This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chapo123 View Post
    sam bradford, jevean snead, colt mccoy, tim heller, zac robinson, and juice williams will be there next season...how many teams are going to be looking next season?..i mean really
    I hope the last two are a joke

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
      i say wait to draft Tebow next year.....
      If I didnt know you were joking, I'd wish harm upon you haha.

Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
      Zac hasn't been that bad, he's played well the past couple years and who knows, he might end up being a wanted commodity after the '09 season. You can't assume anything with the draft any more.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
        what? any guy named juice has to be a badass

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
          If I didnt know you were joking, I'd wish harm upon you haha.

Zac hasn't been that bad, he's played well the past couple years and who knows, he might end up being a wanted commodity after the '09 season. You can't assume anything with the draft any more.
          zac is a lil skinny but he has good pocket pressense and moves around. he's got a good arm as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post

You talk about the core talent being older or gone or whatever but if we draft Sanchez, the same thing could happen because he's a rookie and its unlikely he's going to be Ryan or Flacco. Unlike them, he only had 16 starts and im sorry, no way in ******* hell am I going to draft a QB at #10 and pay him top money after just 16 starts especially when you considering the fact that USC is one of the best teams overall and has a damn good if not great coaching staff. All Snachez will do is sit on the bench for two years if not longer trying to figure out what he's supposed to be learning and by the time he knows what he should know and plays good, the core that you're talking about will be old or gone anyway so instead of wasting a draft pick on a QB who wouldnt be doing anything but keeping his ass warm by sitting on the bench, I start HILL who's only 29, improve the OL and get a ******* pass rushing OLB and see what happens.
            I talk about our core of players being 1 or 2 years older by the time Sanchez (possibly Stafford) could be ready to go. You state that you would want Hill to hold the fort or wait to see if Alex gets better in the next few years and if not then draft a REAL franchise QB. Well, that would make our core of players 4 or 5 years older, if you take into account that that QB would probably have to sit a year or 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by farfromforgotten
              I talk about our core of players being 1 or 2 years older by the time Sanchez (possibly Stafford) could be ready to go. You state that you would want Hill to hold the fort or wait to see if Alex gets better in the next few years and if not then draft a REAL franchise QB. Well, that would make our core of players 4 or 5 years older, if you take into account that that QB would probably have to sit a year or 2.
              Hill is only 29 and QB's can play well into their late 30's as long as their arm holds up. Unlike the majority of positions, a QB's legs and knees arent as important especially if he's a pocket passing QB like Hill is. Hill has already played good when given the chance to and in my opinion, should have been the starter in 2008 but Nolan and Martz conspired against him in favor of Sullivan. But thankfully, Nolan and Martz are gone with Sullivan and Martin to follow.

At the end of the 2007 season, I said that HILL was our best QB and over a year later, that STILL remains a fact. Hill as already showed that he can win games and be a very good QB where as a rookie like Sanchez is 50/50 at best and what happens if he FAILS??? What happens if he becomes Smith number 2??? No one is mentioning that at all. The risk and gamble is too high as is the amount of money that would be required to pay him at the number 10 spot. Considering the fact that we already have the number one overall drafted player from 2005 on the roster who plays QB, it makes no sense whatsoever to draft another QB four years later at the number 10 spot especially considering the fact that we would have had a better record and possibly be a playoff team if Hill started from week one as opposed to Sullivan.

Sanchez could turn out to be like Young or Leinart or Smith and im sorry, but its not worth it when you have a QB who's already won you games and can play good enough to continue helping you win games. Depending on what happens in FA, the number 10 spot should be a RT, pass rushing OLB or if he's still available, CB Malcolm Jenkins. And quite honestly, if Jenkins is gone by 10 which he most likely will be, we should trade down a few spots, still get the player at a position we need while paying him less money and gaining an extra draft pick.

Drafting Sanchez isnt going to help us and if anything, is only going to delay solving the problems we have. While QB may or may not be a problem, other positions like RT, FS and a pass rushing OLB are BIGGER problems than what our current problem is at QB which if Hill was younger we wouldnt be having this conversation.

I just hope Singletary doesnt make the same mistake in regards to Hill that Nolan and Martz made a year ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post

Sanchez is 50/50 at best and what happens if he FAILS??? What happens if he becomes Smith number 2??? No one is mentioning that at all. The risk and gamble is too high as is the amount of money that would be required to pay him at the number 10 spot. Considering the fact that we already have the number one overall drafted player from 2005 on the roster who plays QB, it makes no sense whatsoever to draft another QB four years later at the number 10 spot
                What happens if he succeeds? You could say that about ANY player coming out of the draft. A lot of people thought Matt Ryan would fail last year and he was a started for several years at BC.

