Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Despite some of the shaky video footage, this has some decent production quality for hyping the game at the Jets. Watch the trailer: http://bit.ly/NVjHoU

#BeatTheJets

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac
      Sorry, Dan. Gore and Jacobs' running styles aren't all that similar. James probably runs the most like Gore, but he doesn't share the size. Brandon Jacobs isn't a hole hitter.
      They're both power runners who go up the middle. Gore has better cutting ability but then again, he's smaller than Jacobs. James? James is small and from the videos I have seen on youtube, he seems like another Hunter type back. Quick, fast and finesse where as Gore and Jacobs are power first and foremost.

As long as we win, I dont care who starts against the Cardinals and considering that Peterson had his best game against them, we should have a field day. Team better not have a letdown. I'll be so pissed.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        They're both power runners who go up the middle. Gore has better cutting ability but then again, he's smaller than Jacobs. James? James is small and from the videos I have seen on youtube, he seems like another Hunter type back. Quick, fast and finesse where as Gore and Jacobs are power first and foremost.

As long as we win, I dont care who starts against the Cardinals and considering that Peterson had his best game against them, we should have a field day. Team better not have a letdown. I'll be so pissed.
        LaMichael James runs between the tackles better than Brandon Jacobs. People see James' size and speed and think he's an outside runner. He isn't really.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
          LaMichael James runs between the tackles better than Brandon Jacobs. People see James' size and speed and think he's an outside runner. He isn't really.
          This. That's why I cant wait to see Hunter and LMJ split some carries once Gore is done. People think they're the same kind of back because they're similar in statue but they will compliment each other so well.

Comment

• We'll see how James does. He might be dynamic, but ehh...for some reason I'm not that sold on him. Of course that isn't that fair since the sample size is small. I just don't have a good feeling for some reason.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
            Originally posted by Borat
            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• This team is usually deadly with more than a week to prepare. Every time we've had more than a week to prepare under Harbaugh, we've won (Bye weeks, season openers, playoffs, the game after a Thursday, etc). Tallying it all up, the 49ers are 5-0 with more than a week to prepare. Now we get a MNF game after a TNF game (mini-bye) and then the actual bye week.

Ideally, this would come out to 2 extra wins. With both those divisional rivals, we could really seperate ourselves if we take care of business.

Comment

• I'll be at this upcoming game and would prefer to see Gore play, even in a timeshare, as he always seems to have a big game against AZ. Also, Vernon Davis should be back involved this week. Can't wait for Monday night!

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• And in regards to VD's ineffectiveness these past two games....like I said previously, it ain't on him.

http://ninerchatter.blogspot.com/201...-to-blame.html

Comment

• I love Gore, I really do, but most of the credit in the Hawks game should go to the Oline..I'm pretty sure Hunter would've racked up similar stats with that sort of blocking.

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
                      And in regards to VD's ineffectiveness these past two games....like I said previously, it ain't on him.

The Alex Smith part is unsettling.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                      Originally posted by Borat
                      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

And in regards to VD's ineffectiveness these past two games....like I said previously, it ain't on him.

WOW does that article detail Alex's poor play on Thursday. Confirms what was already obvious while watching the game, but still...the amount of big plays missed is almost sickening.

Obligatory Gore pic

Comment

Some of this is Smith's fault but I think a lot of people don't seem to understand how a quarterback's progressions work. A lot of times a receiver will come open after the QB has already progressed past him and QBs rarely have time to go back through their progression. I am pretty sure that Davis is probably the first option in most of our pass plays, or at least he should be, so Smith will look at him first. If he isn't open when Smith looks at him he goes to the next receiver in the progression. When Smith used to lock on to his first target and just hope he got open he was criticized for it. Now he quickly goes through his progression and is still criticized for it. On two of the first three plays in that article the 49ers gained good yardage because of it.

The endzone interception was unquestionably terrible but the play the article describes before that was blown way out of proportion. He slides less than a full stride to his left and, judging by direction he was facing right when he got the ball, the play was designed to go somewhere to the left of the field. He slides to get a better view of the part of the field he is supposed to be going to.

