No announcement yet.

Rams' 2008 Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're at pick 26 and no receiver has been taken. The Rams may have a chance to get a good one (Jackson) with pick 33.

Comment

great avatar NG

Comment

Donnie Avery?

Comment

I'm fine with this. The Rams needed to add speed to their receiver corps. Holt is losing his speed because of his knee injury. Bennett is a tall guy, not incredibly fast. Caldwell isn't going to burn you. Avery is one of the fastest guys in the draft, and he has better size than Jackson.

It seems obvious that NFL teams don't view this WR class as having a lot of top talent. Devin Thomas went right after we took Avery, but then the Packers took Jordy Nelson. Right now Jackson, Sweed, and Hardy are still on the board. Jackson's weight is probably worrying some teams. Sweed's injury could be the cause of his slip. Hardy has off the field character concerns.

Avery has elite quickness and is a deep threat. He has a lot of starting experience in college and was very productive. His ability to change direction is considered to be top notch. He needs to work on his route running and his ability to beat the jam at the line, but those are the kinds of things that can be taught. Legitimate 4.3 speed cannot. I think he'll be a good fit in Saunders' scheme, definitely a guy who could be a weapon in multiple receiver sets.

Again, the fact that Jordy Nelson got picked over Jackson, Sweed, Hardy demonstrates that NFL boards may not have had the WRs valued in the same manner as most fans and some analysts.

Comment

Great first day for the Rams!! I like both picks.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"

Comment

the part i don't get is that the 1st receiver off th board (1st receiver taken) is Donnie Avery form Houston? that i don;t get, DeSean or Devin seems more of a likely pick if NO WR has been taken

Comment

Yea I was thinking that too. I thought Jackson would have been the pick. After watching some highlights of Avery he looks legit and someone that could help us in the return game as well as the WR spot.

What's going to happen tommorrow. There seems to be a lot of quality players left on the board. I would like to see the Rams trade back in the 3rd and maybe get 2 3rds or an extra 4th.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"

Comment

Bernie from his message board on Avery...

* He isn't as raw as some are suggesting.

* Henry Ellard worrked him out personally, twice, and put a great grade on this guy...

* Saunders told the brass when asked that he's the guy who best fits what he's trying to do, because he wants to put him in the slot (at first) and make defenses be accountable for his speed. Al wants to be able to spread that defense. Which makes a helluva lot of sense to me. Unless you all want to see more of the same, slow, plodding BS we were treated to last year.

* He has a chance to be a real threat as a KOR.

Call me silly, but I'll take the word over the great WR Henry Ellard and a pretty damned good offensive football coach (Saunders) over some insta-draft experts on this here Internet board.

Comment

who's going #2 in rd 3 fellas? Lions fan here liking K. Smith (no trouble there with you) but also like D. Connor... are you guys sniffing him at all?

Curious.

Comment

yea who do you guys see as our 2nd pick in rond 3

Comment

Vince Redd Would be a great pick!

Comment

Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
                          who's going #2 in rd 3 fellas? Lions fan here liking K. Smith (no trouble there with you) but also like D. Connor... are you guys sniffing him at all?

Curious.
                          They could definitely have an interest in Connor. The Rams are quite thin at LB. I think it will be O-line, S, or LB in 3rd round.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.

Comment

The more I find out about Donnie Avery the more I like him. He has amazing quickness. His 3-cone drill time was 6.30, the 2nd best time was 6.57. He runs a sub 4.3 40, which I think everyone knows is lightning fast. He is 5'11" and right around 200 lbs. The main knock on him route running, which can be taught. You cannot teach unreal quickness and speed, on top of that he has good size (unlike Desean Jackson who is very slight). As for any talk about the Rams being able to wait until the 3rd round and get him, read this article:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=403984

There were 10 WR's taken in the 2nd round, if the Rams had this guy as the best WR they would feel real foolish if he got nabbed before their 3rd round pick. On top of that, what else would they have taken? The 8th best OT? The more I find out about him the more I like him than the other WR's in the draft who all have weaknesses I consider more significant. Devin Thomas is the only guy I would feel as comfortable with.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.

Comment

I like the pick of Long. For me although Dorsey is great it just would send the wrong image and message to Carriker. I believe Linehan was right It would have been wrong to take Dorsey and then tell Adam to move over.

To me the pick was either Long or Gholston. As for Avery I really like the guy but the situation annoys the heck out of me. The Front Office knows its a reach and although we apparently got our man I believe we didn't get full value. I don't mean a different player, but DROP Down 10 spots and he's still there plus you get another pick.

As for round 3 any of these four

LB Cliff Avril
                              LB Erin Henderson
                              S Reggie Smith
                              OT Anothony Collins

Comment

Originally posted by BTRams66 View Post
                                As for Avery I really like the guy but the situation annoys the heck out of me. The Front Office knows its a reach and although we apparently got our man I believe we didn't get full value. I don't mean a different player, but DROP Down 10 spots and he's still there plus you get another pick.
                                There are multiple reports out there that seem to dispute the idea that he'd be there later.

As for guys to get later, I know a number of Rams fans clamoring for Dan Connor in the third round. That's certainly one potential direction, although I can't help but wonder if Miami's Tavares Gooden gives them more speed and versatility at the linebacker position. Reggie Smith and Justin King could bolster the secondary.

If the Rams are still looking for offensive line help, Anthony Collins will have to get some consideration at the top of round three, especially given how quickly tackles came off the board early on. I think from a value perspective, you have to look at NC State's DaJuan Morgan as someone you could take and groom behind Chavous to eventually start.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information