This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by king2am View Post
    Sorry for the lack of a link, and i'm not sure what some of your opinions are on John Clayton ( i'm mixed ), but I just wanted to throw that out there.
    Matt Maiocco claims to be responsible for the Jeff Garcia rumors...

Question: Just wondering if you could shed a little light on a "rumor" I heard. I hear that the 9ers are possibly intrested in pursuing Jeff Garcia should he decide not to return with the Bucs. I'm on something? or is there a shred of truth to this report?

My response: The roots of this "rumor" probably traces to the answer to No. 5.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...questions.html

Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
    Back on topic to our pick at number ten.

The more film I see of Orakpo the more I realy don't want him. I think really his best fit is as a 4-3 defensive end. He could play 3-4 OLB, but he really is not an impact pass rusher. He doesn't have a wide array of pass rush moves. The only one I have seen him use is a dip and rip move. He really wouldn't add anything that we don't already have.

B.J. is a guy I like the more I see of him. He actually has more pass rush moves than I saw from Orakpo. He really is a very solid ass rusher for a defensivetackle. He is very quick and stout at the point of attack, and does a great job of taking on blockers holding his ground and making plays. The only thing I saw that I really didn't like was he sometimes gets lot after he throws a move. By lost I mean he throws his move. Gets sloppy with his technique and misses.

If we take a pass rusher in the first round it should be Everette Brown. I think in the end he could overtake Orakpo. The thing Brian has going for him is that he will most likely put up insane numbers at the combine. Those will keep him in the top five range. Brown has a very wide range of pass rush moves, and could be the impact guy we are looking for. He also is not a bad run defender as well.
    I completely agree about Orakpo being a much better fit as 4-3 DE and Everette Brown as 3-4 OLB. Also that Raji is a stud and I would LOVE him to be the pick at #10.

Another 3-4 OLB prospect that I've been down on is Aaron Maybin. If he shows up at the Combine 250+ and tests well, he might spark my interest at #10. If he still weighs 236 or in the low 240's color me not interested.

Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
    I am still hoping Andre Smith falls to us at 10 and then we pick up Larry English in the 2nd.
    That's an amazingly attractive scenario. Unfortunately I doubt highly Smith drops to #10 and even less likely English drops to #43. We could cross our fingers, I guess.

Originally posted by chapo123 View Post
    who was the last de from fsu that was good? the reason i ask is some guy from si.com wrote brown off. orakpo i feel isn't a goo fit. aaron maybin yes, but not @ 10.
    You have an obvious reason for concern but if you look at the situation more closely you could ask the same question of nearly every school. In fact, if you look at the most recent dominant 3-4 OLBs...

DeMarcus Ware - Troy
    Joey Porter - Colorado St.
    James Harrison - Kent St.
    LaMarr Woodley - Michigan
    Shawne Merriman - Maryland

before they were drafted, you'd be hard-pressed to find another 3-4 OLB type prior to them, either.

Comment

• I dont see Garcia going to Minnesota because they had a chance to go after him two years ago with him coming off a solid season with the Eagles and they (Minnesota) didnt. He's just about to be 39 years old. I'm sorry but his days as a starter are over. He's also been injury prone and wants starter type money. He's not getting that. And I dont see him in DAL because I dont see T.O. getting released or traded because doing so would cause DAL t take a cap hit of $8m which would leave them with $2m or so in cap room and in no way, shape or form are the Cowboys going to be able to extend Ware with only $2m in cap room.

With 3-4 DE Chris Canty a UFA and not expected to stay in DAL, anyone here interested in him? I'm 50/50 and rather have Igor Olshansky because he played with Manusky but what do you guys think?

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        With 3-4 DE Chris Canty a UFA and not expected to stay in DAL, anyone here interested in him? I'm 50/50 and rather have Igor Olshansky because he played with Manusky but what do you guys think?
        I dont see the Niners going after him. He'll probably ask for more than they are willing to give and they seem happy with Justin Smith, Sopo and Ray McDonald.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Where does Balmer fit in? And if he doesnt, any chance we could trade him?