The amount of missed big plays is almost sickening? The article only breaks down a handful of plays and most of them are completions for decent to good yardage

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                            The amount of missed big plays is almost sickening? The article only breaks down a handful of plays and most of them are completions for decent to good yardage
                            There were at least 5 plays with an open receiver and no good outcome (incompletion, sack, int). Add in the Kyle Williams overthrow and thats 6. Thats not counting checkdowns that netted positive yardage- Gore's 1st down, Crabtree's 1st down, Walker's TD, etc. Receivers were open downfield but i'll give Alex a break on plays that worked.

Bottom line, our OL gave the QB ample time and the targets were open downfield...we should have at least hit on a few of those. But Alex's pocket presence has been awful lately, and so have his abilities to make reads. The story with Alex the last few weeks has been if the 1st reads not open, scramble around and then dump it off for a checkdown, if we're lucky. The article does a good job of showing how many big plays were left on the field because of this.
                            Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                              There were at least 5 plays with an open receiver and no good outcome (incompletion, sack, int). Add in the Kyle Williams overthrow and thats 6. Thats not counting checkdowns that netted positive yardage- Gore's 1st down, Crabtree's 1st down, Walker's TD, etc. Receivers were open downfield but i'll give Alex a break on plays that worked.

Bottom line, our OL gave the QB ample time and the targets were open downfield...we should have at least hit on a few of those.

The story with Alex the last few weeks has been if the 1st reads not open, scramble around and then dump it off for a checkdown, if we're lucky. The article does a good job of showing how many big plays were left on the field.
                              He seems to be going past the first read on most of these plays and isn't going through your reads once and then getting rid of the ball to your checkdown what a QB is supposed to do? People criticize a QB for locking onto their first read. People criticize a QB for taking a sack when no one is open. And now people criticize a QB for checking down when no one is open. I swear it seems like some people want Smith to just throwing to covered receivers and hoping they come down with the ball. Of course, if he does do that, people will criticize him for getting bailed out by his receivers.
                              Last edited by abaddon41_80; 10-22-2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                                Some of this is Smith's fault but I think a lot of people don't seem to understand how a quarterback's progressions work. A lot of times a receiver will come open after the QB has already progressed past him and QBs rarely have time to go back through their progression. I am pretty sure that Davis is probably the first option in most of our pass plays, or at least he should be, so Smith will look at him first. If he isn't open when Smith looks at him he goes to the next receiver in the progression. When Smith used to lock on to his first target and just hope he got open he was criticized for it. Now he quickly goes through his progression and is still criticized for it. On two of the first three plays in that article the 49ers gained good yardage because of it.

The endzone interception was unquestionably terrible but the play the article describes before that was blown way out of proportion. He slides less than a full stride to his left and, judging by direction he was facing right when he got the ball, the play was designed to go somewhere to the left of the field. He slides to get a better view of the part of the field he is supposed to be going to.

Those are just the one's Jack chose to point out. There were more. And when you see it in real time, with the play in full motion it looks much worst. You can make all the excuses for progression you want. A lot of times Alex isn't even letting guys run out there routes to the intended destination before he bails to the check-down. He doesn't anticipate how a route will break against certain coverages....that's why he only throws when guys are WIDE open. And he's late with the ball on breaking routes, which is another indicator he's not sure of either the coverage or where the WR will be. Either way, it's a problem. He drops his eyes way too often to look at the rush and its very apparent. He feels pressure that isn't there way too often for a guy who's been in the league as long as him. His pocket presence has always been a notch below average and I'm not sure that will ever change but he's rushing himself more than he needs to. Half the sacks Alex takes is him running right into the sack instead of just merely sliding left or right, or stepping up and throwing the ball away. Or at a guy's feet and not eating the sack and losing yards. This line is very good. The pass protection is usually good on most pass plays. So what's the problem?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information