2011 Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by summond822 View Post
    As I was watching this draft I couldn't help but feel like the Seahawks were screwed from their very first pick when they couldn't trade down. It just kind of felt like this draft lacked a lot of talent in positions of need for the Hawks once they were actually able to start picking.

Given that, I feel like they did a pretty good job of finding starters (Carpenter, Moffitt).

While I do think that Durham was a reach he's a 6'5 WR that runs a 4.4-4.5 40 and had 18 of his 32 catches when A.J. Green wasn't eligible. That pick screams upside to me.

The rest of this draft was spent on improving the talent/size of our secondary (2 6'+ press CB and 1 ball-hawking S) and our OLB/LEO position depth (K.J. Wright & Malcolm Smith)

I think that the 7th round pick (Levingston?) is depth behind Red Bryant, but I have serious doubts that he develops into anything other than emergency depth.

It also isn't fair to compare this draft to last years. Last year there was a ton of underclassmen who declared that improved the quality of that draft, this year the depth was nowhere near as high.

I understand the frustration about the draft, but I feel like they got two solid starters from this draft. I once heard that if you can get 2 starters from a draft that draft is a success.

So while I can't give them an A for some of their reaches, the work that they did in this draft is at least a solid B
    They definitely could have traded down. Pete said on Twitter that he had FIVE offers on the table.

Comment

• And yet none of them were what they wanted. Part of the problem was that they admitted that they wanted to trade down (twice publicly iirc). It is one thing to "leak" that you are looking to trade down, it is another to publically state it.

It is just like when you are selling something. If there is a perception that you are in a rush to sell something, you are not going to get the best offer available.

I think the Seahawks wanted an early 2nd and a 3rd. That wasn't happening so they decided to take the top guy on their board.
      Video games keep me sane

University of Washington Huskies: 7-6

Comment

And yet none of them were what they wanted. Part of the problem was that they admitted that they wanted to trade down (twice publicly iirc). It is one thing to "leak" that you are looking to trade down, it is another to publically state it.

It is just like when you are selling something. If there is a perception that you are in a rush to sell something, you are not going to get the best offer available.

I think the Seahawks wanted an early 2nd and a 3rd. That wasn't happening so they decided to take the top guy on their board.
        The Saints gave up a 2012 first and their second rounder to get Ingram from the Pats. I have to assume that offer was on the table for us as we had a higher pick and I'm sure they were at least slightly concerned about the Patriots taking him. I'm not buying that they didn't have a good offer on the table at all.

Comment

• ^ I don't get that either. Unless we declined them because we only wanted to get into the 40ish range (so we couldstill get Carpenter).
          "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• Anyway, I do a big write-up every year on the forum and I'll give us a grade then but it's tough to be excited about a class headlined by a RT and OG.

This will not be a well-received draft by the draftniks and "experts" but that doesn't matter. I honestly don't know what the **** we were thinking after the two OL but I'm hoping for the best.

The DBs we added all have size, speed, and potential and Wright could be a good player.

As for Durham, I dislike WR prospects who don't have great production but I do acknowledge his upside. Taking a prospect with about 50 career catches in the 4th round is something I just can't endorse but I hope he proves me wrong.

As a franchise, we are at a crossroads and I'm glad we didn't make a rash decision and invest in a flawed young QB. Hopefully we'll give Whitehurst a chance and if he crashes and burns (which is what EVERYONE is predicting), we'll maybe have a shot at Luck or another QB next year. The other option is Kolb, who we've been linked to recently. I'd rather not, but I wouldn't be furious if we got him. Unfortunately for us, the Rams and 49ers are about to get really good so finding a QB is essential.
            "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• I was thinking, watching this draft, that by beating the Saints and thus ensuring that we weren't going to get better through the draft this year, we might very well be in position to take Andrew Luck next April.

Also, I actually like the Durham pick a lot. He gives our offense something it didn't have: a tall target who can get deep fast and make contested catches. He's a pure deep threat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Calubflower View Post
                I was thinking, watching this draft, that by beating the Saints and thus ensuring that we weren't going to get better through the draft this year, we might very well be in position to take Andrew Luck next April.

Also, I actually like the Durham pick a lot. He gives our offense something it didn't have: a tall target who can get deep fast and make contested catches. He's a pure deep threat.
                You arent the only one thinking the Seahawks may be right up there for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes as more than one early 2012 mock i've seen has them picking first.

If they somehow pull that coup off i'm going to consider Pete Carroll a genius, albeit through no fault of his own.

Comment

• I'm slowly starting to warm up to these picks, I just really hope that these guys are good or we really ****** ourselves. And we definitely need qb of the future. Whitehurst won't do it and I don't even know who are 3rd qb is. We definitely need to pick one of the top guys next year.

Props to BoneKrusher for the sig
                  Hit me up on XBOX Live: totallynotalex

Comment

• We only have one QB on the roster at the moment. From the sounds of it, Schneider said that they "have a plan for QB, we just can't execute it right now."

Which means they are either trading or signing a FA QB.

We still need to address the position in the draft next year, preferably early on. I don't think Andrew Luck comes into play though. We won't be able to be that bad in the NFC West unless half the starters just go down with freak injuries.
                    Video games keep me sane

University of Washington Huskies: 7-6

Comment

We only have one QB on the roster at the moment. From the sounds of it, Schneider said that they "have a plan for QB, we just can't execute it right now."

Which means they are either trading or signing a FA QB.

We still need to address the position in the draft next year, preferably early on. I don't think Andrew Luck comes into play though. We won't be able to be that bad in the NFC West unless half the starters just go down with freak injuries.
                      If the longterm plan is Kolb i'll be pissed. I think they need to bring in a Palmer and let him play a few years while they groom the heir apparent.

Comment

• I'd be pretty pissed about Kolb, too, mostly because of how much we'd have to pay to get him. I'm really hoping we can pry Palmer away from Cincinnati. I'd rather sign Alex Smith to a free-agent contract than trade anything more than a fourth-rounder for Kevin Kolb.

Comment

• Honestly I really don't get the hype with Palmer and why everyone wants him so bad. Personally I wouldn't take Palmer over a hot Matt Hasslebeck or even an average Matt Hasselbeck.

Props to BoneKrusher for the sig
                          Hit me up on XBOX Live: totallynotalex

Comment

• The problem is we haven't seen Hot Hasselbeck or average Beck consistently since 2007. Resigning Hasselbeck made sense if they drafted a guy whom they could develop but they didnt and I would much rather see them get a guy who can start at a high level for atleast 3-4 years. Palmer and Kolb give them that chance, Beck doesnt. I would much rather see them sink or swim with Whitehurst and draft a QB high next year but "Win Forever" means they wont and they'll do stuff like drafting a G/T guy in the first round.

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information