Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patriots interested in Michael Vick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Patriots interested in Michael Vick?

    So far, a number of places are reporting that New England may be interested in Michael Vick.

    "ESPN’s John Clayton released an article Tuesday afternoon and actually had New England listed as one of the teams that Michael Vick may end up with.Clayton says, 'If [Bill] Belichick is interested, he’d first have to convince his owner, Robert Kraft. That might be tough.'"

    Pat Kirwan also mentioned the Patriots as one of the top destinations for Vick, as well as Peter King.

    I personally would be very happy to see Vick in a Patriots jersey. With a top coach and a good group of leaders (Brady, Moss, Seymour, Bruschi), I think he'd be able to come in and be a nice contributor. I wouldn't put Brady's starting quarterback job in danger, but Vick could still be used as a Wildcat quarterback and in different spots (RB, WR?) designed to create mismatches. Here's a guy who's no doubt the most physically talented quarterback to ever take the field, with multiple Pro Bowl appearances and who's led his team to the NFC Championship, and he could play some other positions as well, who's not even 30 years old yet?

    If Brady went down again, I would feel very comfortable with Vick coming in at quarterback - I don't think O'Connell will be ready for a while, and besides that, I think it's unanimous that Vick is the better football player. Assuming he'd sign a relatively cheap deal, I'd have no reservations about signing Vick.

  • #2
    man that sure as hell would be weird seeing vick in a pats uniform. if he did sign with us, it would prolly only be a one year deal. very intruiging though, perfect wildcat formation qb

    Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

    Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

    Comment


    • #3
      You first need to trade for him.

      Comment


      • #4
        We would have to trade for him, and I would love to see Vick on the Pats I'm not going to lie. But weren't the Falcons trying to shop him for a seventh rounder on draft day and there weren't any takers? I love Vick on the field and if some team gives him a second chance I would love for the Pats to do it depending on the price. He is so talented and he can make plays with his arm and his legs, he could be a nice player for us.

        Comment


        • #5
          He is not worth the trouble.

          He's not good enough to run our offense as a true QB. He was never that good at QB as a passer regardless of drops.

          The chances of Brady going down in consecutive years is very low, which means Vick is a #2 QB. I doubt he'll be interested in that even if he is coming out of prison as a more modest man. I also doubt he's going to sign a low ball contract and the Pats have too many big names to sign this/next year to bother wasting money on Vick.

          Then there's the media circus that will follow him. No thanks. IMO, there's just no way all of that is worth it for a #2 QB. The only teams that should even be calling Vick are those teams w/no true #1 QB. Otherwise he's too much BS to deal with as a backup.

          Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

          Comment


          • #6
            Personally, I dont think Vick is a good fit in NE at all. Meaning, his only use would be an extremely controversial scout team QB to help deal with Miami's wild cat.

            Remember, Miami wasnt running the wild cat b/c it was some genius scheme, they were running it out of desperation because they couldnt block anyone with Satele, Alleman, Ndukwe, Frye aka the four stooges on the interior line.

            The Pats wont have have that problem, and if youre considering taking Tom Brady out of the game or from behind center for ANY reason then imo youre outhinking yourself. As a Fins fan, Id love to see Michael Vick come in and play some QB for you guys. Thats a play where Brady cant hurt us, and a play where Will Allen, or one of the CBs gets to take Brady and give him the business on the outside.

            Comment


            • #7
              Vick is out of football shape. It's unrealistic to think he'll be ready by week 1.
              With that said- that's why I do love the idea of him coming in with us.
              First off, I hate the idea of us using the wildcat. I like trick plays from time to time
              but if you guys are saying to run it like the Dolphins do then I hate it.
              I like the idea of Vick as a b/u QB but as a vicious 3rd/4th WR and can even line up as RB on passing downs and relieve Faulk from time to time.
              It's a very limited role for his first year back but I feel like it's unrealistic to espect much more from him after being gone so long from the game


              Also, no need to trade for him. Atlanta will eventually release him.
              -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nalej View Post
                Vick is out of football shape. It's unrealistic to think he'll be ready by week 1.
                With that said- that's why I do love the idea of him coming in with us.
                First off, I hate the idea of us using the wildcat. I like trick plays from time to time
                but if you guys are saying to run it like the Dolphins do then I hate it.
                I like the idea of Vick as a b/u QB but as a vicious 3rd/4th WR and can even line up as RB on passing downs and relieve Faulk from time to time.
                It's a very limited role for his first year back but I feel like it's unrealistic to espect much more from him after being gone so long from the game


                Also, no need to trade for him. Atlanta will eventually release him.
                If a team waits for the Falcons to release him a bidding war will start and his price will go way up. Realistically what a team will want is to give up a 6th or 7th and sign him to a low contract with performance triggers


                BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

                Comment


                • #9
                  Mike Reiss:

                  No, I don't. I'd rather have Julian Edelman, to be honest.
                  Respect = lost.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The fact that you called Randy Moss a role model is absolutely absurd.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
                      The fact that you called Randy Moss a role model is absolutely absurd.
                      By pretty much all accounts Randy Moss is one of the most friendly and popular players in New England's locker room. Media/fan perception of him and the Patriots organization's perception of him is very different.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I like the idea of Vick being a backup QB and a WR/RB type of player. Someone who can go out and make plays. I don't like him in a wildcat role (even though he would be awesome in that capacity) only because I hate taking the ball out of Brady's hands for so many reps a game. In the end I doubt that we sign him as Kraft has had a propensity for not wanting to bring guys with sever criminal backgrounds in.
                        Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                          By pretty much all accounts Randy Moss is one of the most friendly and popular players in New England's locker room. Media/fan perception of him and the Patriots organization's perception of him is very different.
                          Couldn't agree more. From all accounts he is not only a leader on the field but also in the locker room. Plus when Brady went down last year a lot of people thought he would have completely shut down but he was a big part in Cassell's development despite the fact that Cassell's biggest weakness(the deep ball) was Moss' biggest strength


                          BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think it'd be interesting to see what they could do with the guy. He definitely wouldn't be a QB, not even #2 (O'Connell will be fine, especially after spending the entire off-season & pre-season preparing as the starter). He'd be a WR, RB, RS, and general utility player. It'd be fun to watch... Wouldn't mind seeing a bubble pass from Brady-to-Vick-to-Moss...that'd be sweet.

                            But I just don't see bringing in Vick flying in Puritan or Liberal New England.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by nepg View Post
                              I think it'd be interesting to see what they could do with the guy. He definitely wouldn't be a QB, not even #2 (O'Connell will be fine, especially after spending the entire off-season & pre-season preparing as the starter). He'd be a WR, RB, RS, and general utility player. It'd be fun to watch... Wouldn't mind seeing a bubble pass from Brady-to-Vick-to-Moss...that'd be sweet.

                              But I just don't see bringing in Vick flying in Puritan or Liberal New England.
                              I think you're overrating O'Connell's ability to throw the ball. This guy wasn't even really a good passer in college. He has a big arm and some mobility. Michael Vick has a world-class arm and mobility. O'Connell was picked in the off-chance he had to spot start a game, or as future trade bait in hopes that the team could develop him to his full potential. Vick is definitely a better quarterback than him. For someone with a great track record as a starting QB (three Pro Bowls, high winning percentage, NFC Championship appearance), Vick gets a lot of hate.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information