Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
    I don' think Atogwe's loss is that big.

He gets turnovers and was a leader in the locker room, but he made bucketloads of mistakes, not a great tackler, not good in coverage and his interceptions weren't really good game skills just good fortune imo, Tipped passes right to him etc.

I think we can easily replace him.
    I'm rather confused when fans display this kind of analysis of Atogwe. Sure, he wasn't elite. But he was clearly the best safety on this team, and arguably the best or second best DB, depending on where you stand on Bartell. Now the Rams are going to either have to replace him with [a] Darian Stewart, [b] a free agent whom is going to be a downgrade (unless his name is Weddle), or [c] a draft pick that could have been spent addressing another need area on this team.

And who knows if any of those guys are going to be better than O.J. was. James Butler was supposed to be the solution to the Rams' hole at strong safety; I remember liking the signing at the time because of his fit and familiarity with Spags' system. Yet Butler has struggled and isn't even a starter. So much for system fit. Frankly, I think fans who are ambivalent about Atogwe's departure may be forgetting the days when Kim Herring, Jason Sehorn, and Rich Coady lined up as this team's starting free safety.

Personally, I'm not looking forward to going back to uncertainty at the position. Given the fact that the Rams are entering Year Three of the DeSpags era and still have a hole at strong safety, I'm not entirely sure how much confidence to put in this team's ability to find a replacement who is just as good if not better than the player they just let walk.

Comment

who are some players that you would like the rams to take on day two, or even later?
      with all this talk about safety what if rahim moore drops to us?
      i personally really hope we end up with 'quizz rodgers

Comment

Originally posted by JMAX12 View Post
        who are some players that you would like the rams to take on day two, or even later?
        The two safeties I really like in this draft are Tyler Sash and Quinton Carter.

Another guy I like is Bruce Carter the outside line backer from North Carolina who has first round talent but a torn ACL and the inability to do any workouts before the draft could push him down in the draft to that late 2nd-early 3rd round range.

Comment

Originally posted by JMAX12 View Post
          One guy I like in the 3rd or 4th would be DeAndre McDaniels, I got a feeling a lot of good safeties are going to slide, not one seems really spectacular. Morris I like but he might be a late 2nd rd guy . A late round prospect i like is Keo out of Idaho. He should be worth a look in the 6th or 7th. Also there is a good chance a RB like Murray or Williams could slide to day 3 b/c of past injuries. The rams need somebody to share the load with Jackson, we seen what happened to guys like Eddie George who gets run into the ground.

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Originally posted by Raheem Morris
          Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.

Comment

Scott updated his mock draft.

He has the Rams taking Julio Jones the Receiver from Alabama in round one, and Danny Watkins the Offensive Guard from Baylor in round two.

Thoughts?

Comment

No problems with the Julio Jones pick. If he's there I believe the Rams take him. While guard is a need I don't see the Rams passing up either Christian Ballard or Rahim Moore as both defensive tackle and safety are arguably bigger needs. That said on the Danny Watkins pick, even though he is a great player with all the attributes they need in a guard (athletic, strong, physical) I cannot see them taking a 27-year-old rookie, which makes him older than John Greco, who coaches/officials are still interested in developing.

Comment

I did a Rams mock in early February that had this combination, so I'm down with a Jones/Watkins two-round combo. Both areas are needs and in both instances the Rams are taking one of the best players available.

With Moore, my concern would be whether he's versatile enough for Spags' system, as Spags seems to prefer someone who can both cover but also get up in the box and make some plays. As for Ballard vs. Watkins, I'd probably take the 2nd or 3rd best interior OL prospect over, say, the 12th best DL prospect.

If it were Paea or Liuget there, then I think you'd have to go DL. But I'm not so impressed by Ballard that I'd pass on someone like Watkins, who has really flashed some ability and would immediately improve the Rams' weak interior.

Comment

I could get on board with Jones then Watkins. Would concern me that we'd still have to fill the FS, DT and WLB starter spots in the 3rd round onwards. However, if you offered me that draft right now, I'd be seriously tempted to take it. Guess it would depend on how high they actually are on Greco.

Comment

Man looking at the Mock draft again it sure would be nice to have Bruce Carter or Martez Wilson slide down a few spots! :)

But with if the draft falls like Scott has it, I think Watkins is probably the best choice. The only two other players I would want are Rahim Moore or Mikel Leshoure.

Comment

I'm huge on Bruce Carter, Jones then Carter would probably be my ideal draft for the first 2 rounds. There's obviously a bit of a risk there (you could argue on both considering the amount of niggly things Jones has gone through at Alabama), but I loved his play before the injury. As Mayock said 'top 15 talent', I wouldn't argue about that.

Lions could easily be a huge issue in getting Carter though. Here's hoping a CB prospect drops if they don't get one at #13. If he's gone, I wouldn't mind Mason Foster in the 3rd.

Comment

I think the Rams would have to trade up past Washington to get Jones, no way he falls to #14. If they do trade up you can kiss the 2nd rounder goodbye.
                        And proud of it!!!

Comment

New Scott Mock:
                          1. Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
                          2. Jon Baldwin, WR, Pitt
                          3. Virgil Green, TE, Nevada

First round, no problems. I'd probably prefer Kerrigan as a player but if Spags and the front office like Smith better they're the experts so I wouldn't complain. I don't really like Baldwin as a prospect and don't think the Rams would go WR in round 2 since the only need is really for a clear no.1. Baldwin's too much of a risk and will take just as much development as those currently on the roster (with a higher ceiling). Would love Bruce Carter to fall one more spot, but would even be happy with Mason Foster, as I think he's the second best 4-3 OLB in the draft. Do not like the Green pick at all. He's really not much better than Hoomanawanui (and probably worse) so its basically a wasted pick. Give me a Will Rackley, Colin McCarthy or Quinton Carter and at least fill a need.

Comment

Agreed, first round is A-OK for me. Smith is one of my top choices if Green and Jones are off the board. But it falls apart after that. Baldwin does not fit the character profile the Rams look for, and a third round tight end doesn't bring much to this team IMO.

Comment

There was a story on stltoday.com on Will Rackley, sounds like the Rams really like the kid.

Yoda and I are in the middle of a forum mock. So far we have made three selections. Aldon Smith, Titus Young and Greg Jones.

The 2nd round selection was a tough call, Torrey Smith, Marvin Austin and Titus Young were all on the board. I have Titus ranked higher than a lot of people do, he's 3rd on my list for Receivers.

Comment

Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
                                The 2nd round selection was a tough call, Torrey Smith, Marvin Austin and Titus Young were all on the board. I have Titus ranked higher than a lot of people do, he's 3rd on my list for Receivers.
                                I think Smith and Young have close enough potential and work needed that the Rams would go with the higher character/lesser problem-maker and take Smith if they were to take one. That said Smith looks a lot like Donnie Avery

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information