No announcement yet.

The Official St. Louis Rams 2010 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiper's first mock is out, and he has the Rams taking...

1. St. Louis Rams
    Record: 1-15

Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
    Nobody questions that the top need for the Rams is a quarterback. But unless St. Louis trades down -- an extremely difficult proposition on multiple levels -- it shouldn't take a quarterback with its first pick. Suh is maybe the most dominating defensive tackle I've seen in 32 years of doing this. He can be effective immediately for the Rams, and they may address the QB with a trade.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...ory?id=4841432
    (have to be an insider to see the whole draft, but the Rams' pick is available to all)

Comment

• Originally posted by NGSeiler View Post
      I'd be shocked if they didn't tender him at a first round value. They franchised him last year, so there's no reason to think they won't at least tender him at a reasonably high level.
      Which tender? 3.1 million or the 2.4 million. Did the safety play drop off when he went down for the year? Just something to think about from a FO standpoint also.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
        Which tender? 3.1 million or the 2.4 million. Did the safety play drop off when he went down for the year? Just something to think about from a FO standpoint also.
        Atogwe wasn't having a great year, so I'm not sure how big of a dropoff there was whenever he left the line-up. But the Rams' depth at safety is not stellar, and again, I don't see much reason to not tender him with at least a first round value.

Do you envision a team giving him an offer sheet if he's tendered at a first round value (not first and third)?

Comment

• Originally posted by NGSeiler View Post
          Atogwe wasn't having a great year, so I'm not sure how big of a dropoff there was whenever he left the line-up. But the Rams' depth at safety is not stellar, and again, I don't see much reason to not tender him with at least a first round value.

Do you envision a team giving him an offer sheet if he's tendered at a first round value (not first and third)?
          Not coming off a season where he was put on the IR. I don't know how much they value him...but lowest tender would net a 3rd round pick since he was drafted there. That'd be a ballsy move. Just curious on what you guys thought. Thanks for the input.

Comment

• Scott was on Scout Radio yesterday (podcast here), and about half an hour into the broadcast, the Rams came up. Towards the end of the discussion, while Scott thought the quarterback situation was a big question mark for St. Louis, he let it slip that his next mock would have the Rams selecting Ndamukong Suh.

Comment

• Mike Mayock on Suh, McCoy and Clausen......

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...g_suh_and.html

Mike Mayock, the highly regarded draft analyst from the NFL Network, had a conference call today with the media and he made it clear that he believes defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh (Nebraska) and Gerald McCoy (Oklahoma) are the two best players available in the draft.

The Detroit Lions have the second overall pick in the draft and are likely to end up with either Suh and McCoy. Mayock said he believes the two players have different skills but are equally as valuable.

Mayock said Suh reminds him of a Kevin Williams (Minnesota Vikings) but might be even better. Mayock believes Suh is a little stronger in the run game while McCoy is a better pass rusher. However, the differences are small and both players offer the complete package.

I asked Mayock if there's any chance that a quarterback could move into that first overall pick and he said it was highly doubtful.

"I think it's a big reach,'' Mayock said. "The logical guy is (Oklahoma's Sam) Bradford. I'm not a big (Jimmy) Clausen fan. No way in the world in my mind -that's today, I've still got a lot more work to do on Bradford. Those two players (Suh and McCoy) just dwarf the quarterback issue.''

Comment

• There's just so much variance of opinion on Jimmy Clausen. Obviously QB is a more important position than DT, so the Rams don't necessarily have to think he's as good of a prospect as Suh for Clausen to be the pick. On the flip side, new head coaches generally have a lot more success when they come to a team where the players match the scheme the coach likes to implement. Since the Rams don't have nearly the defensive line that the Giants did, it's understandable why the defense didn't perform very well last season. Spags needs some legitimate talent on the defensive line for his scheme to work, and until he gets that, the defense is going to struggle. Getting a solid lineman in the first two or three rounds is our second biggest need behind getting a QB.

Comment

• Solid article about the Rams' options at the QB position...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...5?OpenDocument

Comment

• Originally posted by JMAX12 View Post
                    news from espn.com
                    its rumored that a deal for vick could happen.
                    which would make suh the #1 pick
                    Why would acquiring Vick preclude the Rams from taking a QB at #1 overall or near the top?

Comment

• we shouldnt pick a qb at 1 anyways, if we get a qb through freeagency or trade it would be to draft Suh. and besides, there are manyyy qbs that have tons of potential and skills that are projected later in the draft

Comment

• http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzon...-head-trainer/

The St. Louis Rams have named Reggie Scott as their new head athletic trainer, replacing Jim Anderson who was fired last month.

Scott comes to the Rams from the Carolina Panthers where he was assistant athletic trainer to Ryan Vermillion.

“He’s a young guy with some juice who we think will be a good fit,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said.

One of the attractions of Scott, Spagnuolo said, is that he thought he would work well with young trainers James Lomax and Tyler Williams, who were retained by the Rams and whom Spagnuolo thinks highly of.

All told, Spagnuolo interviewed four candidates for the job. Still to be filled is an assistant athletic trainer’s job held previously by Dake Walden, who also was let go by Spagnuolo.
                        Good hiring I guess. Never really understood the firing of Jim Anderson.

Comment

• According to Howard Balzer's Twitter, Marc Bulger has cleaned out his locker at Rams Park...

http://twitter.com/HBalzer721

EDIT: Schefter has an update on his Twitter...

"Rams QB Marc Bulger did not clean out his locker. Rams equipment men did, just as they cleaned out everyone's locker at end of year."
                          Last edited by NGSeiler; 02-16-2010, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• The Philadelphia Eagles haven't initiated any talks to trade quarterback Michael Vick, and they might not this spring, but that doesn't preclude them from doing so at some point.

The Eagles have until the first week of the league year -- which begins March 5 -- to deal Vick before having to pay him a $1.5 million roster bonus. A deal before then might be unlikely because the Eagles haven't called other teams about Vick, according to league sources.

Sources from two teams who would be in the market for a quarterback said they don't expect Vick to be dealt until the preseason. That's when his value could be enhanced by strong preseason performances, a full offseason of work with his team and injuries/uncertainty at quarterback on other teams.
                            http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Comment

• Quoting from Rotoworld since I can't link to the actual ESPN Insider article...

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports that Rams scouts "are becoming increasingly convinced" that Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh is the best player in the draft.

Pasquarelli acknowledges that it's a "relatively close call" between Suh and Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy, but the Rams reportedly believe that Suh has the potential to make Chris Long and Adam Carriker better. Drafting Suh to play the "three technique" position next to NT Cliff Ryan might allow the Rams to move Carriker out to end on early downs, helping the team's run defense. Carriker, though, wouldn't be a big sack threat rushing off the edge.

Comment

• A dominating DT makes the whole defense better, not just two players. And I pray they don't move Carriker to DE, he'd be terrible IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information