The Official St. Louis Rams 2010 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seiler,

Points well taken. I must agree somewhat.

Let me please just qualify my statement about building a team by taking the BPA regardless of position by saying that, what I meant was, using this philosophy until a strong core of talent is developed. Once this has been achieved is when you can go ahead and hand-pick key players at certain positions.

True, we do have a few places covered, like LT and MLB. So what I am suggesting is that, if the BPA is an LT or MLB, then you trade down and acquire another pick. Does it really matter if we draft a linebacker or defensive tackle with a given pick, as long as we recognize that we need talent across the board?

Let me ask you this question: If you had the #1 pick, and you could choose between having the first pick in each of the first three rounds, or you could have two picks in each of the first three rounds. but all of the picks were at the end of the rounds, which would be more productive for building this team from the ground up?

Comment

Originally posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
      Let me ask you this question: If you had the #1 pick, and you could choose between having the first pick in each of the first three rounds, or you could have two picks in each of the first three rounds. but all of the picks were at the end of the rounds, which would be more productive for building this team from the ground up?
      The difference is that you're speaking in generalities whereas I'm speaking in specific situations. Generalities are fine, but if I'm sitting at the top of the second round with whom I consider a difference making WR available, then no, I'm not particularly inclined to trade down simply for the extra pick it may result in. If there's no one there whom I'm in love with and have a good offer on the table, then I'm more inclined to move. But having more picks just for the sake of having them isn't a gateway to success. Again, all we have to do is look back to the 2006 Rams draft to understand that trading down doesn't always work in the team's favor.

Comment

It is always hard to trade the first overall pick because the teams that are trying to trade the first overall pick always want too much for it

Thanks BoneKrusher
        IN SHAD WE TRUST

Comment

Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
          lol I just feel bad for this team because as of right now Chris Long and Adam Carriker have looked like busts and to waste 2 first rounders like that is not good
          Don't forget about the other busts of the decade:
          2008 - Chirs Long: Jury is still out. But he hasn't shown much.
          2007 - Adam Carricker: Injuries...
          2006 - Tye Hill: Already off the team because he was so bad.
          2005 - Alex Barron: Underachiever who is only on the team by default.
          2003 - Jimmy Kennedy: I consider this the worst 1st round pick of the decade.
          2002 - Damien Lewis: Another terrible pick!
          2001 - Robert Thomas: Didn't do much while in St. Louis
          2000 - Trung Canidate: I barely even remember this guy!

As it stands, the Rams have only landed one player that I consider decent or better in the first round and that is Sjax. That my friend is why the Rams are drafting in the top 3 for the third straight year. Yes, you need depth at all position, but talent is what wins and in the first round you can't afford to miss 8 out of 9 picks.

Comment

Originally posted by tfry View Post
            Don't forget about the other busts of the decade:
            2007 - Adam Carricker: Injuries...
            2006 - Tye Hill: Already off the team because he was so bad.
            2005 - Alex Barron: Underachiever who is only on the team by default.
            2003 - Jimmy Kennedy: I consider this the worst 1st round pick of the decade.
            2002 - Damien Lewis: Another terrible pick!
            2001 - Robert Thomas: Didn't do much while in St. Louis
            2000 - Trung Canidate: I barely even remember this guy!

As it stands, the Rams have only landed one player that I consider decent or better in the first round and that is Sjax. That my friend is why the Rams are drafting in the top 3 for the third straight year. Yes, you need depth at all position, but talent is what wins and in the first round you can't afford to miss 8 out of 9 picks.
            Alex Barron is a very good Offensive Tackle.

Comment

Anyone see the new mock? Sam Bradford......

I'm a Mizzou guy but I'm still a big Bradford fan. But with the Shoulder injuries, I don't know, I would rather take Clausen or Locker if they come out. I just think Bradford has bigger bust potential, and a bust at the Quarterback position for the Rams could mean bye bye St. Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by tfry View Post
                He hasn't shown up as much on the stat sheet as you'd like, but he's very active if you're watching the games, especially against the run. I think as he continues to learn some more pass rush technique, he'll have a good chance to grow and potentially be a special player.

Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
                Alex Barron is a very good Offensive Tackle.
                ...when he wants to be, which is the problem.

Anyone see the new mock? Sam Bradford......

I'm a Mizzou guy but I'm still a big Bradford fan. But with the Shoulder injuries, I don't know, I would rather take Clausen or Locker if they come out. I just think Bradford has bigger bust potential, and a bust at the Quarterback position for the Rams could mean bye bye St. Louis.
                The injuries worry me, sure. When you're going to drop $60-70 million on a new QB, you want to make sure he's going to be on the field. And it's not as if the AC joint has been Bradford's first collegiate injury. So durability is a concern. Right now I'd probably prefer Locker but I need to sit down and watch more of his games. I'm not really in love yet with any of these guys, and if the Rams end up feeling the same way come April, I hope they pass and take someone they are in love with, even if he's not a QB. This team needs a QB of the future, but that's no reason to take a QB just for the heck of it. Make sure he's the right guy, and if he is, then make the pick.

Comment

What's everyones thought on taking Eric Berry or Taylor Mays? I know the Rams have solid safeties, but I wouldn't call them elite safeties, and we've seen how an Elite Safety can change an Entire Defense (Bob Sanders, Troy Polamalu)

Comment

What's everyones thought on taking Eric Berry or Taylor Mays? I know the Rams have solid safeties, but I wouldn't call them elite safeties, and we've seen how an Elite Safety can change an Entire Defense (Bob Sanders, Troy Polamalu)
                    I think it would be tough to pull the trigger on either of them with a Top 3 pick, which is what the Rams appeared poised to have at this point. But I'd prefer Berry moreso than Mays, and I guess you could argue that if you let Atogwe walk, it's easier to draft Berry and give him a $50-60 million deal. Still, that's a lot for a rookie, especially a safety.

Comment

Originally posted by NGSeiler View Post
                      I think it would be tough to pull the trigger on either of them with a Top 3 pick, which is what the Rams appeared poised to have at this point. But I'd prefer Berry moreso than Mays, and I guess you could argue that if you let Atogwe walk, it's easier to draft Berry and give him a $50-60 million deal. Still, that's a lot for a rookie, especially a safety.
                      Yeah I'd prefer Berry over Mays as well. And I agree, it is tough to give a rookie Safety 50-60 million.

Comment

Anyone watch Suh tonight? Holy **** the dude is a beast.

Comment

Cards need to throw our game vs you so that you don't get Suh

Comment

Originally posted by fenikz View Post
                            Cards need to throw our game vs you so that you don't get Suh
                            How dare you sir.

Don't worry about it, I'm sure the Rams will find some way of screwing up there pick. Probably draft Sam Bradford with the 1st overall pick, then his arm will fall off.

Comment

I know Suh is great and all, but I just cant see you guys sticking with Bulger or Boller. Maybe you trade for a QB or sign one?(Brady Quinn? Jason Campbell?) but if Locker or Clausen declare you guys should take one.

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                              @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
                                I know Suh is great and all, but I just cant see you guys sticking with Bulger or Boller. Maybe you trade for a QB or sign one?(Brady Quinn? Jason Campbell?) but if Locker or Clausen declare you guys should take one.
                                I like Locker, or Pike in the 2nd.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information