Lot of buzz about the Rams and Vernon Gholston

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
    If Chris Long is gone, I want Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey. I don't want Gholston unless we trade down to 5 or 6.

When you watch a DE at the combine the most important drills for a DE are 10 yard splits, bench, 20-yard shuttle and 3-cone drill.

10 yard splits:
    Gholston: 1.53
    Long: 1.53

Bench:
    Gholston: 37
    Long: did not participate

20-yard shuttle:
    Gholston: 4.40
    Long: 4.21

3-cone drill:
    Gholston: 7.12
    Long: 7.02

Chris Long had a better shuttle, 10 yard split and 3-cone than Mario Williams. Long had a Better shuttle and better 10 yard than Kearse. And Long had the same 10-yard split a better 3-cone and better shuttle then Patrick Willis.

Chris Long is a great athlete, gives you 110% every snap, and has the best technique for a defensive end.
    Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think I would like Jake Long over Gholston. Gholston is just starting to worry me because of how high everyone got on him after the combine.......workout warrior. I don't know what to think about taking Dorsey. My main hang up is having 5 DT's. None of them would have high trade value either, so that basically just means we carry 5 DT's on the roster or risk putting a quality player on the practice squad where another team can sign them. I do rank Dorsey above Gholston, I just have a hard time seeing the need at DT. Having 5 DT's would be like having 8 good WR's, it just doesn't make sense. As far as a trade down goes, it is extremely unlikely that someone would want to move up to #2, but Gholston would be the target if we did trade down. I couldn't really complain about that move either, if it got us another 2nd rounder.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.

Comment

I don't think Jake is falling to us.. so Gholston or Long would be my choice.

R.I.P Sean Taylor

Thanks to Renji for the AVI

Comment

Has there been any thought about Carriker playing DE. If we do take Dorsey, only if Chris Long is gone, at #2. Would that be a better fit for him or should he he stay inside. I too am not seeing Gholston as a #2 pick and would rather only see him in a trade back. But it seems there are other players moving up the boards like DE Harvey and OG Alberts and Gholston is moving backwards. Even if we trade back I don't know if Gholston is still our pick.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"

Comment

Originally posted by freebirdsrams02 View Post
          Has there been any thought about Carriker playing DE. If we do take Dorsey, only if Chris Long is gone, at #2. Would that be a better fit for him or should he he stay inside. I too am not seeing Gholston as a #2 pick and would rather only see him in a trade back. But it seems there are other players moving up the boards like DE Harvey and OG Alberts and Gholston is moving backwards. Even if we trade back I don't know if Gholston is still our pick.
          If we take Dorsey, Carriker will stay at the NT and thats where I want him. Carriker and Dorsey would be insane, it would free up our Defensive Ends. Maybe take a guy like Quentin Groves in the 2nd.

Comment

If we take Dorsey, Carriker will stay at the NT and thats where I want him. Carriker and Dorsey would be insane, it would free up our Defensive Ends. Maybe take a guy like Quentin Groves in the 2nd.
            Phillip Merling might also be in the 2nd round. So Dorsey and Merling or Groves would make an impact up front. But I doubt they go DL in the first 2 rounds.

Comment

The late buzz seems to be on Dorsey right now. If he does, I think Carriker goes to end, but will slide inside on passing downs. That said, Carriker offers versatility, so he may be shifted in and out.

I wouldn't hold my breath on hoping for Merling or Groves in the early 2nd. It's possible, but I think the chances are slim.

I think if you go DL in the first, I don't think OL is going to be a strong consideration in the early 2nd. I think BPA is possible, but I'd guess WR there, depending on the board. Although I'm a bit perplexed on type of WR. Pre-Saunders, the talk was for a bigger guy. But Saunders typically likes those smaller and quicker guys.

Personally, I'd wait till the 3rd for a WR if Saunders gets final say on type of player. There should be some solid, shifty, quick guys in the early 3rd.

Comment

Serious? I would be really pissed if Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey go number 1 and 2. Those are my top 2 guys.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Has there been any thought about Carriker playing DE.
                  Jim Thomas: "If the Rams drafted Dorsey, Dorsey and Carriker would be the starting DTs in the base defense."

Comment

If we take Dorsey that would give us 5 DT. I don't think the Rams are going to carry 5. So who would be out and could they trade one for a draft pick.

Comment

If we take Dorsey that would give us 5 DT. I don't think the Rams are going to carry 5. So who would be out and could they trade one for a draft pick.
                      If Wroten shows something at camp, I'm all for cutting Laroi Glover.

Carriker, Wroten, Ryan, Dorsey

Comment

Personally, I would like to see Chris Long or Vernon Gholston be drafted by the Rams.

Comment

If Wroten shows something at camp, I'm all for cutting Laroi Glover.

Carriker, Wroten, Ryan, Dorsey
                          They aren't cutting Glover. Glover is a team captain and mentor for the defense. As far as him as a player and factoring in age, it might make sense to cut him in that scenario, but he brings other things to the table. If they are keeping Chavous then they definitely keeping Glover, Glover can still play a little bit at least.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by nfrillman View Post
                            They aren't cutting Glover. Glover is a team captain and mentor for the defense. As far as him as a player and factoring in age, it might make sense to cut him in that scenario, but he brings other things to the table. If they are keeping Chavous then they definitely keeping Glover, Glover can still play a little bit at least.
                            I agree, they won't cut Glover but "team captain, mentor"......I could say the same thing for Isaac Bruce.

Comment

Originally posted by yodachu View Post
                              Personally, I would like to see Chris Long or Vernon Gholston be drafted by the Rams.
                              I just don't see the Rams taking Gholston unless they trade down to #5 or #6.

Comment

The only real options are Glover and Wroten. Glover, though aging, has at least shown he's capable of doing something on the field. Wroten has not only not lived up to the potential, but hasn't done anything of note.

What's interesting is that some Rams fans I've seen post around the 'net have advocated for Dorsey because of the impact he could have on Wroten. To me, it seems the likely impact that Dorsey's drafting would have on Wroten is putting him that much closer to the chopping block.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information