X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tfry
    started a topic I hate the Donnie Avery Pick

I hate the Donnie Avery Pick

I was really looking forward to the Rams draft this year and it started off excellent with Chris Long. However, after that there wasn't much to be excited about.

We had one of the largest reaches in the draft grabbing Donnie Avery with the 33rd overall. With Thomas, Jackson, and Sweed still on the board I just don't get it. I realize we need a slot receiver, but wouldn't bringing in the top receiver (Thomas) to challenge Drew Bennett be a better option? Plus Torry Holt is 32 and had an injury plagued '07. If Holt goes down this year we will be looking at Bennett, Avery, and Reche Cauldwell. Personally, I would have liked to see us trade our second rounder for Lito Sheppard had I known we were going to waste it on a slot receiver.

I also didn't like the Burton pick out of Kentucky. The guy can't stay healthy at all and doesn't seem to have much upside in my opinion.

If Linehan is an offensive guru, he sure hasn't shown it. I'm curious what you guys think of the Avery pick and how you see it working out for the Rams. We had a lot of holes to fill this year and I think we addressed most, but our skill positions on offense were not addressed in my opinion.

• LonghornsLegend
    replied
    Originally posted by tfry View Post
    Well, through two weeks I can safely say I was dead on with hating the Avery pick. DeSean Jackson is averaging 6 receptions and 108 yards per game. Donnie Avery has 1 return yard after two games. Zygmund and Linehan have to go. This team is just painful to watch.

I also didn't like the Keenan Burton pick because he was so injury prone. Well guess what! He's injured!!! Time to start looking towards the 2009 season...

LMAO this is why people don't jump the gun, I guess you didn't get the memo that this was a rookie WR not even at the halfway point of his rookie year, but you were "right" already about how his career would pan out.

See how foolish you look now?

Leave a comment:

• holt_bruce81
    replied
    So that Avery pick is looking better and better every week.

Leave a comment:

• ChezPower4
    replied
    hahaha NG he looked pretty good last week I will give you that. Our team has been a mess for a couple years now and it's frustrating. Especially when other rookies are healthy and contributing right away (Jackson/Royal). I still think Avery has a lot to prove before you can write him up as a success. However, if he builds on the Washington game I'd feel much better about the pick (even though DeSean Jackson is running away with ROY)!
    DeSean Jackson running away with the ROY??? Seriously, Jackson is a canidate but I think that Matt Forte, Chris Johnson and Matt Ryan are in much better shape to win the award than Jackson.

Leave a comment:

• holt_bruce81
    replied
    hahaha NG he looked pretty good last week I will give you that. Our team has been a mess for a couple years now and it's frustrating. Especially when other rookies are healthy and contributing right away (Jackson/Royal). I still think Avery has a lot to prove before you can write him up as a success. However, if he builds on the Washington game I'd feel much better about the pick (even though DeSean Jackson is running away with ROY)!
    haha he didn't play one game or even go through one practice in the NFL before you went off saying how much you hate the pick.

Leave a comment:

• tfry
    replied

Leave a comment:

• holt_bruce81
    replied
    haha nice!

Leave a comment:

• NGSeiler
    replied
    ...so, still hate the pick?

Leave a comment:

• holt_bruce81
    replied
    I am pumped that Avery is starting this week!!

Leave a comment:

• nfrillman
    replied
    Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
    How can you be dead on? Avery hasn't even got in the chance to play and it's been two freaking weeks of his rookie year.

You barely have a rookie receiver make a huge impact. It's not like he's going to just come into the nfl and start playing at a probowl level.

Isaac Bruce pretty much played on special teams his rookie year, and didn't even have over 300 receiving yards.....Guess he's a bust to.
    Exactly. You can pretty much predict someone's NFL career by their team's first two games, even if they basically didn't play. Desean Jackson's number couldn't possibly have anything to do with being the top option the first couple weeks for an excellent team. I guess this means Long is an 8 sack a year guy.

Leave a comment:

• holt_bruce81
    replied
    How can you be dead on? Avery hasn't even got in the chance to play and it's been two freaking weeks of his rookie year.

You barely have a rookie receiver make a huge impact. It's not like he's going to just come into the nfl and start playing at a probowl level.

Isaac Bruce pretty much played on special teams his rookie year, and didn't even have over 300 receiving yards.....Guess he's a bust to.
    Last edited by holt_bruce81; 09-16-2008, 08:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tfry
    replied
    Well, through two weeks I can safely say I was dead on with hating the Avery pick. DeSean Jackson is averaging 6 receptions and 108 yards per game. Donnie Avery has 1 return yard after two games. Zygmund and Linehan have to go. This team is just painful to watch.

I also didn't like the Keenan Burton pick because he was so injury prone. Well guess what! He's injured!!! Time to start looking towards the 2009 season...

I was really looking forward to the Rams draft this year and it started off excellent with Chris Long. However, after that there wasn't much to be excited about.

We had one of the largest reaches in the draft grabbing Donnie Avery with the 33rd overall. With Thomas, Jackson, and Sweed still on the board I just don't get it. I realize we need a slot receiver, but wouldn't bringing in the top receiver (Thomas) to challenge Drew Bennett be a better option? Plus Torry Holt is 32 and had an injury plagued '07. If Holt goes down this year we will be looking at Bennett, Avery, and Reche Cauldwell. Personally, I would have liked to see us trade our second rounder for Lito Sheppard had I known we were going to waste it on a slot receiver.

I also didn't like the Burton pick out of Kentucky. The guy can't stay healthy at all and doesn't seem to have much upside in my opinion.

If Linehan is an offensive guru, he sure hasn't shown it. I'm curious what you guys think of the Avery pick and how you see it working out for the Rams. We had a lot of holes to fill this year and I think we addressed most, but our skill positions on offense were not addressed in my opinion.
    Last edited by tfry; 09-16-2008, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    At first I was probably like most people - "Donnie Who???" And I was thinking "here we go again....." But then I started reading about him, and the more I read the more I liked. I never really liked Mel Kiper Jr. anyways - the guy seems like an arrogant wannabe who couldn't make the third string team of his local high school - so now he offers his 'expert' opinion... But back to Avery - the more I read the more I like - super fast, played a lot in college, and has 'tude' - that will work for now... I still wish the Rams has drafted Dorsey, but Long could become awesome - so bring on the season !!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    From my understanding, Avery was extremely raw and was viewed as a project. He could help with returns, but as a receiver I don't think he will contribute for another two or three years. Plus, didn't we go out and sign Daunte Hall last year for returns?
    tfry, sorry you didn't like the pick but Avery was identified in a St. Louis Post Dispatch article as Al Saunders GUY! Sorry I don't have a link but i remember him being as the top reciever on Al Saunder's board. Now virtually no one else had him at the top but at least for the time being Al Saunder's reputation as one of the top OCs in the NFL should get him the benifit of the doubt for now.

Leave a comment:

• nfrillman
    replied
    I am really excited to see how Saunders is going to use Avery, and to see what this kid can do. With that kind of raw speed and quickness, I'm not sure how people are going to cover him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information