Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ Which could then, in turn, effect how we draft this year (Jackson or Gilbert anyone?)
    Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

• I don't want to deal with the contract Peppers would command personally. The price would be right to experiment with him as a linebacker in that scenario in terms of trade value, but the contract would be punishing.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• ESPN Radio said that Peppers can talk to any team he wants to.
        Including contract request-
        I doubt the Pats would initiate trade talks before knowing what his asking price is.

I agree that Seymour might not be able to be retained...
        so draft Kruger/Gilbert/Jackson now and let him learn behind our studs
        -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• If we get Peppers, we're not keeping Seymour. I would kinda rather have Seymour over Peppers.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I'm just glad the Pats had good reason for moving Cassel so quick. The Peppers talks were likely ongoing the entire time.

Good article on Patriots.com about the available safeties. I already want William Moore, but I know a few of you aren't sold. Read the few paragraphs in this article on him and see if that doesn't sway your opinion.

Delmas is listed as a 3rd round guy. ??
            Last edited by FlyingElvis; 03-17-2009, 11:45 AM.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• Interesting that there's no Rashad Johnson there...

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I forgot about him . . . maybe they did, too?

Schefter said on WEEI yesterday that he's 99.9% sure Peppers will not be a Patriot. I really hope not. His talent is insane but his contract would completely kill the "Patriot Way" when Mankins, Seymour and Wilfork come due next year.

If they really go after him they need to extend Vince & Logan ASAP so they don't see a huge contract go to Peppers before signing.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                  I'm just glad the Pats had good reason for moving Cassel so quick. The Peppers talks were likely ongoing the entire time.

Good article on Patriots.com about the available safeties. I already want William Moore, but I know a few of you aren't sold. Read the few paragraphs in this article on him and see if that doesn't sway your opinion.

Delmas is listed as a 3rd round guy. ??
                  yea that article must be really old to list delmas as a third rounder. maybe they were mostly looking at SS. Delmas has the versatility to play both, along with Moore, and Chung would almost always be a SS. Rashard Johnson would be a FS without a doubt. maybe they know something we dont and figure meriwether to be used exclusively at FS this year haha

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

• It is odd . . . mostly because it is dated as 3/12.

Comment

Schefter said on WEEI yesterday that he's 99.9% sure Peppers will not be a Patriot. I really hope not. His talent is insane but his contract would completely kill the "Patriot Way" when Mankins, Seymour and Wilfork come due next year.
                      As much as I don't like it, I think it's more 50/50 as to if we land Peppers at this point. We would lose out on Seymour next year and Wilfork and Mankins wouldn't be sure things either. Just don't think he's worth that.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I don't think bringing in Peppers means anyone in particular is out the door. They've worked really hard to keep that front 3 together. What Peppers would mean to the defense is worth the risk, though.
                        ________
                        HEADSHOP
                        Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• ^ You're missing the point, I think.

In order to get Peppers the Patriots will have to pay a huge contract - basically paying him as one of the best at his position. Once they do that for him the other players who are also among the best at their positions (Wilfork, Seymour & Mankins) will expect that they will be paid accordingly as well.

So Peppers won't just cost us his top dollar salary, he will also make it impossible for the Pats to then ask those guys to take less than top dollar. It would be an extremely expensive ripple effect.

Comment

• The only thing that could save us is the potential of an uncapped year. We'll see if we're willing to shell out that much dough though. Without a cap, we'll see some enormous salaries being thrown around so it wouldn't be that easy.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

^ You're missing the point, I think.

In order to get Peppers the Patriots will have to pay a huge contract - basically paying him as one of the best at his position. Once they do that for him the other players who are also among the best at their positions (Wilfork, Seymour & Mankins) will expect that they will be paid accordingly as well.

So Peppers won't just cost us his top dollar salary, he will also make it impossible for the Pats to then ask those guys to take less than top dollar. It would be an extremely expensive ripple effect.
                              That's speculatory. You can't not make a move that could net you a championship this year in fear of maybe losing a player. There are so many other factors such as cuts and the draft...

To miss out on a unique guy like Peppers, who will play a position that is tough to fill these days because you're scared of losing a player at a very easy-to-replace position (OG, 3-4 DE) is just stupid.
                              ________
                              RacingGirl
                              Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
                                That's speculatory. You can't not make a move that could net you a championship this year in fear of maybe losing a player. There are so many other factors such as cuts and the draft...

To miss out on a unique guy like Peppers, who will play a position that is tough to fill these days because you're scared of losing a player at a very easy-to-replace position (OG, 3-4 DE) is just stupid.
                                Assuming we have a capped year next year, Peppers being among the highest paid defensive players in the league would all but eliminate our chances of resigning Seymour. Completely disagree with your assessment on 3-4 DE's. They're not something that's easy to replace. You get one or two per draft class and they aren't always good ones.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information