Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't feel like quoting a bunch of posts.......

49ers are probably going to get a 5th and 6th according to Maiocco.
    http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2233666

Have no problem with Tony Richardson as FB. I would prefer Weaver or Norris but Richardson makes sense with Raye as the OC. Not realloy worried about his age. Look at Lorenzo Neal. Plus with many teams going away from traditional fullbacks SF should be able to pluck a solid FB, that fits the system, from free agency if Richardson calls it quits after this season.

Highest I would take a running back is third. I think SF has greater needs and looking at the core of backs, around the league, a lot of them are later round picks. I would like SF to get a Sproles/Bradshaw type back. Never hurts to add more speed to this offense but not sure that is the direction they are going.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
      49ers are probably going to get a 5th and 6th according to Maiocco.
      At least they don't have to give a 5th to the Bears this year.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
      Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
        At least they don't have to give a 5th to the Bears this year.
        By mentioning that, you have committed tampering.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
          Ah great way to go Irishman.
          Last edited by Menardo75; 02-04-2009, 01:51 PM.
          Originally posted by 49erNation85
          I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
            No way. Not a chance. Screw the Bears for being so "tamper-mental."

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

• what about signing Julius Peppers? I know that he wants to play in a 3-4, so why don't we give him a try? There can never be too many pass rushers on a team. And i don't care if he is turning 29, he is a FREAK, he will probably be good for at least six more years.

Also, with Raji...I really like him, but does he truly possess 3-4 NT skills? and is 10 too high to draft a NT? Wilfork was drafted at 21, and he is one of the top NTs in the league. This will also be 2 DTs taken in the first round the last 2 years, which does not bode well for the fans anyways. Maybe we can trade down a few???
              Last edited by edgrenade; 02-04-2009, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• Balmer is more of a 3-4 DE so he can play next to Raji. As for Peppers, of course Id love to have him but so would 31 other teams. I would like to see the Niners make a run at OJ, Weaver and Carey.

I think trading down could be an option if Crabs or Sanchez is there. But I only like the trade down IF Raji is gone. He will not get past Denver at #12 no way no how.

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
                  what about signing Julius Peppers?
                  He's going to want to be the highest paid player in the league. Also, as a full time 4-3 DE, can he even cover people in the passing game?

Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
                  Also, with Raji...I really like him, but does he truly possess 3-4 NT skills? and is 10 too high to draft a NT? Wilfork was drafted at 21, and he is one of the top NTs in the league. This will also be 2 DTs taken in the first round the last 2 years, which does not bode well for the fans anyways. Maybe we can trade down a few???
                  Is he a true 3-4 NT? I would say he's built for it and he seemed fine all week at the Senior Bowl. Two DTs in two years isn't a big deal to me. How would that not bode well for the fans? Also, trading down is hard to do nowadays, with such a high pick. Not many teams want to give up draft picks to move up only to pay someone a lot of money.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• [QUOTE=Brent;1475057]He's going to want to be the highest paid player in the league. Also, as a full time 4-3 DE, can he even cover people in the passing game?[QUOTE]

Wasn't Manny a 4-3 end in college before we turned him into a cover linebacker? I think if you're athletic enough, and have fluid hips, you can be taught the technique of covering tight ends and runningbacks. Especially since the most athletic tight end he'll see is in practice.
                    Originally posted by Babylon
                    It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• I would rather spend the money on Carey and/ or Weaver.
                      Originally posted by 49erNation85
                      I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• As an elephant lb (which he would be), Peppers wouldn't really have to do much more than cover flats and drop on the occasional play.

Peppers would be as close to a Charles Haley as we could get, Peppers already has more int's in one year than Haley had in his career.

But I am not a huge fan of making him the highest paid defensive player, which is probably the contract he will get.

Comment

• [QUOTE=king2am;1475197][QUOTE=Brent;1475057]He's going to want to be the highest paid player in the league. Also, as a full time 4-3 DE, can he even cover people in the passing game?

Wasn't Manny a 4-3 end in college before we turned him into a cover linebacker? I think if you're athletic enough, and have fluid hips, you can be taught the technique of covering tight ends and runningbacks. Especially since the most athletic tight end he'll see is in practice.
                          Well he was meant to be 3-4 LB from the start. Not having near the bulk as his counterpart, Manny Lawson. He's athletic enough to be anywhere on the field

Comment

• A few things that stood out from Kevin Lynch's blog:
                            http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=35471
                            he told Matt Barrows, getting another running back to help Gore. McCloughan is enamored with big backs, which is something he had in previous stops in Green Bay with Dorsey Levens and in Seattle with Shaun Alexander. The 49ers considered four running backs in the sixth round of the 2007 draft, but McCloughan insisted on Thomas Clayton because he was the only one over 220 pounds. McCloughan said on radio he would like to have a bigger, younger, "down hill" runner to back up Gore.
                            Barrows brought up Andre Brown and Rasheed Jennings as two possible targets. Checking free agency not many guys that fit that profile and if they do they got issues i.e Ricky Williams and LaMont Jordan. He doesn't fit under the profile but I wouldn't mind bringing Cal boy J.J. Arrington home. He could fill the KR role for the 49ers and be a change of pace back for Gore.

McCloughan also said the team had money which means they will likely make one sizeable signing in free agency. So who could that be? And who should the 49ers make a run at first? Nnamdi Asomugha is an intriguing name; his signing could prompt Walt Harris or even Nate Clements to move to free safety. Also, McCloughan believes drafting a shut down corner is a complete crap shoot, and corners will be at an even higher premium with the NFL's increased reliance on the pass. Is he the guy?
                            Thoughts? We know Namdi is looking for more money then Clements. That would be one highly paid secondary. I am surprised to see Namdi name linked to SF, since they have Clements.

Also Scott's new mock is out:
                            http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php
                            10. Mark Sanchez
                            I expect this board to be in full riot mode if this is still the projected pick by mid-March.
                            43. Phil Loadholt, OT
                            Also damn Green Bay for switching to a 3-4. More comp. for my bandwagon pick of Brown.
                            Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?; 02-05-2009, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• Harris could move to secondary for a year or so and be effective, but we would need an upgrade next year. No way I want Clements to move to FS, as he is paid WAAAAYYY too much to go to lesser roll, and is a great, physical corner, which Namdi would compliment with his quicker skill set.

Though I love Peppers, if he and Namdi are available for around the same money, Namdi makes far more sense for the Niners.

If Scotty Mac took Clayton because he was a bigger back, then he needs a chance. I think they will look to the Draft for an ideal big back, and if they don;t come away with one, Clayton will be the backup plan.

Comment

• I wouldn't hesitate one bit to make Nnamdi the highest paid CB in the league. He's the definition of shutdown. I would be giddy as hell if that happened.
                                The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information