This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
    I don't think we have a shot at Suggs. They'll tag Suggs, let Lewis do whatever and either re-sign Suggs or trade him.

As for Peppers and Gross, I don't have an interest in Peppers. He's a 4-3 DE and I don't have confidence in his ability to pass cover nor do I think it would be wise to pay him to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL at his age. Carolina will probably tag Gross and let Peppers go.
    I can not imagine Carolina letting Peppers just walk. The value he can bring back in a trade is too much to pass up.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
      I can not imagine Carolina letting Peppers just walk. The value he can bring back in a trade is too much to pass up.
      Yeah, I didnt think to say that they could re-sign Gross, tag Peppers and just trade him to the highest bidder.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
        I would love Huff, but I doubt we go after him after signing Williams.
        I wouldn't be surprised. The 49ers have been, in the past, quick to sign or try to sign players they have had past interest in the draft i.e. Darnell Bing, Jimmy Williams, and Kareem Brown.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised. The 49ers have been, in the past, quick to sign or try to sign players they have had past interest in the draft i.e. Darnell Bing, Jimmy Williams, and Kareem Brown.
          They did have him behind Vernon on their big board when they were drafting, so it's a possibility. It seems to be that everyone feels he was improperly used in Oakland but how much that has hurt his development/confidence is beyond me.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Here's my big board for this team:

1 - Matt Stafford
            2 - Eugene Monroe
            3 - Aaron Curry
            4 - Andre Smith
            5 - Michael Crabtree
            6 - BJ Raji
            7 - Brian Orakpo
            8 - Michael Oher
            9 - Everettte Brown
            10 - Mark Sanchez

I think the team would be happy to get any one of those guys...Sanchez being a sort of last option at #10 if all the other guys are gone, but not a bad one. Any one of those guys other than the QBs and Crabtree would either help the team get bigger/better in the trenches or improve the pass rush which are continuing needs for this team.

Free agency targets:
            1. OJ Atogwe - I have a feeling he'll be an early target for us. I'd like to give Goldson and Smith an opportunity to duke it out but when a ballhawk like this is available, and we have the money, it's hard to pass. Smith can remain at corner and Goldson can be a platoon guy.

2. Vernon Carey - We'll give it a shot, but the money may be out of our desired range. Someone may ask him to play left tackle and pay him accordingly.

3. A fullback. I'm having a hard time deciding whether the team should go with an older, pure power blocking FB (Neal, Richardson) or a younger guy who can also tote the ball (Weaver). Weaver would be a good guy to give a few carries...Rathman may help him actually. That'd be a fine signing. It killed me when he burned us for two huge TDs last year.

4. Mark Tauscher - Not the best long term option at RT, but a good enough one to play well for a couple years until we can groom another solution. This would free us up to take Raji or a pass rusher in the early 1st.

I think that's about it for realistic, good targets for me. The team doesn't need to do a ton in FA. Just a few smart moves here and there and then get whatever they still need in the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by thediggler3030 View Post
              I disagree. According to Yahoo.com, O'Sullivan was sacked 32 times in 9 games. In the 8 games Hill started, he was sacked 21 times. Not amazing, but Hill also showed his ability to deal with those sacks. Hill only lost 2 fumbles, vs. O'Sullivan's 6.

Projected over a full season we would allow 42 sacks with Hill starting. That would rank us still 9th worst in the league. Keep in mind this is with Mike Martz calling the plays and a line that never really had time to gell with JTO playing.

But we also only recorded 30 sacks while on defense, and have done little to improve that. Haralson cannot be our best passrusher forever.

I think given time with a real QB and OC, our line could easily play better on its own. Watkins played well in the Senior Bowl and has experience at RT. Snyder is good enough to start and Simms can still act as an adequate back up. If not, I would still have confidence playing a third round 2-year starter from the SEC Offensive Tackle on the right side.

