The Official St. Louis Rams 2010 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of mock drafts with the Rams taking either Clausen or Bradford, and I really hope that doesn't happen. I know we need a real QB in a big way, but neither one of them is the guy. It it were Locker I would be more inclined to lean that way, but I'm not sold on Bradford's ability to stay healthy or Clausen's ability to lead a team.

What's influencing my thought even more is the play of Ndamakong Suh, the fabulous DT from Nebraska. I had heard a lot about him but didn't realize what people were saying until I saw him play a couple of times this year. He is as strong as most offensive linemen and runs like a linebacker. He appears to be technically sound and has that non-stop motor that is so hard to come by in defensive linemen. His pass-rushing skills are excellent for an interior defender. He's like Albert Haynesworth and Patrick Willis rolled into one.
    If we did take a Quarterback in the 1st, Bradford would be the only one I would want.

Comment

Anyone see SMU yesterday? While he plays a bit reckless, WR Emmanuel Sanders is definitely quick and super athletic. Could be a steal in the late rounds.

Comment

As I just mentioned somewhere else, I think this would be a pretty solid first two rounds of the draft:

Round 1: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
        We really need a franchise quarterback, and right now Clausen is probably the best QB in the draft. He has already played in a pro offense, and has leadership qualities. I know a lot of people won't like this choice, cause they'd rather have Suh (who I admit I would LOVE to have), but this is the right choice for us.
        Round 2: Mike Iupati, G, Idaho
        Now that we went out and got our quarterback of the future, it's time to make sure he's protected. Last year we drafted Smith, and assuming he can finally get over his concussions he should be a solid starting tackle with either Barron or Goldberg at the other tackle position. Then we already have our center solidified in Jason Brown. However, now that Incognito left, our guards are down to Bell, Greco and Setterstrom.

Possible future line:
        LT: Jason Smith (if he recovers, and proves himself in camp he could swing to LT)
        LG: Jacob Bell
        C: Jason Brown
        RG: Mike Iupati (plays LG in college, but could have him play RG?)
        RT: Barron/Goldberg
        Last edited by sdobbers; 12-25-2009, 11:15 PM.

Comment

I will be sadly disappointed if we pass on Suh.

I've been watching the Marshall-Ohio game today. Marshall has a LB named Mario Harvey that looks very impressive. 6'0" and 240 and he brings the wood.

Comment

Well, with the Bucs beating the Saints we are officially the #1 pick!!! With the way teams have been able to negotiate smaller contracts prior to the draft, I think this is a big plus.

Regarding the pick - I really don't see us passing on Suh. He is the perfect pick in my opinion. My perfect draft:

Rd 1 - Suh
            Rd 2 - Colt McCoy
            Rd 3 - Denario Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by tfry View Post
              Well, with the Bucs beating the Saints we are officially the #1 pick!!! With the way teams have been able to negotiate smaller contracts prior to the draft, I think this is a big plus.
              Actually I think a Rams win in Week 17 combined with a Lions loss gives Detroit the #1 pick. So it's not quite official yet.

Comment

Originally posted by tfry View Post
                Rd 1 - Suh
                Rd 2 - Colt McCoy
                Rd 3 - Denario Alexander
                What about...

Rd 1 - Suh
                Rd 2 - Everson Griffin
                Rd 3 - Denario Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by sdobbers View Post
                  What about...

Rd 1 - Suh
                  Rd 2 - Everson Griffin
                  Rd 3 - Denario Alexander
                  I like the first two, but a qb would be better at #3.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"

Comment

Originally posted by sdobbers View Post
                    What about...

Rd 1 - Suh
                    Rd 2 - Everson Griffin
                    Rd 3 - Denario Alexander
                    Suh for sure but drafting Griffen means giving up on Carriker doesnt it? I've stated before i'd draft Suh to play a 3-4 LDE move Long to OLB and play Carriker at RDE. Sort of like what they had in New England with Seymour and Vrabel.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                      Suh for sure but drafting Griffen means giving up on Carriker doesnt it? I've stated before i'd draft Suh to play a 3-4 LDE move Long to OLB and play Carriker at RDE. Sort of like what they had in New England with Seymour and Vrabel.
                      Idk about that, i had an interesting thought about it last night...move Carriker to RE on running downs (where he played in college) so that he doesn't get bowled over inside all game (which is my theory as to why he keeps getting hurt) and then move Long over to LE (he is very solid on running and keeps getting better at passing downs) and then on passing downs move Carriker inside and pair with Suh and then maybe find a pass-rusher to move in on third down to RE...just a thought about a different approach to our d-line next year
                      I'm doing a real job now...well, semi-real.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.

Comment

Carriker can't stay healthy, so the Rams shouldn't expect anything out of him at this point. If he proves them right, fine. But I think he's going to have to earn a 2010 roster spot this offseason.

And if he stays, IMO, he's still a tackle in the 4-3. I really don't see him as a good end for us, unless it's on the occasional short yardage run defense package. But Chris Long should be this team's LDE of the future, so Carriker can act as depth inside if he can earn that spot.

Comment

Suh looked like a #1 pick last night in the Holiday Bowl.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"

Comment

I would imagine Suh being your pick. Imagine how much it would help Laurinitis as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NGSeiler View Post
                              Carriker can't stay healthy, so the Rams shouldn't expect anything out of him at this point. If he proves them right, fine. But I think he's going to have to earn a 2010 roster spot this offseason.

And if he stays, IMO, he's still a tackle in the 4-3. I really don't see him as a good end for us, unless it's on the occasional short yardage run defense package. But Chris Long should be this team's LDE of the future, so Carriker can act as depth inside if he can earn that spot.
                              like I said, I think the main reason is that he was getting beaten up inside, normally you don't see guys play "bigger" when they move up a level...think about Long he played a 3-4 DE at Virginia and now hed be more a 3-4 OLB than a DE, I think Carriker needs a shot at DE to see...I'm not saying its going to change his career but I think it would make sense, espcially if we draft Suh, Carriker if anything is UT and Suh is better suited as a UT than NT anyway
                              I'm doing a real job now...well, semi-real.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.

Comment

People have been saying since Carriker was drafted that he's a 3-4 Defensive End and is playing out of position with the Rams. Which is why they need to call Scott Pioli and straight up offer Adam Carriker for Glenn Dorsey. (I know it won't happen) Both are playing out of position right now.

And I don't see Chris Long as a good 3-4 OLB, I think he's a perfect fit to play DE in a 4-3.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information