Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would not be happy if they signed TJ. It would be very Redskiny of them to over-pay (he is looking for 4yr $40mil) for a 33 year old who has never been a #1. He doesnt have great speed and could be easily taken out of the game by opposing DCs. For starters TJ (92 rec 904 yards 4TDS) is not much of an upgrade over Bruce (61 835 7TDS) I could see over paying Gross but not TJ. I want to see what Hill and Morgan can do. I would not be opposed to Devery Henderson whose speed could make him a nice slot option if the price is right.

Im also a fan of getting OJ Atogwe that would be my #1 guy!

Comment

• Bryant Johnson did start to come on a little later in the season when he was finally healthy. I'm not opposed to bringing him back for another year for similar money, but he definitely didn't earn a number 1 WR multi-year contract for big money.

TJ is a possession WR and had many of his catches on short routes. Also, he wouldn't get as much single coverage because we don;t have anyone to draw doubles like Chad did. Ocho Cinco had a horrible year, but was constantly double covered, leaving TJ to run slants and curl routes. Opposing defenses would use the "bend but not break" philosophy against the Bengals to great success, covering Chad deep and allowing TJ to his short yardage catches. Looking at the Bengals record, that philosophy paid off.

As I've previously stated, we already have a 3rd Down/possession WR in Bruce and we have a "poor man's" TJ on the roster already with Battle. TJ has talent but is NOT a good fit for this Niners team and their future, nor is he worth the money he'll demand in FA.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
      Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by FG4prez View Post
        i would love to see atogwe signed.
        I believe FS should definitely be where the Niners go in FA. They would likely have to overpay for a Tackle, but getting a lesser coveted one for depth would be a great idea (assuming they Draft an OT in the 1st or 2nd Round). Adding a proven pass rusher through FA would be better than spending a high pick on an unproven guy.

I would love to see Suggs or Peppers added as well, but not both.

Btw, isn't Atogwe a Restricted Free Agent?
        Because people feel that this team is poised for a playoff run with a couple more pieces.

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

• I don't want TJ, he'll want too much money. Atogwe would be an upgrade but he'll be 28 when the season starts, so I would still like to see someone be drafted to be groomed at FS, unless they plan on making Dashon the FS of the future.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
            ... so I would still like to see someone be drafted to be groomed at FS, unless they plan on making Dashon the FS of the future.
            That was the "plan" last year, but it didn't happen. Our defense suffered because of it. Hopefully Dashon will be healthy this year, but we at least need a more viable option than Roman.

Comment

• January 28th, 2008

Alabama's Rashad Johnson is considered to be one of the Top 2-3 safeties in this draft and will likely be, at worst, a second round pick. However, I feel some lucky team might be able to get a similar player at a much better value in the later rounds with Trimane Goddard of North Carolina.

A three-year starter for the Tar Heels, Goddard doesn't have elite size (5-11, 195) or speed (4.55) but similar measurables haven't stopped Rashad Johnson from emerging as a Day One pick. Goddard, like Johnson, is a playmaker in the secondary and as a senior he intercepted 7 passes, returning them for a total of 156 yards (22.3 avg). For his efforts the Associated Press named him a Second Team All-American in 2008. Goddard has battled some injuries during his career so durability is a concern but he is a mature young man and a leader who will be an asset to any team that brings him into the fold.

Even though he was snubbed by the Combine I firmly believe Goddard is a draftable player and he could wind up being a steal for someone in the fifth or sixth round. Remember, Chris Horton was a seventh round pick of the Washington Redskins last year and after starting ten games as a rookie many felt he was deserving of Pro Bowl honors. I'm not saying Goddard is going to be that type of player but it just goes to show you don't have to be an early round pick to find success in the NFL. I think Goddard has the ability to defy the odds and he is one of the most underrated players in this draft.
              Scott's latest blog entry. Something to consider should we choose to go elsewhere with our second rounder? (bearing in mind no safety in the draft is worth no.10)

Comment

• As of right now before FA I think the guy we should get it Raji.
                Originally posted by 49erNation85
                I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                  As of right now before FA I think the guy we should get it Raji.
                  I dont see another guy they could get to play nose tackle. I know Tank Johnson is a UFA and he played nose for the Cowboys this past year but I dont think that would be a better option than Raji.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Apparently Mike Furrey is getting released
                    http://www.freep.com/article/2009012...047/1049/rss14
                    What about signing him?

Comment

• I'm sorry, If we don't go 1st round O-line, I'll be upset. After that, I'm in the air about DE or S and leaning towards S.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Raji or the best OT available (hopefully Oher) has to be priority at this point. I don't see any FA Nose Tackles of interest, unless somehow Haynesworth doesn't work out a deal with the Titans.

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
                          Apparently Mike Furrey is getting released
                          http://www.freep.com/article/2009012...047/1049/rss14
                          What about signing him?

NO

If we could get Tank I would be more than ok with that.
                          Originally posted by 49erNation85
                          I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Here is our new OC

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/28/49er...e-coordinator/

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• He was the Jets RB coach the past few years with Thomas Jones and Leon Washington so that bodes well i guess. But he definitely wasn't my top choice. I would have preferred Jagodinski personally.

I wonder who we will bring in as our QB coach? That's very important because he could potentially be Raye's successor.

Comment

• He was with Norv Turner at Oakland and he has experience in the Coryell digit system. So I guess this brings some consistency from the past few years.

Also we can probably say that he isn't going to be a head coach anytime soon bc he is not what you would call a big name.

He just isn't an exciting hire.

Hopefully our QB coach is going to be someone good.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information