4-2-5 Defense?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
    I just think a lot of people are too stuck in basic defenses - 3-4, 4-3, nickel, dime, prevent, goal line, etc. I remember Crennel's creative defenses with one down lineman or five or six linemen, and moving people around, etc. The defenses put out by Pees recently are classic fronts, but the thing is people already know how to gameplan for most stuff.

Think about when you take a test in school - the best way to go in confident and do well is by preparing for what questions are going to be on it. If they throw in a question you didn't research or weren't expecting, you're going to be worried and confused. Look at what the Dolphins did with the Wildcat - the Patriots weren't expecting it and got manhandled, then were prepared the next time around. Don't give the questions they know the answers to if you want them to fail.
    Right, which is why I think we will use a defense like this at times. We ran something like it at times last year and when you consider Chung a great fit as an in the box type I think we will use a similar look at times this year as well. We can give so many different looks because we draft players that are versatile and can line up in different spots. We don't like one dimensional players and that is why we pass on players that us as fans really like sometimes (Maualuga).

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
      I just think a lot of people are too stuck in basic defenses - 3-4, 4-3, nickel, dime, prevent, goal line, etc. I remember Crennel's creative defenses with one down lineman or five or six linemen, and moving people around, etc. The defenses put out by Pees recently are classic fronts, but the thing is people already know how to gameplan for most stuff.

Think about when you take a test in school - the best way to go in confident and do well is by preparing for what questions are going to be on it. If they throw in a question you didn't research or weren't expecting, you're going to be worried and confused. Look at what the Dolphins did with the Wildcat - the Patriots weren't expecting it and got manhandled, then were prepared the next time around. Don't give the questions they know the answers to if you want them to fail.
      A base defense just means that that is what, generally, you play or start out in most of the time. Even when we had only one down lineman, or the 5 or 6 guys walking around at the LOS, we still had a base defense. At times we switched it up (something I'd like to see more of right now), but we still had a base defense. Chung and Brace allow for us to switch around the looks quite a bit (assuming both stay healthy and play well enough).
      Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

Working...
      X

Debug Information