This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
    From day one, Lawson has been misused badly just like Vernon Davis. It's no coicidence that both of our first rounders from 2006 have been misused by the coaching staff. How can Lawson improve his pass rushing skills when he's always in coverage???

Sorry, but I think its on the coaching staff than it is Lawson.
    The reason why he doesn't rush the passer is because he has a speed rush and that's it. To his credit and ours he is actually a very good linebacker. He is very solid against the run and very good in coverage.
    Originally posted by 49erNation85
    I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75
      The reason why he doesn't rush the passer is because he has a speed rush and that's it. To his credit and ours he is actually a very good linebacker. He is very solid against the run and very good in coverage.
      I understand what you and Borat are saying but how can Lawson improve his pass rushing ability if he's always in coverage? You both say he only has a speed rush but seriously, how else is he going to expand his move set if he's always in coverage? He's not going to improve pass rushing against our OL in practice and whatnot. I think that Lawson can still be a premier pass rusher but the coaching staff needs to blitz and rush him more than they do. Maybe, if they did that, he wouldnt just be a speed rusher.

Comment

How can Lawson improve his pass rushing skills when he's always in coverage???

Sorry, but I think its on the coaching staff than it is Lawson.
        He can improve by working on it in practice and the off-season, just like every other player who wants to get better.

Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        I think that Lawson can still be a premier pass rusher but the coaching staff needs to blitz and rush him more than they do. Maybe, if they did that, he wouldnt just be a speed rusher.
        They used to blitz him and he didn't do well, he's barely 240lbs and doesn't have any moves. Why keep sending a guy on the blitz if he's not getting results? Why not play to his strengths (coverage and run stop)?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Brown is a dominating force, Orakpo will be gone before we pick. I doubt there is no OT in the 2nd. Loadholt should be there.
          Also a Manny fan, not sure if he is the pass rusher we thought he was, correction nolan thought. Nolan wanted him to be Suggs and he isnt. Because we have manny we dont pass on either of those two, unless it is for a NT
          “Every play, every down, every series, every meeting — like it’s your last.” Jerry Kramer

Comment

• Yep. I still have hopes for Manny to become more dominant, but there is no way in hell that I'd pass on Brown/Orakpo just because we have Manny. That would be a big mistake. I'd only pass on Brown/Orakpo for one of the premier OTs and lately I've been leaning toward the OLB/passrusher anyway.
            The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
              Yep. I still have hopes for Manny to become more dominant, but there is no way in hell that I'd pass on Brown/Orakpo just because we have Manny. That would be a big mistake. I'd only pass on Brown/Orakpo for one of the premier OTs and lately I've been leaning toward the OLB/passrusher anyway.
              I have a couple Niners games on my computer from this past season and watching Tony Romo torch us without even a hair on his head being touched is sickening. Nothing would have made my day than seeing him get sacked a couple times because it would have rattled his cage quite a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                Reading comp is key you should learn. Really nice article.
                wow..........

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                  I have a couple Niners games on my computer from this past season and watching Tony Romo torch us without even a hair on his head being touched is sickening. Nothing would have made my day than seeing him get sacked a couple times because it would have rattled his cage quite a bit.
                  he wasn't the only qb that was killing it, it seemed every team that was 3rd and long always seemed to execute their plays when needed.
                  not to ruin anyones parade but don't fsu not do well in the nfl? i was reading some article on si.com that was blasting de's from there.
                  i like jenkins @ 10. solves finding another corner next season or replacement for harris.
                  if carolina proposed j.peppers...anyone take him @ 10?

Comment

• CRAP!!!

According to PFT, OLB Roderick Green has been arrested on several counts. Well, it looks like he wont be coming back. :(

Damn moron!!!

Comment

CRAP!!!

According to PFT, OLB Roderick Green has been arrested on several counts. Well, it looks like he wont be coming back. :(

Damn moron!!!
                      He's been cut twice in two years and last year only got 3.5 sacks, I dont think they really planned on bringing him back.

Comment

• i think we will survive without him. he had many pressures last year, but wasnt a disruptive force.
                        “Every play, every down, every series, every meeting — like it’s your last.” Jerry Kramer

Comment

• I really hope we go and grab Terrell Suggs in FA so we can cross off the need to spend a top 10 pick on an OLB.

If we can grab Suggs, and Loadholt in the 2nd - our needs become a FS (no one worth taking at pick 10) and QB.

Sanchez then makes the most sense.

Ive read about 50 pages on various forums about Sanzchez and almost no niner fans want Sanchez.