That being said, I would not be opposed to switching the OLB and the RT in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I just think we have neglected out passrush in both drafts and FA year in and year out. Other than Lawson what have we really invested there? Banta-Cain and a few middle rounders? COME ON!
              Watch the Miami game and tell me we don't need a top RT.
              Originally posted by 49erNation85
              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Dare I ask?
                The National Football Post's Mike Lombardi believes that it's only become a matter time of before Terrell Owens is an ex-Cowboy.
                I know McCloughan shot down Nolan when he brought up the idea of going after TO. I wonder if Singletary would take the chance? It is pretty tempting.

Comment

Dare I ask?

I know McCloughan shot down Nolan when he brought up the idea of going after TO. I wonder if Singletary would take the chance? It is pretty tempting.
                  I would rather start a basket of dog **** at WR.

Comment

• The bridge is burned. TO needs to ride off into the sunset and do reality TV programs for the next 10 years.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Considering the fact that T.O. is my favorite player and despite his age is still an elite WR in the league, I would love to have T.O. back in a 49ers uniform but it's not going to happen for three reasons -

1) We're in no way, shape or form a SB contender so why would any veteran player want to come here, especially T.O.???

2) With Garcia looking more and more likely to not re-sign with TB, there's a chance that we may go after him and if we sign him, I highly doubt that we'll be seeing a Garcia-T.O. reunion evn though it would be funny as hell.

T.O. - hey rat, throw me the ball
                      Garcia - fine, here ya go jackass

LOL.

3) None of the above matters because DAL isnt releasing or trading him because doing so would cause an $8m cap hit and cosidering the fact that Jerry Jones wants to sign Ware to a blockbuster long term deal, taking an $8m cap hit isnt going to help matters. Besides, subtract T.O. and aside from Witten, the Cowboys have no threats in the passing game. Roy Williams sucked plain and simple and if he cant kick ass with T.O. opposite him and Witten at TE, how can anyone expect him to do a damn thing without T.O. opposite him.

Plus, T.O. isnt the only problem. There are other players there that are the problem and Romo is one of them. Unlike T.O., Romo doesnt have half the work ethic that T.O. has and after his trip with Jessica Simpson, how anyone can complain about T.O. and NOT Romo is beyond me.

Bottom line is that T.O. isnt going anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                        Considering the fact that T.O. is my favorite player and despite his age is still an elite WR in the league, I would love to have T.O. back in a 49ers uniform but it's not going to happen for three reasons -

1) We're in no way, shape or form a SB contender so why would any veteran player want to come here, especially T.O.???

2) With Garcia looking more and more likely to not re-sign with TB, there's a chance that we may go after him and if we sign him, I highly doubt that we'll be seeing a Garcia-T.O. reunion evn though it would be funny as hell.

T.O. - hey rat, throw me the ball
                        Garcia - fine, here ya go jackass

LOL.

3) None of the above matters because DAL isnt releasing or trading him because doing so would cause an $8m cap hit and cosidering the fact that Jerry Jones wants to sign Ware to a blockbuster long term deal, taking an $8m cap hit isnt going to help matters. Besides, subtract T.O. and aside from Witten, the Cowboys have no threats in the passing game. Roy Williams sucked plain and simple and if he cant kick ass with T.O. opposite him and Witten at TE, how can anyone expect him to do a damn thing without T.O. opposite him.

Plus, T.O. isnt the only problem. There are other players there that are the problem and Romo is one of them. Unlike T.O., Romo doesnt have half the work ethic that T.O. has and after his trip with Jessica Simpson, how anyone can complain about T.O. and NOT Romo is beyond me.

Bottom line is that T.O. isnt going anywhere.
                        Since when are we looking to bring in Garcia?

Comment

Since when are we looking to bring in Garcia?
                          Yeah, why would we do that? We have Hill and Smith and Sanchez.
                          The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
                            Yeah, why would we do that? We have Hill and Smith
                            Fixed it for you ;)

Comment

Fixed it for you ;)
                              Umm, thanks? You cut my joke off at its balls.
                              The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
                                Umm, thanks? You cut my joke off at its balls.
                                I'm sorry it's a sensitive subject.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information