Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linebacker Situation going forward and how it relates to next years draft.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
    A legit pass rush would make our secondary look a lot better. A corner to push Hobbs to nickel might do the trick too ;)

Another factor in all of this is that if we can move Cassel and avoid being screwed over by the cap, there's a few impact guys out there at both corner and safety. A few of the guys who might be good for us at safety can be had relatively cheap as well. There aren't really any linebackers out there, particularly outside guys. Dansby maybe, but the price tag he'll carry will be waaaay too high for us to pay when we need to deliver new contracts for Wilfork and Seymour.
    What do you think our chances are of re-signing both Wilfork and Seymour?
    Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

Originally posted by Bigburt63 View Post
      What do you think our chances are of re-signing both Wilfork and Seymour?
      I think it COULD happen, but there's a strong possibility we're seeing the last of Richard Seymour in a Patriots uniform.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

That is my sentiment. He will cost alot, is much older than Wilfork, has had injury issues in the past, and although he dominates at his position, it is much easier to replace a dominant 3-4 DE than it is to replace a dominant 3-4 NT.

Comment

Dansby would play inside in a 3-4. Once they move Cassel, most of the efforts will be filling little holes and contract extensions, but there might be room for a guy like Dansby. That'd be huge and cure many problems.

Safety is the biggest need though. A lot of the pass rush problems were directly related to health and inexperience. I'm fairly content with Hobbs and Wilhite as the starting CBs with Wheatley the 3rd guy... I think they'll be fine with a veteran or two mixed in...but they have to get safety help...only true MUST of the off-season.
          ________
          Infant Paxil
          Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 06:46 AM.

Comment

The only thing I would add to that is that some CB depth needs to be added, either via FA in veterans like you mentioned, or through the draft (Alphonso Smith is my favorite prospect at this point for CB)

Comment

Originally posted by Bigburt63 View Post
              The only thing I would add to that is that some CB depth needs to be added, either via FA in veterans like you mentioned, or through the draft (Alphonso Smith is my favorite prospect at this point for CB)
              I wouldn't object to us picking Smith at all. Hobbs is better at covering slot receivers than he is big time guys. Smith is also probably the best at playing the ball in the draft. A couple more interceptions a year certainly couldn't hurt.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I think smith is the type of ballhawking corner we could use to step in and be the potential #1 CB...it woudl take some time for him to adjust (more than likely) as it does for (almost) all rookie CB's. And supposedly the patriots were close to taking DRC last year, so they might want to take a corner in the first sometime soon.

Comment

Larry English would be my pick.

Then move Vrabel to SILB. English and Crable battle it out in PreSeason for the starting spot.

Comment

...which would also always us to keep all our pass rushers fresh. That's a big deal in today's NFL.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I like the idea of drafting English or Sintim.
                      I'm not sold on Cushings though. I guess I'm the only one.
                      Don't really know why- just doesn't seem to be the answer for me.
                      -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Guyton was a great find as a UDFA but I agree that he is better suited to be a backup/special teamer than a starter, but I still am high on him. He is versatile and very athletic and will at worst be a stud special teamer and backup. Crable is going to be a beast, can't wait to see him healthy. Woods has a ton of ability but he hadn't really proven much, but he made strides late last season. Redd is another talented guy who hasn't proven anything but the ability is there.

I think we go LB in the first round (Maybin, English, Sintim most likely) due to the 3-4 LB class being pretty top-heavy. There will be some solid DBs available in the second round and I think we will wait to address the secondary until then.

Comment

Originally posted by Nalej View Post
                          I like the idea of drafting English or Sintim.
                          I'm not sold on Cushings though. I guess I'm the only one.
                          Don't really know why- just doesn't seem to be the answer for me.
                          I like Cushing as an ILB in the 3-4 beside Mayo. Probably won't be that good of an OLB in the 34 though. We'll have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by HellonEarth84 View Post
                            I like Cushing as an ILB in the 3-4 beside Mayo. Probably won't be that good of an OLB in the 34 though. We'll have to wait and see.
                            Actually, I like him as an ILB.
                            I just got the sense everyone wanted him as an OLB and that just doesn't do it for me.
                            Yea, I can see him being affective in the middle with Mayo.

The thing is that at that 1st rd spot- I think we should be going after a English/Simtim type guy. OLB-pass rusher.

That's why I don't like the pick of Cushings.
                            -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

I would like to see us make a run at Channing Crowder, he and Mayo would be pretty nasty in the middle but I think we look for someone through the draft. Cushing could be a pretty decent fit inside, but as Nalej said I think a guy like English/Sintim or even Clay Matthews would be our best bet and have them begin at OLB.

Comment

Belichick seemed to be a big fan of Crowder when he was drafted. I think his injuries kept the Pats from taking him. He still has injury issues, but I could see them trying to go after him.

Outside of Crowder, Bart Scott, and maybe Angelo Crowell (injury-prone), there aren't a lot of great long-term options at ILB for the Pats. Tons of nice stop-gaps, though.
                                ________
                                WEB SHOWS
                                Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information