Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By the way, funny how Mark Sanchez is doing reasonably well with the Eagles now that he's distanced himself from Rex Ryan and the Jets.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
    Originally posted by Borat
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Fangio >> Bowles, Austin, Rex Ryan, Quinn, and Tomsula IMO . I say try hiring in house one season or two. I think Fangio could do a great job as a HC. I mean just look what he did for our defense this year and that was as a DC..

I'm so down for him as a HC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
        By the way, funny how Mark Sanchez is doing reasonably well with the Eagles now that he's distanced himself from Rex Ryan and the Jets.
        I didn't really think he was any different. Offensive system is a TON better. He still had more TO's than TD's. His % went way up because his YPA is scary low.

I'm not saying Rex Ryan is an elite head coach but we all love Harbaugh for taking Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick to Conference Championship games. Rex Ryan took Mark Sanchez to two Conference Championship games, as well.

Comment

• If we go defensive with the HC, wtf are we supposed to do about the offense? Who are some good assistants to look at to hire as OC?

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
            If we go defensive with the HC, wtf are we supposed to do about the offense? Who are some good assistants to look at to hire as OC?
            That's part of the importance of this process. Bring in a bunch of stud defensive guys and find out what their offensive plan is.

Many 49ers fans quickly ask for Fangio to be HC. What if he doesn't have a strong offensive plan? I know he wants Donatell to be his DC but no NOTHING about his offensive choices.

Comment

• It's perceived as a 'grass in greener' scenario with every NFL HC job but it really shouldn't be. Every team that lacks on one side of the ball generally goes for a HC that is strong (often only) in that area, where what teams essentially need is a mentally strong and intelligent coach that can be a leader and teacher, a decision-maker, a multi-tasker, a babysitter and a mediator, while not having a personalty too strong that it rocks the boat with the FO, player team leaders and the media.

Look at Marc Trestman. He comes in year one as the savior of the offense and the Bears have a good season and their offense is improved but they don't get very close to winning a title. Year two, there are questions of leadership, assistant coaches going after Cutler, offense takes a step back, their defense goes to complete $h!t and he's fired and gone. Now, they're going to get a defensive-minded coach and start the cycle all over again?! We shall see. The Niners don't need to be in the cycle; they need to find a great HC, not a great coordinator to 'fix' one side of the ball.

John Harbaugh was a Special Teams coach before being named HC. Mike Tomlin was a Defensive Backs coach before being named HC. They both have Super Bowl rings and weren't even coordinators but they are great leaders for their teams and everything else falls into place.

So, the question is not which HC candidate can coach up the offense necessarily, but which HC candidate can be a great leader for this team? It's important that they can be respected and have their scheme/ideas 'bought into' by their coaching staff, FO, players and media. Fangio has already proven that over some of these other 'unknowns' thus making him a strong candidate for HC and would be among the best, if not the best, options out there in this search. It's important that he does find a good OC that can work with and develop the Niners personnel but it's most important that he has all the other qualities noted above and performs those duties well first.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
              Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                I didn't really think he was any different. Offensive system is a TON better. He still had more TO's than TD's. His % went way up because his YPA is scary low.

I'm not saying Rex Ryan is an elite head coach but we all love Harbaugh for taking Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick to Conference Championship games. Rex Ryan took Mark Sanchez to two Conference Championship games, as well.
                Ryan built a good running game and defense and dragged Sanchez to those championship games. We have a good defense. We need offense. Pass.

Comment

Ryan built a good running game and defense and dragged Sanchez to those championship games. We have a good defense. We need offense. Pass.
                  Sound familiar???

It's not Rex Ryan's sole-responsibility to provide a high-quality offensive strategy. That would be the new OC.

Comment

• At this point, i'd be happy with Bowles, Austin, Quinn, Ryan, and Fangio. The defensive guys definitely seem to be the strength of this HC class.

I'd love an offensive guru who can develop QB's....easier said than done, though.

Potential OC's i'd like are Trestman and Chudzinski.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/s...66300253593600

Heard Vic Fangio's interview with the 49ers, who already know him quite well, lasted in excess of 6hrs and was very impressive. Interesting
                    Fangio was probably the best coach on our staff so it makes sense. Also, it'd probably be the first time since the SB that i watch a full press conference by the HC.
                    Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 01-02-2015, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• I'd be cool with Fangio as HC. players trust him and I'm sure the Gm does etc So why not give him a shot .

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                        Sound familiar???

It's not Rex Ryan's sole-responsibility to provide a high-quality offensive strategy. That would be the new OC.
                        No, not really. We didn't drag Alex or Colin to title games. They put in their fair share of the work.

It's the head coach's responsibility to make sure the offense is working. Doesn't matter if offense isn't his background or not. You are responsible for the staff you hire. Rex failed at that miserably. Especially with Brian Scottenheimer who made Sanchez look like a pile of ****.

Comment

No, not really. We didn't drag Alex or Colin to title games. They put in their fair share of the work.
                          Hahahahaha

No need to rehash the Alex argument. But that wasn't a common opinion.

Comment

• I would be more than ok with the hiring of Fangio. Players have all given high praises for him. Tomsula should be promoted to DC. Hire say Marc Trestman or another familiar name to help run the WC offense.

The offense needs more help than anything. Injuries killed this team. Bottom line. Decisions need to be made on who stays/goes. Brooks...Boone...Iupati...Crabtree...heck even VD, which I would hope for SF they would entertain an offer in the region of 3rd round pick for.

We don't need Josh Mcdaniels or Rex Ryan lol.

Comment

• I agree with Chapo123 .. Just hire in house promote Fangio and Tomsula to there respective spots.

Comment

• Agreed also & then go out & get the best OC available to develop Kap - maybe bring Norv back?

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information