• Time
  • Show
Clear All

My early prediction is as follows:

(3) QB: BRADY, O'CONNELL, GUTIERREZ
    (4) RB: MARONEY, TAYLOR, FAULK, MORRIS
    (6) WR: MOSS, WELKER, GALLOWAY, LEWIS, SLATER, EDELMAN
    (4) TE: WATSON, THOMAS, BAKER, SMITH
    (9) OL: LIGHT, MANKINS, KOPPEN, NEAL, KACZUR, O'CALLAGHAN, VOLLMER, HOCHSTEIN, OHRNBERGER
    (3) SP. T: GOSTKOWSKI, HANSON, INGRAM
    (6) DL: WARREN, WILFORK, SEYMOUR, GREEN, BRACE, WRIGHT
    (5) OLB: THOMAS, WOODS, CRABLE, REDD
    (4) ILB: MAYO, BRUSCHI, GUYTON, PARIS LENNON, TANK WILLIAMS
    (4) S: MERRIWEATHER, SANDERS, CHUNG, McGOWAN
    (5) CB: BODDEN, SPRINGS, WHEATLEY, BUTLER, WILHITE

There are always suprises. Who makes the team because of Special Teams play....I think McGowan beats out Banta Cain. Slater makes it. All others on the team have a role or developmental value that is too great to try to slip them onto the PS (or they aren't elig. for the practice squad).

I think Williams will be used more as an ILB. I think we will sign Taylor. If we need another ILB we will sign SEAU during the season.

They keep 4 TE because at least two play special teams. I also think they might use Watson on Special Teams more.

Tate will be on th PUP/IR along with McKenzie.

Last cuts...Yates, Sphann, Aiken, Richardson, BJGE, LeKevin Smith, Ventrone, Banta-Cain

Yates may make the team if they think they can slip Ohrnberer onto the PS

Well there you have it IMHO
    Last edited by bhyg; 07-19-2009, 08:52 AM. Reason: UPDATE

Comment

QB: Brady, O'Connell, Gutierrez
      RB: Maroney, Faulk, Morris, Taylor, Green-Ellis
      TE: Watson, Baker, Smith
      WR: Moss, Welker, Galloway, Lewis, Aiken, Slater
      OT: Light, Kaczur, Britt, Vollmer
      OG: Mankins, Neal, Hochstein (C)
      OC: Koppen, Connolly (G)

DE: Seymour, Warren, Wright (NT), Green (NT)
      NT: Wilfork, Brace (DE)
      OLB: Thomas (ILB), Woods, Banta-Cain, Crable, Redd
      ILB: Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton, Alexander, Ciurciu (ST)
      CB: Butler, Wilhite, Wheatley, Springs, Bodden
      S: Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, Ventrone

K: Gostkowski
      P: Hanson
      LS: Ingram

PUP/IR/PS: McKenzie, Tate, O'Callaghan, Spann, LK Smith, Adams, Richardson, Harrison, Appleby, Craig, Pryor, Richard, Levoir, Bussey, O'Callaghan, Porter, Yates, Ohrnberger, Wendell, Johnson, Thomas, Devree, White, Kettani, Edelman, Hoyer
      Last edited by nepg; 05-08-2009, 11:50 AM.

Comment

An addition to the my prediction.

If they need another safety they will sign Harrison and Porter will be on the PS

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
          QB: Brady, O'Connell, Gutierrez
          RB: Maroney, Faulk, Morris, Taylor, Green-Ellis
          TE: Watson, Baker, Smith
          WR: Moss, Welker, Galloway, Lewis, Washington, Aiken
          OT: Light, Kaczur, Britt, Vollmer
          OG: Mankins, Neal, Hochstein (C)
          OC: Koppen, Connolly (G)

DE: Seymour, Warren, Wright (NT), Green (NT)
          NT: Wilfork, Brace (DE)
          OLB: Thomas (ILB), Woods, Banta-Cain, Crable, Redd
          ILB: Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton, Ciurciu (ST)
          CB: Butler, Wilhite, Wheatley, Springs, Bodden
          S: Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, Slater (WR/ST)

K: Gostkowski
          P: Malone
          LS: Ingram

PUP/IR/PS: McKenzie, Tate, O'Callaghan, Ventrone, Spann, LK Smith, Adams, Richardson, Harrison, Alexander, Appleby, Craig, Pryor, Richard, Levoir, Bussey, O'Callaghan, Porter, Yates, Ohrnberger, Wendell, Johnson, Thomas, Devree, White, Kettani, Edelman, Hoyer