Comment

• sopo at times look lost. i think balmer should be tried @ dt. let franklin and fields go. take raji @ 10 and some young dt in f.a.

garcia isn't going anywhere but sf, det, chic, or even buffalo. all asa backup.
            det is going w/culpepper, chic has orton and buffalo has edwards. sf is a place he can come in, take a pay cut and help tutor hill so hill can tutor someone next season.

Comment

And I dont see him in DAL because I dont see T.O. getting released or traded because doing so would cause DAL t take a cap hit of $8m which would leave them with $2m or so in cap room and in no way, shape or form are the Cowboys going to be able to extend Ware with only $2m in cap room.

Your T.O. numbers are WAAAAAY off. It will cost Dallas only an extra $500-$600K to cut T.O. His current cap charge is approximately in the mid-to-high $8M and his charge after getting cut would be somewhere in the mid-to-low $9M.
              The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

Where does Balmer fit in? And if he doesnt, any chance we could trade him?
                He was just the team's 1st round pick. I think he should be given a little more time before he's given up on and traded. With that said, he would have very little value even if that was a good idea. At this point he looks to be a 3-4 DE with the 49ers but perhaps is most natural as a 4-3 DT. I'm willing to be patient with the guy considering interior lineman don't typically have an immediate impact in the NFL. Look at Albert Haynesworth for instance. Prior to the last 2 seasons he was best known for stomping Andre Gurode, most definitely NOT for being a dominant interior presence... and his rookie year was 2002.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                  Prior to the last 2 seasons he was best known for stomping Andre Gurode, most definitely NOT for being a dominant interior presence... and his rookie year was 2002.
                  Two words: contract years.

Comment

Was thinking about Canty as well but his agent is looking for Tommy Kelly money. Igor would be a good idea, forgot Manusky coached him. I wonder if he will get a deal similar to Issac's.

Comment

• A few tidbits on the QB situation from the 49ers PR thingy:
                      49ers aren't ruling out Vick:
                      "I'm not going to say I'm open or closed," Singletary said of the possibility of the 49ers acquiring Vick. "I'd say it has to be something Scot (McCloughan) and I talk about and feel good about one way or the other. But we have not talked about it at this point in great detail. We're trying to focus on what we have.

"I think right now we really need to look at the two guys we have," Singletary added. "If everything works out with Alex and he's back, we need to look at that and go as far as we can go with that. The whole Michael Vick thing, we have to sit down and talk about that. But for right now, we have enough on our plates
                      Also if Alex is back he will be given a shot at the job
                      Singletary said he is focusing on a possible QB competition matching Hill against Smith. He said the competition will not be a drawn-out affair. He said it will also be different than a year ago because Hill and Smith will be on equal footing. Singletary said there was only one QB who knew the system a year ago, and that was J.T. O'Sullivan.

Also on taking a QB at 10
                      "That's something we'd have to talk long and hard about, actually," Singletary said.
                      Very insightful. I wish some 49ers season ticket holder had the balls to ask if the 49ers had to choose between B.J. or Sanchez who would they take.

Comment

• I think Balmer is going to be a lot better next year. Towards the end of the year he was getting a lot more PT.
                        Originally posted by 49erNation85
                        I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                          I think Balmer is going to be a lot better next year. Towards the end of the year he was getting a lot more PT.
                          That was always what we expected (hoped). Despite being a Senior he was still very raw when he came to the team and then was asked to move around the line.

Any guesses on his final position? I don't think he'll adapt so well to the game of musical positions Nolan loved so I think it should be DE.

Comment

• In a 3-4 defense Balmer should play DE. He, Isaac Sopoaga at NT, and Justin Smith at DE would give us a good enough defensive line.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
                              A few tidbits on the QB situation from the 49ers PR thingy:
                              49ers aren't ruling out Vick:

I'm truly not a fan of this Michael Vick business.

There is currently a rumor floating around that the 49ers actually visited Vick at Leavenworth.

Why would the 49ers and a new coach even consider such a PR nightmare?

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                                There is currently a rumor floating around that the 49ers actually visited Vick at Leavenworth.
                                That sounds like the biggest load of BS ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information