Lets say that Mr. Alex Smith takes a pay cut to stay with the 49ers. Lets say that he still fails. When will it be ok for you if the 49ers take another chance at a QB in round 1? Maybe 5 years later? Maybe 10 years later? Maybe you'll just want to be bitter about it the rest of your life and hope we never select a QB in round 1 again?

I dont know. I'm already tired of it. It's been 4 years. Thats long enough for me. Alex Smith is broken. Its not all his fault. Its just the way it is.

I'm not 100% confident in Mark Sanchez at 10. It's just that I'm 0% confident in Alex Smith and 50% confident in Shaun Hill I guess you could say. I like that he played at USC. Sure he had a lot of talent around him, but he didnt play in one of those gimmick college offenses. I understand that people would like him to have more experience, but what would that exactly change in his situation? Do you all honestly believe that his numbers would change that much? He would still get the "well he played at USC, they have a lot of talent".

Lets say we have an early pick again next year. Lets say that Smith sucks and Hill is so-so. Will there be a QB in that class that you all will be 100% confident in? I mean, what does it take? A Peyton Manning type prospect only comes along every so often, and a lot people liked Ryan Leaf just as much (or more) that year.

Bradford? McCoy? Snead? They all will have just as many question marks.

Comment

• You don't always have to assume the negative of your options.

What if the 49ers draft Sanchez and then Hill and Smith both play lights-out when they have the opportunity?

Comment

• We can do the "what ifs" thing up until the draft starts. Alright.

We'll see what happens if Hill gets to start for a full year. You guys want to hold on to hope that Alex will turn his career around? I'm not gonna try and change your minds.

Comment

• Originally posted by farfromforgotten View Post
                      We can do the "what ifs" thing up until the draft starts. Alright.

We'll see what happens if Hill gets to start for a full year. You guys want to hold on to hope that Alex will turn his career around? I'm not gonna try and change your minds.

The point I was trying to make is that you are holding onto disbelief in Alex Smith just as vehemently as anyone is supporting him.

Both are possible. So to make a draft decision assuming one will happen isn't the most effective.

Comment

• [QUOTE=farfromforgotten;1493962]We can do the "what ifs" thing up until the draft starts. Alright.

We'll see what happens if Hill gets to start for a full year. You guys want to hold on to hope that Alex will turn his career around? I'm not gonna try and change your minds.[/QUOTe

exactly. this guy has great points.
                        alex has had 4 years to prove his worth of the #1 selection and not make people think of "tim couch" when he plays and talks. the excuses are the same since he got in the league, " oc changes, shoulder, this-that" honestly not that i hate smith its just simple...HOMEBOY BLOWS. hill went undrafted and has outperformed smith in all senses. why hasn't anyone brought up the fact he himself has gone thru the same oc's, same wr's, same bs nolan preached? hill has proved in 2 seasons he is underpaid and underated and has outplayed all other options that were on the roster.

Comment

• smith's main problem besides health was that he overthought every play. hill trusts the playcalling and his recievers way more than smith. however, this problem can be corrected in time. i want a full qb competition. this whole "hill may look like **** in practice but in games he looks better" stuff doesnt hold much to me. if smith cant beat hill out, then next year we take one of that monster qb class. i know you arent supposed to look at drafts that way, planning on next year and such, but i feel comfortable with all of those guys going back to school that that is the thing to do.

Comment

• Smith's biggest problem is his footwork and the resulting inaccuracy. If he ever gets that worked out, he could be good. Until then, he's garbage. I'm fine with Hill starting for the next year or two while they either fix Smith or find a youngster to groom. I like next year's QB options better in that scenario.
                            The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• I, personally like Shaun Hill. He obviously has some physical limitations in his game but has been able to win games with the team. With that said...

Shaun Hill has 7 wins in his last 10 starts.
                              Alex Smith has 7 wins in his last 12 starts prior to his shoulder injury.

If you consider overall talent on the team, the difference isn't anywhere near where many Alex Smith haters seem to place it.

Comment

• I just do not think Sanchez will be successful in the nfl. There is just nothing that really impresses me about him. Maybe I am wrong and I will look like an idiot next year but that is what I think.
                                CRANK THAT CRABTREE!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information