This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
    The thing is that pretty much anyone can fit in somewhere on the Patriots. Alex Smith has no qualities that would make him better than, say, Rex Grossman in New England (who I would actually like to see here.) Kyle Boller would have been nice, he's always played well against the Patriots and he has a big arm as well.
    Not any QB can fit with the Pats. Grossman and Boller would be awful because they lack accuracy and the ability to make intelligent decisions with the ball.

Comment

• Cowboys are trying to trade OLB G. Ellis. Pats have been informed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4199484
      -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Originally posted by Nalej View Post
        Cowboys are trying to trade OLB G. Ellis. Pats have been informed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4199484
        That is a move that I think we all would be happy with. Ellis would be a nice pickup, I'm not against adding Burgess but Ellis would be a much better move. Adding a vet LB like Ellis would be a typical Pats move, he is 33 but he still has something left in the tank. Stats don't tell it all but he had 8 sacks (4.5 in his last 6 games) and a pick last year, pretty solid considering Dallas' depth at LB and Ware was probably getting to the QB before him a lot.

I really support any effort we are trying to make in bolstering our linebacking corps in general, especially the pass rush.
        Last edited by Don Vito; 05-22-2009, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• I agree. I like the idea of adding Ellis over Burgess.

Comment

• Pats going after Tinoisomoa

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast

Comment

• I was searching all the threads in the NFL forum and I couldn't believe that this didn't have it's own thread but the Patriots acquired LB Paris Lenon

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...acquire-lenon/

Absolutely huge news. If we weren't certain favourites for the superbowl before, we definitely are now

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

• decent depth pickup I guess. we have very little ILB depth
                Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

• The problem I have is it mighn't be just depth. He will probably challenge Bruschi for starting beside Mayo if he picks up the system quick enough. I mean this was a guy people where calling for Detroit to bench

Comment

• They were also calling for Bodden's head though, no? He wasn't playing with much in Detroit, that is for sure. If he can provide some valuable depth, get some reps on defense if he can learn the system and proves to be effective, then why not? Other than Bruschi and Mayo, we have Guyton, Appleby and him.
                    Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigburt63 View Post
                      They were also calling for Bodden's head though, no? He wasn't playing with much in Detroit, that is for sure. If he can provide some valuable depth, get some reps on defense if he can learn the system and proves to be effective, then why not? Other than Bruschi and Mayo, we have Guyton, Appleby and him.
                      Yea that's true about Bodden but he had performed at a high level before, whereas Lenon not so much. Im not annoyed or anything by the move its just kinda meh...

I'd really prefer to integrate Guyton into the defense more

Comment

• Personally I would have waited for Greg Ellis. Lenon can't play outside and I don't think he's a huge upgrade over a combo of Bruschi/Guyton. He racked up tackles last year on a bad team so I guess he's a decent pickup. This kind of reminds me of the Monty Beisel signing - someone who doesn't really fit great in the defense. He's coming from a fast, attack kind of defense. Also not really a fan of stealing players from an 0-16 team.

Comment

• Lenon's an solid possibility at ILB. Doesn't mean crap in regard to what else they might do with the Burgess/Ellis possibilities. Lenon really didn't fit in Detroit. Could be a good backup for the Patriots.

Comment

• Lenon is nothing spectacluar but we definitely needed another body inside. I still want us to look at an outside guy like Ellis/Burgess though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
                              Lenon is nothing spectacluar but we definitely needed another body inside. I still want us to look at an outside guy like Ellis/Burgess though.
                              I agree completely. I wouldn't trade much for either of those guys but I would also like to see them on the team. Either should be good for 6-7 sacks. Hopefully this year is the year Adalius Thomas plays a full season though, because he's had some bad luck the past two seasons. First Belichick played him out of place at inside linebacker (where he was only okay) and only switched him after an injury to Rosevelt Colvin, then he got hurt. One thing to keep in mind - in his last 16 starts at outside linebacker (including playoffs), Thomas has 10.5 sacks and three forced fumbles.

This year, the pass rush might be on Belichick though. In 2007, Mike Vrabel got a lot of sacks just due to the scheme - the way plays went down, he'd have a clear path to the quarterback on a lot of his sacks, it was just a case of him running up and making the tackle without having to fight through any blocks. If Adalius Thomas looks dangerous at the beginning of the season, I think that'd be a big opening for whoever's starting on the other side to pick up some sacks. Whether that's Banta-Cain or Crable or Woods or someone else remains to be seen.

Something else I should mention is that I was pretty disappointed that Jerod Mayo's speed wasn't really utilized on blitzes last year. He's not exactly a stud in pass coverage, either, so I don't see why he'd have to keep dropping back when he could potentially pick up some sacks from the inside, which would also add another dimension to the blitz. If you're going to take someone in the top 10 at linebacker for a 3-4 defense, I think you'd like to see them pick up some sacks as well. So far he's been one of the better players on the defense, but he doesn't make a ton of big plays. I don't think he recorded a sack or an interception all season.

Also, just a note on Lenon - he's got a one year, $800,000 contract ($750,000 base, $50,000 bonus.) Not a bad deal for New England.

Comment

• I think Mayo will have to used more as a blitzer next year simply because I don't think there will be enough of a push on the outside. As far as him making big plays I think he only had one fumble recovery last year but he has said that he didn't have a full grasp of the defense and got by a lot last year on speed and athletic ability. With a full offseason under his belt I expect a lot more dynamic plays from him. Another way I see more pressure on the QB is if the Pats do go to a 3 safety look like was talked about in another thread Merriweather is a good blitzer. A casing point would be the play against Seattle when he sacked Wallace and forced a fumble which closed out the game

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information