The Pats Big 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geo View Post
    I've been wondering if the Pats look hard at Tyson Jackson.
    Names I've heard that have been surrounding the Pats are Brandon Pettigrew and Rashad Johnson.

Comment

No ILB anywhere in there, Electric? Was that an oversight, or are you expecting one of the young guys to be the long term solution alongside Mayo?

I have to bump that OLB spot up, though. You're right on that one, since Vrabel & Thomas are both up there in age. Even if one of the young guys becomes a solid long term solution (c'mon Crable!!) we still need a second OLB and I'm not convinced Woods is anything more than a special teams guy.

Amended version:

Absolute must = S & ILB
      Need = TE RT OLB
      Need by 2010 = DE DT (draft or re-sign)
      Jury still out = HB CB

(OT changed to RT for accuracy)

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

If Tyson Jackson somehow fell to #48, I don't see anyway they can pass him up... To lock up a guy like that for 4 years at a 2nd round pick's salary? No brainer. I don't see how he falls there though... It will be interesting to see what happens with Matt Cassel. I think the Pats definitely will want Jackson at the right spot, but at #23, they have huge possibilities staring them in the face... Adding depth might not be an option.
        ________
        Novana Residence Condo Pattaya
        Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
          No ILB anywhere in there, Electric? Was that an oversight, or are you expecting one of the young guys to be the long term solution alongside Mayo?

I have to bump that OLB spot up, though. You're right on that one, since Vrabel & Thomas are both up there in age. Even if one of the young guys becomes a solid long term solution (c'mon Crable!!) we still need a second OLB and I'm not convinced Woods is anything more than a special teams guy.

Amended version:

Absolute must = S & ILB
          Need = TE RT OLB
          Need by 2010 = DE DT (draft or re-sign)
          Jury still out = HB CB

(OT changed to RT for accuracy)
          I just don't see ILB as a need right now. I don't really get why people think it's such a pressing need. We already got our super star at the position in Mayo last year. All we really need now in a thumper who can play the Ted Johnson/Tedy Bruschi role. Don't think it's even a direct "need" right now either. Vrabel is a much better fit inside than outside right now. I suppose if I had to, I would say that it's a need for 2010, but I think the best option is for us to draft a young OLB who can rush the passer and put Vrabel inside for the time being.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

hhmmm . . . maybe. I suppose a combo of Vrabel & Tedy inside w/Mayo would work, but that would only be a one year solution. I guess it comes down to the youth on the roster at the outside spots with no names at all on the roster for the inside. But you're saying it's not a pressing need followed by saying 'we need a thumper' to go with Mayo.

I'm not saying trade the farm to get a blue chipper, but it has to be a day one consideration. With some depth at the position this year I'd like to see it done this April.

Comment

hhmmm . . . maybe. I suppose a combo of Vrabel & Tedy inside w/Mayo would work, but that would only be a one year solution. I guess it comes down to the youth on the roster at the outside spots with no names at all on the roster for the inside. But you're saying it's not a pressing need followed by saying 'we need a thumper' to go with Mayo.

I'm not saying trade the farm to get a blue chipper, but it has to be a day one consideration. With some depth at the position this year I'd like to see it done this April.
              I don't even think it would be a combo though. Vrabel isn't an outside linebacker anymore. He's most a step. He's fine inside where he can just come up and hit put I don't trust him with the responsibility of being a full time OLB anymore. He's played inside for the entire year(for the most part anyway) a couple of years ago.

I defiantly think we need a thumper type, but guys like that are pretty easy to find. Don't think we have to worry about it this year. It might be nice to pickup some depth at that position this year, but I don't think we have to take an inside linebacker anywhere before the fourth round. Jaspar Brinkley would be the perfect guy to get, IMO. At the very least, gives us a bit of depth and could probably start in a couple years.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Vrabel is definitely done at OLB. The problem is he was pushed around quite a bit when he was moved inside. But perhaps Mayo is enough to offset that. When it was Tedy & Vrabel inside together it was . . . painful to watch.

Ok, I'm off to review the ILB prospects then.

