No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruce Gradkowski is supposed to be a free agent this year. I've liked him since he first came into the league; wouldn't mind at all if the Seahawks signed him. He's way better than Whitehurst. Dennis Dixon might be worth taking a look at. Honestly, I wouldn't mind bringing in Alex Smith for a look, either.

Comment

Love is atrocious at football (based on his bowl game and the Senior Bowl). He got beat like a drum consistently).

And I'm not a big Kolb guy. I wouldn't be furious if we dealt #25 for him but I'm not very high on him (though we haven't seen much out of him obviously and he definitely has upside).
      "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

I didn't see Love in those games. I'll take your word for it.

Comment

That Addison kid intrigues me. I love on one of the first plays (Oklahoma State game) he holds off the LT with one arm and makes the tackle. Just shows incredible strength.

However, I think the reason he isn't regarded as a higher round draft pick is because he seems kind of undersized for anything but a situational pass rusher (can't tell from the highlight video), and in coverage he doesn't have great hips. Great sleeper pick as a 4-3 DE though.

Of course, it's also a highlight video so we can't see if there are any inconsistencies with his effort.
          Video games keep me sane

University of Washington Huskies: 7-6

Comment

John Clayton hears that more scouts are saying that Locker likely falls to the second

Thoughts? Trading down from 25 now becomes an extremely popular move in my opinion. Grab some extra picks, maybe a first next year, and then grab our QB of the future in the later first or early second.
            Video games keep me sane

Comment

I'd just as soon take him at 25 if the team decides he's "the guy." I mean, if you think that there's a guy on the board who's going to be your quarterback for at least the next 4 or 5 years, just as a matter of a development timetable, I don't think you risk another team taking him just to pick up some more picks.

Comment

Also, does anyone know how Brandon Harris did at the combine? I didn't get to watch this morning. I haven't seen him anywhere on the "fastest times" postings, so I'm guessing he could fall a little bit, which is fine with me if it means we can get him at a bargain price.

Comment

I didn't see it either, but Harris had the 5th best time among DB's in the first group. He ran a 4.43

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/01/chek...-group-of-dbs/
                  Video games keep me sane

Comment

I wouldnt put much stock in what John Clayton has to say to be honest. Was that before Locker looked like the best QB at the combine on Sunday? Some mocks i'm seeing he's going as high as #9 to the Titans and #10 to the Redskins. He won't even be there for the Hawks.

Comment

Originally posted by Calubflower View Post
                      Also, does anyone know how Brandon Harris did at the combine? I didn't get to watch this morning. I haven't seen him anywhere on the "fastest times" postings, so I'm guessing he could fall a little bit, which is fine with me if it means we can get him at a bargain price.
                      Harris looked very fluid. He's an NFL CB - no doubt.

It just sucks to have a guy at 5'9" covering Fitz. He'll struggle with bigger receivers but he's got the ability to stay with anyone. I like him.

On a related note, the Jimmy Smith hype train is derailing before our eyes. I doubt we consider him at #25, as I previously believed. Aaron Williams reportedly didn't light up the combine either, but I only saw Harris in drills.
                      "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                        I wouldnt put much stock in what John Clayton has to say to be honest. Was that before Locker looked like the best QB at the combine on Sunday? Some mocks i'm seeing he's going as high as #9 to the Titans and #10 to the Redskins. He won't even be there for the Hawks.
                        By all accounts Ryan Mallett looked like the best QB at the combine.

ALL mocks had Jimmy Clausen going first round at this time last year.

Locker's on-field, in-pads-related issues are not all of the sudden alleviated because he looked better throwing in shorts (how could he NOT look better after his season and Senior Bowl?). His performance Sunday isn't going to move him up to the top ten from the 2nd round range, which is where Clayton (and rational logic) had him prior to throwing well in shorts.

I know it only takes one team but I think there's a GREAT chance he's there at #25 and a real chance he's there for us in the 2nd round.

In terms of insiders, Clayton's not one to spew BS. If he's hearing second round, it's probably accurate. I don't know why you "wouldn't put stock in what he has to say."
                        "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Wait, what is happening with Jimmy Smith? From everything I've heard he's actually moving up into the first half of the 1st. I didn't watch the combine this year, was there a red flag there?

