so who are the pats cb's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
    Hobbs never scared other teams the way a Justin Miller, Devin Hester, or Josh Cribbs did. He was really good at getting it out past the twenty but he very rarely takes it into opposing territory. Tate has a chance to be that caliber of a return man.

I don't know. I wouldn't call Hobbs an elite returner. If you're going by pure averaged yardage, then yeah. I never really thought of him that way though.
    You are really underrating Hobbs as a returner.

I'll use Miller, Hester and Cribbs as a comparison since you brought them up.

40+ yards
    Hobbs: 13/105=12.4% of his returns
    Cribbs: 22/209=10.5% of his returns
    Miller: 17/141=12.1% of his returns
    Hester: 6/94=6.4% of his returns

Touchdowns
    Hobbs: 3/105=2.9%
    Cribbs: 5/209=2.4%
    Miller: 5/141=3.5%
    Hester: 4/94=4.3%

Average
    Hobbs: 27.7 yards/return
    Cribbs: 26.3 yards/return
    Miller: 26.6 yards/return
    Hester: 22.8 yards/return

Comment

Chung returns kicks, too - right?

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Butler's amazing with the ball in his hands...he actually is very comparable to Hobbs.

I would've been fine trading Hobbs for 2 5th's, but then they traded those picks for the G (who I like as a back-up/Hochstein replacement)...and that killed it for me. Hobbs is very underrated and undervalued by most NE fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Mix View Post

40+ yards

Touchdowns

Average
          Maybe it's a grass is greener type situation, but I think Tate will be just as effective as Hobbs as a kick returner. Returns punts as well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by Mix View Post

40+ yards

Touchdowns

Average
            It's good that you show the numbers and it supports that Hobbs is a premier kick return. However, I feel like special teams units picked on Hester, Miller, and Cribbs more than they did Ellis Hobbs--in other words, kicking away from them, kicking towards corners, or doing extra preparation. It would be hard to quantify this discrepancy but I felt like teams pretty much always kicked straight to ellis hobbs and it didn't seem like he was being "game planned" against the way they do when I watch hester play. This factor would hurt the other guys averages.

Comment

I wouldn't call Hobbs one of the best kick returners in the league. He's pretty good, but not amazing.
              IIRC Hobbs had the best average yard per return in the NFL last season.

Therefore - YES, he is one of the best returners in the league.

Comment

Maybe it's a grass is greener type situation, but I think Tate will be just as effective as Hobbs as a kick returner. Returns punts as well.
                Total BS. Just admit that you were wrong. He even provided factual information.

BB in his recent interview also confessed that trading Hobbs was a spur of the moment trade. I think it will be one that he will regret.

December/January against teams like the Colts, Steelers, Chargers... an injured Shawn Springs and Terrence Wheatley... a Rookie Darius Butler who hasnt fully picked up the defensive scheme... all of a sudden our secondary that we thought was improved, will be back to looking like garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by HellonEarth84 View Post

BB in his recent interview also confessed that trading Hobbs was a spur of the moment trade. I think it will be one that he will regret.

December/January against teams like the Colts, Steelers, Chargers... an injured Shawn Springs and Terrence Wheatley... a Rookie Darius Butler who hasnt fully picked up the defensive scheme... all of a sudden our secondary that we thought was improved, will be back to looking like garbage.
                  OK lets look at that on the flip side. December/January time and Leigh bodden is back to pro bowl form, Shawn Springs has just had yet another game where he locks down T.O, Terrence Wheatley has the nickel spot and Butler, the highest rated pure corner in this draft by a lot of people, can't even get on the field. Another thing about the Hobbs return stats, you also have to factor in the blocking and things like that. While he done well you never really saw anything explosive.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Ok, way to be a dick about it. Nobody is coming on that strong and there's no reason to at all. I agreed that Hobbs is one of the better returners in the league but I wouldn't call him elite, or "one of the best".
                    Last edited by ElectricEye; 04-28-2009, 07:44 AM.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

BB in his recent interview also confessed that trading Hobbs was a spur of the moment trade.
                      Did he say that the Eagles called him or that he called the Eagles?

Comment

Hobbs was a good #2 corner and a very good kick returner. He may have not been the threat to take it the distance every time, but he was capable of doing that and he did a few times. He was, however, very effective at gaining good starting field position, he was very consistent in doing so, thats what makes him a very good KRer. There was no worry about him botching a return or fumbling (at least not much) and we knew we would start out with at least decent field position.
                        Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

ever since i saw the trade on the draft i knew it was a ******** decision by you guys. sorry, but it's true.

one of my favorite corners, and an excellent kick returner. i didn't know that you guys picked up a guard with the pick...and to see him go to the eagles, ugh.

RIP ST

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information