do everything possible to win the Super Bowl. And no hard feelings my ass. Fine, you hate T.O. as much as I like him but Owens (or Moss) would have helped us against the Giants and you guys know it. The real reason you guys didnt want either is because just in case they did help us win, you wouldnt want to admit that they were the main reason because of your dislike for either or both.

Sorry but im not the biggest Moss fan in the world but if I thought that he could help us win a 6th SB, you can bet your ass that I would have at the very least brought him in for a meeting and physical. When you think about it, what would have been the harm? Both receivers would have been pumped to win a SB and given it their all which even at 38 and 34 years old is still more than what Crabtree, Williams, Swain and Hastings did.

You guys can hate either or both all you want but that doesnt change the fact that either would have helped us a lot more than who we had at WR and you guys know it. Just dont want to admit it for whatever reason I dont know but it could have been the player I hate the most and if I thought that player would increase our chances of winning a 6th SB, I would have brought that player in for a meeting and physical in a heart beat.

Comment

C'mon Dan if they return to their form from 2 years ago? The following WR's could potentially hit the market this March:
                          Vincent Jackson
                          Wes Welker
                          Dwayne Bowe
                          Marques Colston
                          Stevie Johnson
                          Desean Jackson
                          Mario Manningham
                          Laurant Robinson
                          Mike Wallace
                          Brandon Lloyd
                          Reggie Wayne
                          Pierre Garcon

And we are talking about trying to sign past their primes Randy Moss and Terrell Owens.

Comment

Here's a tidbit that I just read on PFT.....

With the new CBA, tendering an RFA at the highest level ONLY requires a first round draft pick in trade compensation. The Steelers are trying to clear enough cap room to franchise WR Mike Wallace. Texans are also trying to do the same so they can franchise RB Arian Foster who's also an RFA.

Back to Wallace, is everyone here still not willing to trade away our first rounder to PIT for him? If we end up going after a WR at 30, I dont think that receiver could come in and start day one where as Wallace would not only start opposite Crabtree but he would automatically become our number one receiver.

Thoughts?
                            I'm probably the only one but I agree with you Dan. If the 49ers were able to create a deal big enough to force Steelers to move Wallace for a 1st, I would jump at that trade. He is only 25 and one of the top deep threats in the game. He would be the perfect guy to pair with Crabtree. 49ers would be giving up a late first round pick for a proven player.

Comment

If we dont sign a WR in FA, then I think that WR is number one on the list at 30 so instead of drafting a rookie receiver, why not trade for a receiver who has already proven himself to be a number one receiver and is exactly what we need which is a speed playmaking receiver on the outside who requires a double team just because of his speed.

As for drafting a speed receiver, that guy wont be a starter so what would be the point? We need a starting speed receiver opposite Crabtree. Not a rookie who's not going to start anyway.

Garcon would be good and Vincent would be damn good but he's 29 and isnt worth paying huge money too. Manningham and Meachem are nowhere close to Wallace and are slot receivers. We need a WR on the outside to start opposite Crabtree.

If it wasnt for Wallace drawing double teams (and Miller), Brown wouldnt even be considered as the far more complete receiver because he wouldnt have the one on one chances that Wallace (and Miller) give him.

And while there's no guarantee that we'll draft a WR at 30, there's no guarantee that the potential FA WR's hit FA to start with and that we'll sign one.
                              Its not worth the price to sign a guy who is esentially here to run one route. Thats not how samrt franchises operate. Again, what Wallace provides we can draft two players for for half the price. And Phlysac is right, Brown is a better WR. Maybe not as straight line fast but just as quick and explosive and has no problem going over the middle.

Comment

• let teams without a chance of winning waste money on FAs.

in this NFL, you have to draft well, and if you turn to FA, you either bring in guys that have long lasting impact (Justin Smith), cheap starters (Carlos, Whitner), or use it to fill depth (Costanzo)

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information