X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
    http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/2/1...nd-wants-draft

Good read on the off-season needs. I can't say I don't agree with the idea of taking Everette Brown or Orakpo at 10.
    Yeah I wouldn't mind taking them either. The more I think about it I just want to go defense with the first pick. I think we could address all of the offensive needs in the second and third rounds.

Defensive possibilities:
    1.Jenkins
    2.Raji
    3.Orakpo
    4. Brown

Offensive possibilities:
    1. Oher
    2. Smith
    3. Maclin
    4. Sanchez

I would be split deciding between the fourth guy on the defensive list (Brown) vs. the first guy on the offensive list (Oher), just because I think we could get a great RT later and I don't want to pay our RT top ten money.

One solution would be to draft an OT to play RT for a year and then move him over to LT and put Staley back on the right side. But seems like a lot of maneuvering just to sort out payments of different positions.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
      I've been pissed and disappointed at times and I hope that you're joking but if not, I have never been close to throwing up or passing out over what my 49ers do. At least we still have Sopo and Lee from that draft which is better than nothing.
      HAHA. I wasn't throwing up and passing out from the draft. It was from a massive amount of 49er-inspired Red&Gold shots (Johnny Walker Red and Goldschlager in a double-shot glass) and a ton of beer. We do a shot to open the draft, a shot when the 9ers get "on the clock" and a celebratory shot after the pick along with beers in between as the draft is moving forward. Well, we traded down twice so we had extra shots for "on the clock" picks and a bunch of beers waiting for our pick and by the time we took Woods, I was done.
      The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• ^^^^^

Jeez, drink much??? LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by thediggler3030 View Post
          One solution would be to draft an OT to play RT for a year and then move him over to LT and put Staley back on the right side. But seems like a lot of maneuvering just to sort out payments of different positions.
          I agree that the only way it would make sense "traditionally" (I say that because who knows if the 49ers want to buck the trend) would be for them to move the Tackle drafted at #10 to the LEFT side and move Staley back to the right. "Traditionally" LT's not only make more money but have a much higher draft value.

That being said, one of the major problems the 49ers have had along the offensive line as a whole has been a terrible lack of continuity. Moving the players around like that could potentially do more harm than good.

When you look at the line from left to right, you can finally see growth and I'm certain that continuity has played a major roll in that.

Joe Staley. Has started 16 games at LT.
          David Baas. Has started 11 games at LG.
          Chilo Rachal. Has stated 6 games at RG.

Eric Heitman has been at the Center position the entire time the aforementioned players have been in the NFL.

The 49ers obviously need a RT. Whatever they do, they need to set this unit. Because, I feel the talent is definitely there. They just need to play alongside each other in order to grow and begin to dominate as a unit, not just pieces.

Comment

• Originally posted by chapo123 View Post
            coming from the guy who thinks alex will be sf answer to all
            Reading comp is key you should learn. Really nice article.
            Last edited by Menardo75; 02-11-2009, 11:30 PM.
            Originally posted by 49erNation85
            I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
              49er-inspired Red&Gold shots (Johnny Walker Red and Goldschlager in a double-shot glass)
              Holy **** you are on to something here. I am keeping that one in mind next season.

Anyway, I hope it's Brown or Orakpo in round one. BPA NT/FS/RT for the next three rounds after that I dont care.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• For Borat, that is intense. Red and Gold Shots sound like a doozy, plus as you mentioned we were on the clock quite often before the pick that draft, and god do those 1st rounds take forever, Goddell did some good shortening the time.
                Secondly moving Staley back to RT works on paper and all that, but I think it would cause more harm to our line than good. I think a NT early would be a great idea, and a RT in the second. Possible one of the top OT falls through the first, or maybe trade back up to grab one later in the first.
                I also wanted Wilfork, more so knowing that Rashaun was horrible. Coming out he looked like he could solidify WR for us, sadness
                “Every play, every down, every series, every meeting — like it’s your last.” Jerry Kramer

Comment

Holy **** you are on to something here. I am keeping that one in mind next season.
                  Careful my friend. But you must do what you must do for your team.

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                  Anyway, I hope it's Brown or Orakpo in round one. BPA NT/FS/RT for the next three rounds after that I dont care.
                  I'm firmly in the Orakpo camp if we don't go OT. I need to see more from Brown although I've been seeing some DeMarcus Ware comps and that makes me wet in pants.
                  The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
                    I'm firmly in the Orakpo camp if we don't go OT. I need to see more from Brown although I've been seeing some DeMarcus Ware comps and that makes me wet in pants.
                    What I keep reading is Orakpo:Brown::Merriman:Ware, which interests me.

Comment

What I keep reading is Orakpo:Brown::Merriman:Ware, which interests me.
                      I would say those are very favorable comparisons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                        I would say those are very favorable comparisons.
                        Maybe but they're being seen as better prospects now, than those two were when they were drafted in 2005. Ware and Merriman were 11 and 12, respectively. We're talking about these two going before pick 10.

Comment

• If either of these two prospects turn out to be like Ware or Merriman, minus the cheating we could use either of the two
                          “Every play, every down, every series, every meeting — like it’s your last.” Jerry Kramer

Comment

Maybe but they're being seen as better prospects now, than those two were when they were drafted in 2005. Ware and Merriman were 11 and 12, respectively. We're talking about these two going before pick 10.
                            Lets hope they are that good. Or atleast one of them.

Comment

• Hopefully the one wearing Red and Gold

Comment

• Originally posted by Fogcity_faithful View Post
                                Hopefully the one wearing Red and Gold
                                That's what I was getting at haha. My worry is that Orakpo will test really well and shoot into the top five, and that the Packers take Everette Brown.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information