This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
    Ok. A 5th - and probably 2010 6th or 7th in return - for a KR/special teams guy . . . w/e lol
    Doesn't make much sense to me either considering that 5th rounder would have been perfect to pickup a fullback. I guess it does just get filed under whatever haha.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Greg Lewis is a great deep threat, which is what the Pats needed. Dude gets down field in a hurry and is often forgotten. Getting him and a 2010 pick for a 2009 pick sounds solid. It doesn't take them out of the running to select a WR, though. Just gets them a piece they really needed.

Signing Springs was huge. I like both Wilhite and Wheatley, but the Pats really needed to add a proven veteran like Springs (or McAlister) who's been around and done some things (and can still play).

Retaining James Sanders was also huge. While he's been dissappointing relative to what his potential was/is perceived to be, he's still possibly better than anyone in this draft and could be better than any available FA's...

Losing Evans sucks. Doesn't mean they need a FB, though...they use Hochstein for the rare amount of lead blocking they employ anyway...just means they need to fill another big hole on special teams. Izzo, Evans, and Washington were their best ST players, and they might lose all 3 of them.
      ________
      How to roll a joint
      Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
        Retaining James Sanders was also huge. While he's been dissappointing relative to what his potential was/is perceived to be, he's still possibly better than anyone in this draft and could be better than any available FA's...
        I agree that bringing Sanders back was a good move, but I think William Moore, Rashad Johnson, and really any number of the second round safeties you want to throw out there could be both potentially better and better right away. Sanders is decent, but we could still use an upgrade. Makes so it isn't a glaring hole though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Did we trade our 47th pick to the Dolphins?
          I'm seeing the Dolphins pickin in that spot in recent mock drafts

????
          -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Nevermind. I figured it out
            -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
              Greg Lewis is a great deep threat, which is what the Pats needed. Dude gets down field in a hurry and is often forgotten. Getting him and a 2010 pick for a 2009 pick sounds solid. It doesn't take them out of the running to select a WR, though. Just gets them a piece they really needed.

Signing Springs was huge. I like both Wilhite and Wheatley, but the Pats really needed to add a proven veteran like Springs (or McAlister) who's been around and done some things (and can still play).

Losing Evans sucks. Doesn't mean they need a FB, though...they use Hochstein for the rare amount of lead blocking they employ anyway...just means they need to fill another big hole on special teams. Izzo, Evans, and Washington were their best ST players, and they might lose all 3 of them.
              I agree with all these points - I can see Greg Lewis doing what Donte Stallworth was able to do for us in 2007. He's not a steal by any means, but here's the basis of why New England traded for him (just so people can see things the way Belichick did when he made the trade):

- Fairly young player who should be entering his prime soon
              - Great deep threat, has a very high career yards per catch
              - Has performed very well against the Patriots over his career
              - Can stretch the field opposite Moss and prey on 1-on-1 coverage
              - Potential replacement for Kelley Washington on kick/punt teams
              - Cheap contract that comes out to only about 3 years, $1.8 million

Basically, they're willing to sacrifice the fifth round pick to get an affordable project at wide receiver. It's likely in this market that New England would have had to vastly overpay to address wide receiver in free agency - look at how much money people spent on Houshmandzadeh, Owens, Coles, Washington, etc. - and this is more cap-friendly. Plus, it's not like a fifth round pick really has a spectacular chance at making the roster either.

Comment

• Guys I am a Patriots fan who has been living here outside of Philly for 10 years now. Greg Lewis is not a difference maker. He is not a field stretcher. He has absollutely NO special teams value. He did not dress the second half of the season because 6 guys the Eagles had were better wrs and COULD play somewhere on special teams. He is no better than 50-50 to make the roster next year. That is why the Patriots are getting back the 7th rounder next year. It is essentially a 5 for a 7 and a shot in the dark on lewis contributing. No way he has Stallworth-like impact.
                Last edited by luckyjackaubrey; 03-10-2009, 05:21 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by luckyjackaubrey View Post
                  Guys I am a Patriots fan who has been living here outside of Philly for 10 years now. Greg Lewis is not a difference maker. He is not a field stretcher. He has absollutely NO special teams value. He did not dress the second half of the season because 6 guys the Eagles had were better wrs and COULD play somewhere on special teams. He is no better than 50-50 to make the roster next year. That is why the Patriots are getting back the 7th rounder next year. It is essentially a 5 for a 7 and a shot in the dark on lewis contributing. No way he has Stallworth-like impact.
                  Yeah, I agree.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Greg Lewis is good when he's forgotten...which can only happen when you have an elite WR or two on the field with him. There's no one on the Eagles that gets doubled because they're all basically the same level of receiver. The Pats have 2 guys that get doubled, making Greg Lewis useful.
                    ________
                    black girl Webcam
                    Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Leigh Bodden is a Pat, love the move. He has had some injuries but he is 27 and has a ton of ability, he had some good seasons in Cleveland too. Hopefully he and Springs can stay healthy and perform well, pushing Hobbs to nickel and Wilhite and Wheatley behind him. Corner is not as much of a need but we still may take one on the first day, you never know.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshoota25 View Post
                        just saw on espn.com that the patriots have just signed leigh bodden. pretty sweet, got two veteran corners.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3968052

link

Hope you don't mind the cross thread qoute, but this seemed like it belongs in this thread.

I like this signing, and would have been happy w/Bodden getting a multi year deal on a "buy low" basis. A terrible year with the Lions doesn't seem like a good guage of his skills to me. Either way, it looks like a draft spot just opened up for O or D line. Or the more likely scenario of a trade for picks in 2010.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• I think we're a better team with Bodden than without him but I'm not that excited about this...he signed a one-year deal at the veteran minimum making me think there might be something that the whole league knows about this guy that isn't so good (i.e. one of his many injuries catching up to him?) .

I hope he can return to his 2005-2006 glory days in cleveland but something tells me that if people thought that scenario was even remotely possible, he'd be getting more than a 1 year minimum wage deal...

Comment

• we're definitely getting one of the corners Day 1, hopefully Byrd...I don't really like any of the other top corner prospects outside of Vontae Davis (who we probably don't have a shot at) because they're all shorter than 5'10.

Comment

• Originally posted by cdf_2108 View Post
                              I think we're a better team with Bodden than without him but I'm not that excited about this...he signed a one-year deal at the veteran minimum making me think there might be something that the whole league knows about this guy that isn't so good (i.e. one of his many injuries catching up to him?) .

I hope he can return to his 2005-2006 glory days in cleveland but something tells me that if people thought that scenario was even remotely possible, he'd be getting more than a 1 year minimum wage deal...
                              True, but the reward greatly outweighs the risk in this signing. He is still relatively young and if he can stay healthy he could be a contributor.

Comment

• Agreed, the pats are definitely being prudent and I don't think this is a big risk at all--Let's hope it works out.

I'm surprised the patriots haven't made moves for guys like Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt, maybe these high profile guys aren't as satisfied with the market they're getting. They seem like patriot-personality guys.
                                Last edited by cdf_2108; 03-10-2009, 05:42 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information