Comment

Well Crable is the type of player that can play either inside or outside in a 3-4. Brian Cushing fits that mold as well if you were looking at 2009 draft prospects. I'd like Clay Matthews, but it looks like he'll be overdrafted.
                  ________
                  Live Sex Webshows

Comment

So few ILB would fit the pats, ie how are they at taking on blockers? That's difficult to project from someone in a 4-3 who didn't have to do it.

Jaspar Brinkley comes to mind. He has the size anyway.

Not sure how he is in coverage.

Comment

Vrabel is definitely done at OLB. The problem is he was pushed around quite a bit when he was moved inside. But perhaps Mayo is enough to offset that. When it was Tedy & Vrabel inside together it was . . . painful to watch.

Ok, I'm off to review the ILB prospects then.
                      He did? I don't know. I think he handled it quite well. He hasn't been asked to do it extensively since AT came to town, but I really thought Vrabel was at his best when he was playing inside, outside of a couple years ago when he really went off.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

The year before Thomas was brought in, right? I recall the run D being very soft up the middle. EDIT: maybe I'm thinking wrong here . . . maybe it was when Rosy got hurt and Thomas had to move outside. I'll have to look into it more.

Anyway - I'm looking around the draft forum section for something along the lines of a dedicated LB prospect discussion. Unsuccessful so far . . . is there something like that on the forum? Or is it all player by player, mocks, and stock falling/rising?

Or should I just complete the thread jack and ask here? :)

Basically I'm curious about LBs (ILB & OLB) value by round and D type. Who will fit the Pats 3-4 vs. a Tampa 2 type guy, and who would be the always favored "versatile" guy that could project as ILB or OLB. (--> Cushing?)

Comment

The year before Thomas was brought in, right? I recall the run D being very soft up the middle. EDIT: maybe I'm thinking wrong here . . . maybe it was when Rosy got hurt and Thomas had to move outside. I'll have to look into it more.

Anyway - I'm looking around the draft forum section for something along the lines of a dedicated LB prospect discussion. Unsuccessful so far . . . is there something like that on the forum? Or is it all player by player, mocks, and stock falling/rising?

Or should I just complete the thread jack and ask here? :)

Basically I'm curious about LBs (ILB & OLB) value by round and D type. Who will fit the Pats 3-4 vs. a Tampa 2 type guy, and who would be the always favored "versatile" guy that could project as ILB or OLB. (--> Cushing?)
                          AT played inside that year. That's why he was a nonfactor as a passrusher. He was playing out of position, and personally I was never quite so clear why. There was a lot of discussion about it on this forum, but I'm not sure where it all went. Probably pruned.

Vrabel played inside on and off for the years before. It's really hard to say. In his hundred tackle season he spent a fair amount of time inside.

As far as linebackers go, I'll come up with a list of guys I think could be a decent fit for us inside in a bit. Have to go resolve some personal issues, but I'll be sure to get back to you on that.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I'd appreciate that.

I expect a full report on my desk in the morning, and don't forget the cover sheet.

:)

Comment

I'd appreciate that.

I expect a full report on my desk in the morning, and don't forget the cover sheet.

:)
                              Dont forget to file those for me since you're my Admin Asst. ;)

and STOP JACKING OFF IN MY THREAD

focus to the on the topic!
                              my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                              <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                              <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                              <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                              Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                              What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Thomas was a lot better at ILB than he's been at OLB for the Pats. I'd love to see him moved back inside. He was such a great playmaker on the inside...

It was unfortunate that he had to be moved to the outside. I do like Vrabel better on the inside, but he doesn't like playing there for some reason...

For OLB's, TBC was cut by SF - I'd love to see him back with the Pats. He was creating some serious havoc in the backfield towards the end of his last year in New England.

As far as prospects go, for ILBs in a 3-4, oftentimes good prospects are the bigger true 4-3 college OLB's. A guy I like is Lee Robinson out of Alcorn State. Laurinitis is somewhat questionable, as a 3-4 ILB, but if he didn't have to start right away, he could be damn good. I also like Scott McKillop and Robert Francois

It's somewhat slim pickins at ILB for 3-4 teams this year, but if the Pats can get a smart player who has a frame with room to grow, they could find themselves a real gem in some of these prospects...
                                ________
                                Park Royal 2 Condominium Prathumnak

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information