And also, Mallet was the best QB throwing the ball at the combine from everyone who's reporting. It sounds like Locker came second. However Mallet still has the issues of being a statue in the pocket and making very questionable decisions during the game. Also, his inability to deal with the media at the combine and the character concerns that already exist pretty much cement him as a 2nd rounder in my book. No team is going to want to take the risk of drafting him in the first round with all of these red flags.

But you are right about the Clausen in the first round last year. Hell even I was thinking it. This year a lot of draftniks are looking at a similar scenario with Mallet (more serious off field, but also more potential) and being cautious about placing him too high on draft boards.

The one thing I've noticed about Clayton, at least when it comes to this year's draft, is he has never liked Locker, and he is in love with Christian Ponder.
                          Video games keep me sane

Comment

Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                            By all accounts Ryan Mallett looked like the best QB at the combine.

ALL mocks had Jimmy Clausen going first round at this time last year.

Locker's on-field, in-pads-related issues are not all of the sudden alleviated because he looked better throwing in shorts (how could he NOT look better after his season and Senior Bowl?). His performance Sunday isn't going to move him up to the top ten from the 2nd round range, which is where Clayton (and rational logic) had him prior to throwing well in shorts.

I know it only takes one team but I think there's a GREAT chance he's there at #25 and a real chance he's there for us in the 2nd round.

In terms of insiders, Clayton's not one to spew BS. If he's hearing second round, it's probably accurate. I don't know why you "wouldn't put stock in what he has to say."
                            You and me are going to have this fight up until draft day i can see. He did have a great weekend at the combine, impressed by all accounts, everyone he talked to and performed above expectations on the field. Athletically he was the best of the top QBs and he threw extremely well. I watched the whole coverage on Sunday and he threw better than Newton by far and i thought as good or better than Mallett. When he does something well give him some credit.

As for the Senior Bowl, you keep wanting to bring up, he was 6-10 and was around 8-11 in catchable balls. We'll keep discussing this i'm sure. No hard feelings.

Clayton doesnt know football from a hole in the wall, he just regurgitates what he hears from others. If he talks to someone that likes Locker tomorrow then his tune will change, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                              You and me are going to have this fight up until draft day i can see. He did have a great weekend at the combine, impressed by all accounts, everyone he talked to and performed above expectations on the field. Athletically he was the best of the top QBs and he threw extremely well. I watched the whole coverage on Sunday and he threw better than Newton by far and i thought as good or better than Mallett. When he does something well give him some credit.

As for the Senior Bowl, you keep wanting to bring up, he was 6-10 and was around 8-11 in catchable balls. We'll keep discussing this i'm sure. No hard feelings.

Clayton doesnt know football from a hole in the wall, he just regurgitates what he hears from others. If he talks to someone that likes Locker tomorrow then his tune will change, nothing more.
                              hears from others = hears from informed NFL sources...

If he comes out tomorrow and says he's now viewed as a first rounder than I'd absolutely buy it. But no credible source has placed him in that area to this point. Instead, most are saying he's a 2nd rounder.

I give Locker credit for his performance at the combine. What I won't do is allow one workout in shorts to vault him up an entire round or two in my mind. He still has the game tape of a mid-to-late round QB with all the tools.

In fact, I heard a bit of his interview today on Mike and Mike and the hosts AND Locker himself were adamant that "draft slot doesn't matter as much as what you do when you get the chance" (paraphrasing a lot) pointing to Rodgers and bracing Locker for a selection later than he was hoping previous to this season. Locker seemed ready to take on that challenge which I liked.
                              "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Eric Williams of the Tacoma News Tribune has heard "rumblings" that the Seahawks are "not high" on Washington QB Jake Locker.
                                "But that could be a smokescreen," concedes Williams. Locker has local ties, so it was presumed that he'd be a sexy pick for the Seahawks at No. 25 overall. Then again, after "leading" the hometown Huskies to just 15 wins on 40 career starts, perhaps Locker isn't all that beloved in Washington, after all.
                                Related: Seahawks
                                Source: Tacoma News Tribune
                                This is the second report I've read that has indicated the Seahawks are not high on him.

I do concede that if they did have the intention of selecting him at #25, a smokescreen like this would be smart.

Still, I'm hoping the rumblings are sincere. I know most other Seahawks fans aren't.
                                "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information