No announcement yet.

2011 Patriots Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think when you lose it seems like there are holes all over the place. I personally would like to see upgrades at WR and OLB where guys just arent fooling anyone when you get down to the last handful of teams in the playoffs. It wouldnt kill me to see some combination of these guys out of the draft:

Heyward
    Jordan
    Watt
    Von miller
    Herzlich
    Baldwin
    Odowd
    Cannon
    Carimi

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
      What do you guys think of Marcus Cannon in the first?
      Doesn't fit as a T or a G in our system.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Patriots positions that will be open competitions as of now:
        WR 1 - The basic reason the Jets did what they did on defense is because the Patriots lack that big play-making threat on offense. It's not just about being able to get deep. It's about being able to get open at will. It's about forcing the coverage into a zone scheme. It's about being able to get a first down just about any time you want. The Patriots lost this when Randy Moss decided to leave (in 2009. . . )

LT - Sebastian Vollmer is a better tackle than Matt Light and it's painfully obvious.

LG - if Mankins doesn't stay

C - Dan Koppen is responsible for a large amount of the pressure that got to Brady.

RG - Dan Connolly is a backup (like I was saying in mid-season after he was playing so badly at LG)

RT - When (hopefully) Vollmer moves to LT, someone will have to take this spot.

DE (Ty Warren will likely win one of them) - Ron Brace, Gerard Warren, Brandon Deaderick, and everyone else that played "30" front 34 DE this year do not belong starting on a team this talented. The line was an abortion at times. They failed to control the LOS regularly. They are the bulk of the reason the Patriots run defense isn't one of the top 5 in the NFL. The cut-back lanes they leave open are wide enough for an 18 wheeler to drive through. This is easily one of the top 2 needs on this team.

UT (nickel packages) - This team can't rush the passer for ****. The fact they lead the NFL in interceptions is purely the result of outstanding CB play from McCourty and some good safety play from Chung (albeit some lucky play, but being in the right position helps... cough Meriweather cough).

OLB - This couldn't be more painful obvious how bad this group is. They can't get to the QB. They can't hold the edge. The only thing they do right is backside pressure.

CB 2 - Does anyone think that there is a chance that Leigh Bodden doesn't play in 2011 either? He's an injury concern. Kyle Arrington hasn't exactly blown anyone away either.

CB 3 - I think Devin McCourty is what every Patriots fan thought Darius Butler was going to be. Too bad he's going to be competing for a roster spot next year. With 3 CBs already better than him and my huge lobbying to bring in a 4th and maybe even draft a 5th... can we seriously believe he won't be needing to step his game up big time?

S - Brandon Meriweather's days are numbered. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but he probably leads the league in busted coverages and bad angles to the ball carrier.

FB - Sammy Morris is a solid player, but I just don't think his tank has much left. I'm a huge proponent of drafting a guy like Owen Marecic or Stanley Havili.
        **** her in da *****!

Comment

So basically we're ****** outside of Brady.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
            So basically we're ****** outside of Brady.
            This team is loaded with possibilities right now (Because of the 3 top 33 picks) and great "cap space", I think that opens up more opportunities to make changes.

That said, we have played really bad at some of those positions and it's been the games we've lost.
            **** her in da *****!

Comment

Yeah looking at it that way, thats pretty rough. We did get to 14-2 tho with those players, so while it may look bad to us, we have it alot better then a lot of other teams this year.

Originally posted by WMD
              Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
              Originally posted by gpngc
              I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Yeah. I'm not being realistic or holding this team to a normal standard. This is a good team and I am talking about it like I am trying to make it into a franchise-mode Madden team (where you can go 16-0 every year with some creative GM work).

That said, I'm just listing all of the possible positions where competition could be injected or induced.

I mean, safety is highly unlikely to garner a draft pick even if Meriweather is gone. Chung, Sanders, Barrett, Brown, etc are still on the team. So that kind of competition is internal. So would be the Matt Light vs Sebastian Vollmer.

Then there are other spots where it's obvious we just don't have the men on the roster right now like DE.

Sometimes, a player just needs to mature. Maybe that's all that's wrong with Connolly's and Brandon Tate's game right now.

The last type of competition is just not that important, like nickel DB and FB.

I mean, if I had to pick a number of positions that need serious upgrades before fans should get too excited about a deep post-season run, I would say probably 3. (DE, OLB, WR #1) or maybe 4 (G/C) This team was a hugely over-achieving team this year. There is no way it should have won 14 games, especially the way it won some of the games against playoff teams. The defense is average to below average (in terms of production, not including take-aways) and the offense was average to slightly above average (excluding points).
                **** her in da *****!

Comment

Well this Offense was far above average. We were fifth all time in points scored in a season and averaged 31 points a game. It was just exploitable, and playing a division rival for the third time didn't help. If we had scored on that first drive instead of Brady throwing a pick who knows how the tempo of the game would of changed.

With that said, I'd put O-line help just as big a need as the other three. We always manage to find some gems in the later rounds with O-line help which means we could focus on WR, OLB, DE. Some how don't be surprised if we don't take any of those positions with the first few picks.

Originally posted by WMD
                  I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

So, now that we pick #28... Who should the targets be?

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
                      Undersized skill position players and defensive guys who might not be incredibly talented, but they offer versatility and special teams potential.

Comment

We can't base our draft on one game. (the last one)

I think offensively, all year we've had some OL problems, we definitely need to invest heavily there.

I think the real need is on D. We need a stud DE, badly. Wilfork having to play DE is not a positive.

OLB is also a huge need. I think Cunningham will blossom, but Ninko, Tully(who was invisible last game; expect him cut), just aren't going to get it done. We can't get by on roleplayers anymore and need some athletes.

3rd-4th round we should take a corner, or a ballhawk safety. Butler should be #4, and we need a nickelback who is reliable.

Safetywise, on 3rd and longs, someone who can cover, cover, cover, i don't care if he hits like a girl. Get chung off and put in a cover guy.
                        Breed's QB Philosophy:
                        Originally posted by Breed
                        At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy

Comment

One thing is for certain; I'm so ******* sick of this "OH MY GOD PATRIOTS O LINE SO GOOD" **** we've heard for years. It's been a problem for a long time and the only reason it hasn't shown up statistically is because Brady's footwork within the pocket is as good as it is.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
                            I'm sticking with Rodney Hudson, Mike Pouncey, Stefan Wisniewski, or another potential OL.

Muhammad Wilkerson could be a surprise name.
                            **** her in da *****!

Comment

Well some of the sacks were on Brady towards the end, after he had a ton of time in the pocket. That can be attributed to early sacks that shook Brady up in the first half, which was the O-lines problem. Don't expect to keep Mankins, I think he walks.

Originally posted by WMD

Comment

Can we discuss how much Darius Butler sucks? I feel like 90% of completions against us are on him and I don't know if I've ever seen him even break up a pass.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information