Washington was cut a long time ago. Malone was cut earlier this week

Comment

QB; Tom Brady, Kevin O'Connell, Matt Guttierez

RB; Laurence Maroney, Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk

FB; Eric Kettani

TE; Ben Watson, Alex Smith, Chris Baker

WR; Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Joey Galloway, Greg Lewis, Sam Aiken

OT; Matt Light, Nick Kazcur, Sebastian Vollmer, Ryan O'Callaghan

OG; Logan Mankins, Stephen Neal, Russ Hochstein

OC; Dan Koppen

DE; Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green,

NT; Vince Wilfork, Ron Brace, Mike Wright

OLB; Adalius Thomas, Shawn Crable, Vince Redd, Pierre Woods, Tully Banta-Cain

ILB; Jerod Mayo, Tedi Bruschi, Gary Guyton, Eric Alexander

CB; Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs, Terrence Wheatley, Darius Butler, Jonathon Wilhite, Mike Richardson

S; Brandon Merriweather, James Sanders, Patrick Chung, Tank Williams, Brandon McGowan

K; Stephen Gostkowski
            P; Chris Hansen
            LS; Jake Ingram

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

We have had some serious injuries in the secondary lately but I doubt we'll have that many DB's on the active roster. You're right though because we will probably go through that many DB's by week 6 with our injury luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bhyg View Post
                Washington was cut a long time ago. Malone was cut earlier this week
                Forgot about Washington being cut, didn't know Malone was (they'll bring him back at some point). Fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Vito View Post

-With the Alex Smith addition, I would not be suprised to see Watson moved either. He is a FA next year if I remember correctly.
                  The more I think about it, the more surprised I am that we didn't move him already. Wouldn't be surprised to see if he went soon. Might be smart too. Smith as good as a receiver due to his ability to actually catch footballs and if vastly better as a blocker. If we can get anything for Watson, might make sense to help us carry an extra defensive player.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Watson does too much to just move the guy, and he's still pretty cheap for what he can do. They wouldn't get enough for him to warrant trading him. Dave Thomas is more likely to be cut as he's always injured and, as a result, isn't much more than a special teams player when he's able to get on the field.

Watson's become a good blocker, and he's a nice target in the back of the end zone. They don't run enough plays to get him the ball in space (screens, flats). They send him downfield too much...his real strength is when he's got the ball in his hands and someone has to try to tackle him. I just remember that insane catch & run he had against the Jaguars in the playoffs a few years ago...they never run plays like that for him. It's mind-boggling.

Comment

It's hard to give a tight end a clean release like that if they're lined up on the line of scrimmage. We've tried splitting him out wide and that hasn't really worked out too well. Maybe a few more dump off passes would do him some good but Watson always needed a bit of room to get going to full speed. We also run plenty of underneath stuff for him but Brady/Cassel never really seemed to have much confidence throwing to him. I wouldn't either given his history with the drops. Why throw the ball to Ben Watson who might not catch it when you're sure Wes Welker will?

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I just don't Watson sees the ball very well after a certain distance - I don't think it has that much to do with his hands... I think swing passes are the best way to utilize him in non-goalline situations.

Comment

Eh, he's not a very natural receiver. Good athlete, not a very natural pass catcher. Sort of sucks it's that simple but I think it is.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Ya, it's unfortunate. I think Chris Baker blows up this year. He was truly mis-used and under-utilized in New York.

Comment

The problem Watson has that worries me most is the drops AFTER catching the ball. If he was dropping them for incomplete passes that would be one thing but how many costly fumbles has he had without even any contact?

In his defense, his numbers really dropped last season but with the exception of a couple games where they seemed to throw a lot to him, the TE position overall was not used much in the passing game last year compared to previous seasons.

I think he has some skills, just as you said not a natural pass catcher. I don't think he should just be released though or even traded.

With the inevitable injuries they'll need to keep as many TE's around as possible, at least until the season is underway.
                              2012 Patriots Anti-Draft

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Comment

I don't think they'll be many injury problems with tight ends this year. Smith and Baker are pretty durable. I honestly think we're a better team with a combination of them on the field than with Watson out there.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information