Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A really strange trade for sure...Maybe Sabes wanted to get a guy with some playoff experience?

Trade deadline has passed and no catcher. I don't know how we can expect to get deep into the playoffs with Whiteside calling games.

Oh ya and Zito is done. Three straight miserable starts. Let's get Sanchez back in there.

Comment

• Sanchez is busy walking eight billion minor leaguers right now.
      The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• I can't stand seeing Zito in there. It's basically batting practice for every team he pitches against.

Comment

• Yeah, Zito should be going to the 'pen. They had already labeled yesterday his 'make or break' start, placing Sanchez in the rotation in his place. Sanchez is very hit and miss, but he's better than Zito overall.

They may still get a C off of waivers but I wouldn't bank on it unless there's an injury. Sabean noted that Boche was very protective over Whiteside and Stewart due to their chemistry with the pitching staff. I don't really see it, but if Boche does, that's good for me.

They still need a leadoff hitter. That's a likely target for waivers in August.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
          Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Well the Giants are in some deep **** right now.

Current players that are hurt: Posey, F Sanchez, Torres, Keppinger, Beltran, Shierholtz, Rowand, Sandoval, Burrel, Derosa

l'm gonna watch the 2010 world series on dvd.
            Last edited by hawkeye123; 08-16-2011, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• Keppinger got hurt? F***! What a nightmare of injuries this season. All they need to do is get healthy (as possible) and in the NL West lead. The playoffs will take care of themselves as the Giants have a reliable 4 man rotation to mow people down.

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

• Nate the Great broke his foot, which is really significant as he has been one of the most consistent hitters.

J Sanchez sprained his ankle in the 3rd today, then the Giants go on to lose in the 11th.

This team is cursed right now.

Comment

• Grady Sizemore a Free Agent:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/71...-sizemore-deal

IMO, he's definitely worth a shot as a leadoff batter and speedy CF are two HUGE needs this offseason for the Giants.

Comment

• Arbitration-eligible Torres and Ramirez traded to Mets for Angel Pagan:

http://espn.go.com/newyork/conversat...ork-mets-moves

Not sure about this trade at all. Pagan is a CF, has base-stealing speed (8th in NL last year with almost 40 steals) and has hit leadoff, which are all needs for the Giants, BUT he reportedly doesn't like to hit leadoff (where all his value is), hasn't hit that great for average (.275 for career), has struggled in the outfield defensively (10 errors last year) and has a low baseball IQ (routinely missing cut off men on throws).

I know the Giants might have not tendered Torres as he was a one-season wonder but Ramirez was pretty solid out of the pen. I just think that they didn't have a spot for either in their 2012 plans so I'm fine with them being moved; I just don't know if they got much value in return. In Pagan, they fill some of their gaping needs a little, but he'll have to have a renaissance year for this to be a relevant move.

The move allows them to save a few bucks (tendering one player at around $3.5M instead of 2 players at around $5M total) and open a roster spot in the crowded bullpen for one of the younger (and cheaper) arms and they bring in a CF with more speed and leadoff experience to possibly make an impact.

It's noteworthy that Beltran was moved to RF in NY to make room for this guy in CF but I don't see how bringing in this former Met will help get Beltran back (if that was part of their thinking).

Most likely, this appears to be a lo-level trade that may not have much of an impact. I'm just hoping they can work on Pagan's D and that he'll want to hit leadoff and accept his role stealing bases.

Comment

• I'm just happy that we got younger. Only thing that bugs me is Sabes said he wanted to offer Ramirez a deal but had to include him in the trade to make budget. While I applaud them for bumping payroll up to $130 million that comment and things like this tidbit from Extra Baggs make me worried about the Larry Baer Era:
                      In the past, former managing partner Bill Neukom described the payroll as a placeholder. Sabean had the leeway to come to ownership and ask for a bump if he could justify spending it on a significant player.

Sabean said that understanding is not the current mode. There will be no special disbursements.

“Pure and simple, we’ve got to build in some contingencies because of arbitration,” said Sabean, who is likely to tender contracts to 10 arbitration-eligible players – including Tim Lincecum. “So the $130 (million) is more iron-clad. It has to be.”

Comment

• HAPPY PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT DAY

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post

HAPPY PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT DAY
                          Cheers to that! Play ball!

Comment

• It's on! If Lincecum is able to pitch steady in the postseason, I'd argue that this roster is overall more talented than the 2012 Champs. #OrangeOctober

Comment

• The offense is definitely better as whole. The question is, if we get deep enough, does Melky play?

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                                The offense is definitely better as whole. The question is, if we get deep enough, does Melky play?
                                I believe I saw an update the other day that Melky isn't eligible for the postseason. I'll have to double check though.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information