I can not understand the logic behind this.

The arguments against Sanchez appear to be:
                          1. Alex Smith is our QB of the Future.
                          2. Alex Smith is a bust and the niners should never invest another top pick in a QB in case they make a mistake again
                          3. Shaun Hill deserves to start in 09
                          4. We have too many needs and other players will make an impact and help the niners win NOW.

The rebuttals to the above are:

1. Maybe, probably not based on what we have seen in the 3 seasons so far. You can't not take a QB simply because Alex Smith is on the roster.

2. SD is the best example of this. Fact is QB is the most important position in the game. You need to keep going to the well until you find the right one. In addition the niners wont be paying 2 QBs on the roster top 10 money. Alex will need to take a serious pay cut to stay on the team.

3. Agreed. Sanchez should sit as long as possible behind Hill. I hope Sanchez doesnt even need to take a snap all year, but the fact remains in 2010 or 2011 we will be looking for a new starting QB and wouldn't it be nice to have the guy who could have gone #1 in 2010 on your bench, with a year in the NFL and in the offensive system under his belt. Rather than taking a rookie QB in 2010 or 2011 and NEEDING that player to start right away.

In my opinion if you want a young QB to succeed in the NFL, he has a much better chance to do so if he has had a year on the bench before being called into action. You need to think about taking a QB a year or 2 before you actually NEED them to have the best liklihood of success.

4. See 3 above. If we can get an OLB in FA and a OT in round 2. We can make due with Franklin (who came on towards the end of the year) at NT and FS (Reggie Smith / Goldson / Roman / inexpensive FA).

We can't fill all the holes this year.

For the reasons above, I do not believe the 49ers can pass up the opporunity to take a franchise QB at pick 10 if Sanchez is still sitting there. It would be irresponsible to do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by GMoney View Post

We can't fill all the holes this year.

For the reasons above, I do not believe the 49ers can pass up the opporunity to take a franchise QB at pick 10 if Sanchez is still sitting there. It would be irresponsible to do so.
                            You are right. It's unlikely that we are able to fill every single hole.

So with that in mind, why in the world would you want to spend a pick on a player that will not contribute this year, or next year? What's the difference between Sanchez, whom you'd like to groom for two or three years, and developmental guy that you can get in the later rounds? You're going to sit them both for the same amount of time, but you're going to pay one of them significantly less money.

Not to mention that there will be an Everette Brown, or B.J Raji staring you in the face at #10, guys that could come in and start right away at positions of need. And I am a HUGE fan of getting Loadholt in the second. But as someone already pointed out, banking on someone lasting till your second pick is a calculated risk. In your scenario it's very possible that we draft Sanchez and MISS Loadholt in the second. Now we have passed on an elite defensive talent, and missed our RT option in the second round. I'm perfectly fine with taking the risk on missing Loadholt in the second, but if i'm doing that i'm going to make damn sure that I get a contributor in the first round. And that is NOT Sanchez.

Not to mention, that all Shaun Hill has done is win. Why slap him in the face with a first round QB? It's much more practical to grab someone late, and put playmakers on our roster that are going to start day one.

*** Side note, this is Orakpo's highlight vid off of youtube. And after watching it, i'm convinced Everette Brown is THE guy we want if we go the passrusher route. I hope Orakpo goes early. If you watch this, he is a one move guy. Brown is definitely more polished in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZTelDHwUwY
                            Originally posted by Babylon
                            It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                              He was using it on LTs and guards! He's nasty. He took over that Maryland game.
                              Yeah, he looks great and everything, but lets be honest. Most of those highlights were against teams from the ACC (or worse), which is not a very strong conference. I didnt watch all of the highlight reel, but has he faced any top/good/decent LT's?

Comment

• Shaun Hill is a big boy and has been around the league as a 3rd stringer. I don't think you are going to hurt his ego too easily.

The reason you take Sanchez now is because he can be a FRANCHISE QB. Is a guy we take in the 4th or 5th (Harrell and the like) really ever going to be any better than Shaun Hill - NO, they won't so why bother.

Thats like saying we can fix our FS problems with a 7th rounder.

'Developmental Guys' are 'developmental' for a reason. You hope you can one day 'develop' them into some kind of contributor. You don't ever expect to base your franchise around these guys.

If you aren't taking a QB that can be an upgrade on Hill and Smith. Don't even waste your time taking one.

Question to those against choosing Sanchez: What is your QB solution for 2010 or 2011?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information